Are you an Entrepreneur?

People tend to think you're a bit of a w.nker if you publicise it.

I'm part of that crowd. By all means promote a cause but why say how much (I think you have to in a large companies annual statement).

I'd tell you how much I donate. But then I'd consider myself a w***er.

I'm part of that crowd. By all means promote a cause but why say how much (I think you have to in a large companies annual statement).

I'd tell you how much I donate. But then I'd consider myself a w***er.

Hahaha yeah, I don't advertise that I donate monies. It's just something I do. No biggie, you know?

So far last 6 months I've done a few renos, lots and lots of painting (roofs, exterior, interior, stencil), a handful of mitre 10 renos. Been asked to renovate a few yoghurberrys and large restaurants, build houses and undertake extensive resi renovations which I turned down due to lack of experience at this time.

NHG, do you have licences to carry on these businesses? Work on residential buildings requires either a trade or building licence. Lack of experience isn't the issue it is illegal to carry on the work of a builder, conveyancer, finance broker etc are all businesses requiring licensing.

NHG, do you have licences to carry on these businesses? Work on residential buildings requires either a trade or building licence. Lack of experience isn't the issue it is illegal to carry on the work of a builder, conveyancer, finance broker etc are all businesses requiring licensing.

Yes, of course. My partner/network have all these licences. Registered with the relevant authorities.

Each trade has its own PTY LTD.

I know plenty of far more successful entrepreneurs who don't possess or possess opposite attributes of that article. The short of it is, an entrepreneur shouldn't be bound by formulas like that.

You're hardly an entrepreneur when all you do is sit and wait for growth on your property.

Developing? Maybe. But even that's pushing it.

would say an entrepreneur is someone who does something out of the box, something new not the traditional ways etc.

again nowadays it depends how much cashflow.

Most of the ones i know who made it really big came from pretty well to do families - like opening restaurant franchises in the city and now even moving to new zealand to electronic dart stores in the city.

when the family throws a couple a million into their ideas, it really jumpstarts their progression. it's not easy for the guy who creates a new idea to make it big. Unless it is some IT app. the only guy i know who made it big without any backing was a guy who created a concierge moving company in shanghai and sold it to a NASDAQ listed company.

..... and now even moving to new zealand to electronic dart stores in the city.

What's one of these? Just a shop(s) selling the boards or a dart hall where people can go and play (like a pool hall)? Why NZ? Is it working?

Just interested - not come across it before.

there are the fad of asian restaurant types (focusing on certain cuisine, for. e.g. there is like the papparich franchise, it had one in QV, now it is everywhere from knox, nunawading, doncaster, glen waverley etc even sydney and nz and also bubbletea franchises etc. maybe not everyone's preferred food, but they are always packed

the daiso franchises like spreading around melbourne selling 2.80 items.

there is fad of idarts membership shops (branches oepning up in the CBD) - where ppl can play

I REALLY want to start up a Bounce. How much fun would that be? So popular at the moment too. Being able to open something like that then franchise/or open multiple sites would be awesome. Then sell and move onto the next thing.....

Someone who waits for their property to grow is a rent-seeker, not entrepreneur. Actually zero to minimal value add to society, but that's what democracy and liberalism has brought us. Can't be helped. In a perfect society, our smartest guys would be technicians, scientists, mathematicians rather than property investors, hedge fund managers or factory owners.

So Deltaberry , you sound like a very switched on fellow . What types of business are you looking at and where do you see good opportunities for start up business right now ?

Talking of smart people I have seen some very smart people fail in business and have also seen people who I thought were total drongos do quite well . You cannot always tell .

A lot of really smart guys I've known are not so good sometimes working with people or solving general problems that come up .

Delta , how do you weigh the value of learning stuff from the street as opposed to learning from institutions . I read in another thread ages ago from people who have very well credentialed academic qualifications that nothing you learn can teach you to sell like actually doing it ? The faster you fail the quicker you learn or something like that .

So Deltaberry , you sound like a very switched on fellow . What types of business are you looking at and where do you see good opportunities for start up business right now ?

Talking of smart people I have seen some very smart people fail in business and have also seen people who I thought were total drongos do quite well . You cannot always tell .

A lot of really smart guys I've known are not so good sometimes working with people or solving general problems that come up .

Delta , how do you weigh the value of learning stuff from the street as opposed to learning from institutions . I read in another thread ages ago from people who have very well credentialed academic qualifications that nothing you learn can teach you to sell like actually doing it ? The faster you fail the quicker you learn or something like that .

I wouldn't get him started.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by oc1
You're hardly an entrepreneur when all you do is sit and wait for growth on your property.
Exactly - waiting for the equity fairy to **** herself.

It's not glamorous. It's not exciting. But boy oh boy the pay rate is OK when she does.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBS0OWGUidc

Who cares what you call yourself. Show me the money.

Yeah , I would have to agree with that . Who cares .

I think anyone who does things to create income other than a PAYE job is an entrepreneur.

The person who starts a business, who buys a franchise for one, who renovates houses, who develops r/e - all creating and doing something not the normal person is doing.

It may not be at the level of bringing a rock band to Aus to play to 100,000 fans, but it is still a level of entrepreneurship.

Exactly - waiting for the equity fairy to **** herself.

It's not glamorous. It's not exciting. But boy oh boy the pay rate is OK when she does.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBS0OWGUidc

Who cares what you call yourself. Show me the money.

I love that clip.

I always had some combo of job/business/investing in my head but looking back I was totally employee minded. This is changing.
I read "losing my virginity" bransons autobiography some time back and realised he wasn't perfect or overly intelligent just courageous and dedicated. I decided I want that.

Of course I am as small fry as they come but you have to start somewhere.

To me an entrepreneur is someone who comes up with a new way of doing things and creates value from it.

IIRC, entrepreneur is derived from the French word for 'between jobs'. I actually take jackbak's perspective on the definition as my personal definition.

Am I entrepreneurial? In high school my brothers school was selling lolly bags that dyed your tongue for $0.50. He would buy them, I would take them to my school and sell them for $1.00 ("cost price") to friends, and $2.00 to acquaintances. I created the initial demand by dying my tongue different colours in class and then getting kicked out for sticking my tongue out at the teacher. Nowadays, I sit in a safe job earning a steady income, and use my creativity at trying to make my workplace more efficient.

In the not too distant future I'll get tired of the bureaucracy and deadshits, and I'll go and work for an organisation that will allow me the freedom (just have to let my current work finish paying for my MBA). And yes, they know I'll likely leave once I've finished, they figure they're getting the value now as I'm doing it after hours

Back