Are you a mortgage broker or lender? Can you give me quick advice?

I seek some general advice about how much I could potentially borrow as a top up loan from my IP as security.

I purchased the house in early 2000 for $220k and now assume its worth $520k thus have plenty of equity.

Current mortgage is $190k and repayment is around $920 PCM and thus its breaking even/ positively geared. I want to borrow $30k to buy income producing shares and thus claim a tax deduction on the interest. My tax bill this year was $1700 and thus I dont want to have to pay tax. It makes sense for me to borrow to buy shares which return in income stream, tax effective and potentially increase in value.

I just did my tax return and my Notice of assessment states that my taxable income is $27k. Last year it was around $25k. I dont have a job but earn money from online saver account. i dont know if this will pose a problem ie not working at the moment?

If I list more information below can a mortgage broker punch the numbers and tell me if I can successfully get an additional top up of $30K

- taxable income: $27k interest income from near $500k in online savers account and positive gearing from IP. The savings is not with the bank where my mortgage is. But I can thus prove good savings record
- Interest only repayments $920pcm
- 2 credit cards $20k limit nil balances. I think they take a percentage of these limits?
- Rent is $480 per week from the IP.
- I live overseas at the moment and thus don?t know what to put down as monthly living expenses but maybe put $250 a week
- no overseas income
- monthly insurance premium on the IP $100

I cant think of anything else. Is anyone able to tell me if they think a bank is likely to lend me $30k or $50k based on the figures above?

I really appreciate your opinion. A yes or no answer will thus save me wasting time filling all the forms out.

I did have a $50k LOC with cba but they took it away from me without asking and later said that I hadn?t used it for 3 years. Some new govt nanny state legislation

Many thanks

I haven't got time to work it out, but this is a small loan size so check the minimum split available with your bank and ask them if you can qualify while you are at it.

WIll be hard without a job.

I will put my hand up and say; NO.

Your file;

Pro
- You have equity

Con
- You're not working
- High consumer debt, your $20,000 CC alone = $600 per month in serving from the banks view
- Your overseas
- Your stated purpose of "wanting to buy shares" will def give you a negative tick as well
- Your living expense will still be based on the Aus standard as your applying for a loan in Aus, and hence you may come back one day....Min for single is around $1,250 per month.
- You're not working ;)

----
To be honest you really need a job in order to apply for a loan under NCCP rules. :eek:

Yeah I don't think so. If you actually owned shares producing income over the past 2 years then maybe since you can show an investment stream of income.

Back