Are we having our own punk movement?

I believe that punks were born from the disaffection of youth in the UK in the '70s. Perhaps because we in Oz don't have enough big problems, Gen Y is widely regarded as politically lazy. Obviously that's a generalisation. But you don't see streets full of marching uni students these days...
Which is why I've been a bit surprised by the radical stylings of some new posters over the past few months. Then I saw this thread referring to a property bear forum where they were talking about 'slumlords.' Is Marxism alive and well & brewing on the www as 'property bears?' When did the apparently economic arguments distil into political ones, with their attendant wrath?
Is the 'affordability crisis' really so prevalent that we are creating our own disaffected punk movement? Is there such a class strata now? These guys are angry. Perhaps it is the fault of my generation, which was quite remiss in teaching discipline & individual responsibility to its children.
I don't know if this is good for society or not. (But I do hope they adopt the mowhawk).

punk movement? not here - in the UK - well, just look at the ***** going down there.

the more 'they' try to control, the more anacharnistic it gets, so they control more, and the fabric dissolves more again.

but 'they' still don't get it.

1 post with the word slumlord, a word which I first picked up from US commercial tv shows not Karl Max and we have a "movement" ?

Was the poster who used the word slumlord actually Gen Y ?

Punk as an authentic political protest lasted about 10 minutes. Then it was about fashion (as it is now and has been since).

Its has been well documented that punk was mostly a middle class phenomenon in contrast to its supposedly working class ethos.

As for now, i think they're called 'hipsters', at least in my neighborhood. And they're pretty much too lazy to care about much at all. Except riding a stoopid fixy around.

I wouldn't worry too much MsJade. They all grow up.

Perhaps it is the fault of my generation, which was quite remiss in teaching discipline & individual responsibility to its children.
I don't know if this is good for society or not. (But I do hope they adopt the mowhawk).
To me it just confirms the innocence of that period in time,prior too the start of the power of the internet,as for all the "Punk" bands,the ones that are still alive still play the same message 35 years on..willair..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPj-8_wOZcA&feature=related

Not many punks but the emo and goth population is exploding.

As a Gen Y, fresh out of school (ish) I actually think these trends are slowing and were much more prevalent 3-5 years ago. Although I do believe kids are getting ruder and don't respect their elders as much.

Although I do believe kids are getting ruder and don't respect their elders as much.

Even that is nothing new...

Socrates
is quoted saying the following regarding things that he thinks have
been neglected: "I mean such things as these: ? when the young are to
be silent before their elders; how they are to show respect to them by
standing and making them sit; what honour is due to parents; what
garments or shoes are to be worn; the mode of dressing the hair;
deportment and manners in general. You would agree with me? ? Yes."

The Greek philosopher Plato studied under Socrates. Plato complained
about the youth of the day, also. "What is happening to our young
people? They disrespect their elders, they disobey their parents. They
ignore the law. They riot in the streets inflamed with wild notions.
Their morals are decaying. What is to become of them?" I think this is
a direct quote, but can't find the reference at the moment.

Here's another one:
"I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on
frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond
words... When I was young, we were taught to be discreet and
respectful of elders, but the present youth are exceedingly wise
[disrespectful] and impatient of restraint" (Hesiod, 8th century BC).

I was thinking the same thing. Goths and Emos are a dying breed in Sydney. But the poster is from WA so it might be different there.

As a Gen Y, fresh out of school (ish) I actually think these trends are slowing and were much more prevalent 3-5 years ago. Although I do believe kids are getting ruder and don't respect their elders as much.

As a gen Y, can I say your observations and generalisations just make me want to roll my eyes. Seriously. :rolleyes:

Sorry to offend, rugrat. That's why I said it's 'obviously...a generalisation.' ;)Similarly, every boomer is not behaving in a profligate manner, refusing to grow up and spending the kids' inheritance ( I ASSUME).

I made an assumption about the age of these posters based on the way they expressed themselves.

1 post with the word slumlord, a word which I first picked up from US commercial tv shows not Karl Max and we have a "movement" ?

Nope, not from that post actually. It just underscored the fact that PIs are referred to as 'slumlords' and the anti-property crowd seem to be using a lot of ethical arguments rather than purely economic ones. I was referring more to the increase in posters who are angry about greedy property investors and having a rail against capitalism and how unfair 'the system' is by ostensibly denying people a home. life 2.0 is a recent one but not the only one. I just don't remember so many of these posts in years gone by. Thus my question about the level of affordability perhaps creating some perceived underclass.

Was the poster who used the word slumlord actually Gen Y ?
Sorry - I wasn't referring to that post but the posts from some of the angry bears.

It just underscored the fact that PIs are referred to as 'slumlords' and the anti-property crowd seem to be using a lot of ethical arguments rather than purely economic ones. I was referring more to the increase in posters who are angry about greedy property investors and having a rail against capitalism and how unfair 'the system' is by ostensibly denying people a home.

Yeah that's what I do not see more of today than yesterday./.. I've alywas heard those terms and words and still do today

What I've found is that I no longer relate to the thigns as much as I thought I could before, so sometimes they stand out to me and I think about them being wrong etc - I belvie the thing that has chagned most is us indiviudally, not the yout around us. We're getting OLD ! So we blame the youth for turning bad to cover it !!!!!

Hrmmm. You know the funny thing is I have only heard the term slumlord and the likes from those which you would identify as lower middle class. All true working class individuals I know don't even seem to have a clue who landlords are, other than they are the people sending the rent. PM's on the other hand, such individuals hate. :)

Back