are these tax deductible?

last year during a period of unemployment i moved to sydney to find work. While i couldnt land a job there, I was in the meanwhile helping my friend do some marketing work for a development project to sell some apartments.

Can some of my expenses such as travel, food, accomodation be tax deductible from that under my personal tax?

If not, can I move them into my company, to claim that I intended to do marketing as a business?

last year during a period of unemployment i moved to sydney to find work. While i couldnt land a job there, I was in the meanwhile helping my friend do some marketing work for a development project to sell some apartments.

Can some of my expenses such as travel, food, accomodation be tax deductible from that under my personal tax?

If not, can I move them into my company, to claim that I intended to do marketing as a business?

obviously as attrill said you would have had to declare the income to have any chance of deducting.

travel - from home to work - no. only travel related to your work.

food - no

accommodation - no, unless you were away from home for business (same goes for food). you say you moved to sydney so that is your home.

i doubt moving them to your company would be successful if you were audited. 'intention' does not matter - just because i intend to mow lawns doesn't mean my lawnmower is deductible.

sorry all bad news from me. with more detail the answers may be different.

Back