Are we legally obliged to do routine inspections?

I self manage one of my six properties because it's just down the road so it's pretty easy.

But since I know the tenant pretty well I don't bother with inspections anymore. I did it for the first few years but that was that.

Now I'm wondering in the unlikely event that one day something goes wrong (i.e. tenant trashes the place), would the insurer be able to deny a claim because I haven't regularly inspected and therefore should have been able to see this coming sooner?

Should I make a habit of inspecting it more often? I remember when I was renting at my old place. In the 7 years I was there I literally never had an inspection, I guess the agent just trusted me.

If you are with an insurer that insures self manage then yes you need to show evidence that you mitigated losses by running inspections on a regular basis

Our inspections are done quarterly - it is mainly to check if all is ok and to see if there are any issues that need to be sorted.

However I can't recall one single time when an insurer has asked for routine inspection reports for any claim.

What would they need them for?

If tenant does anything dodgy there (such as creates a drug lab, or has some kind of injury and wants to blame you for it), you'll need to show evidence that you've been inspecting the property and maintaining it to a standard. Otherwise you're at fault :)

If tenant does anything dodgy there (such as creates a drug lab, or has some kind of injury and wants to blame you for it), you'll need to show evidence that you've been inspecting the property and maintaining it to a standard. Otherwise you're at fault :)

You'd make a good PM Dave :)

However I can't recall one single time when an insurer has asked for routine inspection reports for any claim.

What would they need them for?

I did an accidental damage claim as part of a larger claim last year. I relied on the inspection reports to show the carpet was damaged in a short period of time and not a gradual deterioration/wear and tear like the insurer initially rejected it as

I've also been asked for routine reports for claims, and VCAT.

They come in handy when you can show that something has dramatically changed.

Maybe the excuse to do the inspection is " insurance requires it "

That way no hard feelings and you can just do a quick walk through and have a chat :)

Reactions: S.T
Maybe the excuse to do the inspection is " insurance requires it "

That way no hard feelings and you can just do a quick walk through and have a chat :)

Yep, this is spot on if you have problems just saying you want to inspect as it's been 6 months.

I find they usually have a few small maintenance items when I inspect, plus good to have a chat and see how everything is going. Guess it depends on your tenants though.

Would strongly suggest doing at least 6month inspection. I recently made a claim for tenant damage and loss of rent after tenant in self managed property decided to cut holes in floor, walls and roof to set up his indoor 'green' house.

I hadn't inspected the property, but I had proof that I had attempted to. The insurer did recommend more frequent inspections and even went to say that I had rights to inspect the property if I thought the property was vacant (judge at rental tribunal also said this)

Apart from the points mentioned above, we always tried to attend an inspection at least once a year.

Our intention was to have a good look around to detect any issues or maintenance that was not yet a problem but where timely attention would prevent future bigger problems.
Marg.

Back