Are you happy?

Pretty simply question in the title, but I want to break it down a bit more.

Note: when I use the word "happiness", I'm not talking about occasional spikes e.g. reaching a goal and feeling great for a short while, having a great holiday and buzzing for a week after returning etc. I'm talking about permanent changes in your moment-to-moment happiness. Happiness in each and every 3 second interval of your life (also know as "the present moment" – the ONLY time that ever matters. Right now. The past is a memory, and the future never arrives).

1) Has your level of happiness permanently increased as your income/net worth has?
2) Has your level of happiness permanently increased as your portfolio has?
3) What's had the biggest positive, longterm impact on your happiness?
4) What's had the biggest negative, longterm impact on your happiness?
5) Those who have reached "financial freedom", has your permanent level of happiness increased?
6) Any words of wisdom, insights, books, experiences, anything you recommend tor SSers to increase their happiness and wellbeing?
7) How old are you?

I ask only for considered, honest answers.

Happiness

1) Has your level of happiness permanently increased as your income/net worth has? - Yes. Started 11 year ago on a low single income. Replaced my income a few years ago..
Yes - freedom from dependence on job and in control of my own future.
- self belief, get the facts, ignore the negative chatter..
4) What's had the biggest negative, longterm impact on your happiness? - being mindful that others are not in the same position.
5) Those who have reached "financial freedom", has your permanent level of happiness increased? Yes. I do not feel like I am struggling to get "there" anymore.
6) Any words of wisdom, insights, books, experiences, anything you recommend tor SSers to increase their happiness and wellbeing? Keep learning, keep focused, keep going.
7) How old are you? 63yrs old

Charlotte30

Happiness is greatly affected by nett cash flow.

You can have a good deal of nett worth, but if the bills aren't getting paid, or if they are a struggle, it creates a lot of stress and general unhappiness.

Anyone who informs you that their money does not give them any happiness is a liar.

If that were true, they would give away the money and happiness would ensure not only to them but to the beneficaries.

Very few give away their wealth.

I'm a little younger than Charlotte, but older than most here on SS. I think perhaps age has a little to do with being content but here are my answers...

Richard Feynman;1024472 1) Has your level of happiness permanently increased as your income/net worth has? [COLOR="Red" said:
Not in my case. I'm happier now because the hard years of constantly being on call 24/7 are over. Our youngest is in his final year of school. Not having to cook for five people very night of every week of every year is a huge weight off my shoulders.[/COLOR]

I would have to say yes to this, because there is more money to do what we want to do. In our early days, we didn't have two coins to rub together, unless we sold our IP. Sometimes I would drive past it when we were really poor, just to remind myself that we "could" sell it and have an easy life. But I always knew selling it also meant it would never pay me income. We still had to sell a couple of houses to fund our lifestyle choice, ie. me home with the kids. Each time it was a hard decision financially, but an easy one emotionally.

Being happy in our marriage. There have been hard times when being happy is not easy, and it seemed that there was always one child making life difficult at any one time, but generally, I'd call us a happy family (certainly NOT Brady Bunch happy :D) with the usual dramas thrown in.
4) What's had the biggest negative, longterm impact on your happiness?
The major one has been recent - losing my mother (and best friend) three years ago, and feeling lost and not having someone on the end of the phone when I need to discuss something, and then losing my father last year Everything changes. For me, having three kids and a husband, it is the small things that can have a major impact on my day to day happiness, like having a disagreement with one of the boys (young adults now).

Or frustration at stupid little things that I should be able to control, like having an argument with one of the kids, or getting annoyed at something my husband will do or not do, wanting to drop 5kg and the frustration of not being able to do that, not liking what I see in the mirror as I age. All these are stupid but I think most of us have these little irritations, feel we could have handled that argument better, "could" decide not to put that profiterole into my mouth etc.

These sound so insignificant and mostly they are pushed away as being stupid, but we all know how much little things like this can upset us. I'm just being honest ;).

Another one that I think of a lot is all the renovating we have done over many years and there is always that little thought in the back of my mind about asbestos. We've ripped out plenty of it, vacuumed it up before we knew how dangerous it was. My uncle died of it, and I do think about it a lot. I know there is nothing I can do, and worrying will not change anything, but it is always sitting there somewhere in my brain, gnawing away. What if we have inadvertently given ourselves or one of the boys a killer in the making, whilst doing something that we love doing - renovating.

I know this sounds really stupid, and nobody knows what is around the corner, but it is all the more frustrating because it was something the company knew about and kept quiet. Meanwhile we were all ripping this stuff out without knowing the danger.

It sounds stupid even saying this, but it is an annoying little part of me that I just cannot shake, and something I do think about regularly and all the more annoying because there is nothing I can do about it.

5) Those who have reached "financial freedom", has your permanent level of happiness increased?
I'm happier due to things other than financial freedom (as per above) but certainly financial "freedom" plays a part.

6) Any words of wisdom, insights, books, experiences, anything you recommend tor SSers to increase their happiness and wellbeing?
Change what you can change, and try not to worry about what you cannot change. I need to try to do this more myself, clearly.

7) How old are you? 53 this month - scary :eek:

Sorry for another looooong post :-O

Answers in red again my friend

Note: when I use the word "happiness", I'm not talking about occasional spikes e.g. reaching a goal and feeling great for a short while, having a great holiday and buzzing for a week after returning etc. I'm talking about permanent changes in your moment-to-moment happiness. Happiness in each and every 3 second interval of your life (also know as "the present moment" – the ONLY time that ever matters. Right now. The past is a memory, and the future never arrives).

1) Has your level of happiness permanently increased as your income/net worth has? I don't think so, I'd even say, no. Not at all (but I'm still working for my portfolio so am not yet free, this may or may not change my happiness in the future. Time will tell
2) Has your level of happiness permanently increased as your portfolio has? No
3) What's had the biggest positive, longterm impact on your happiness? My Wife, Family and lifestyle
4) What's had the biggest negative, longterm impact on your happiness? Having to go to work to support my property portfolio
5) Those who have reached "financial freedom", has your permanent level of happiness increased? Cannot answer
6) Any words of wisdom, insights, books, experiences, anything you recommend tor SSers to increase their happiness and wellbeing? Find what makes you happy, this could be a job you love. Helping people less fortunate here, or overseas, playing guitar in a band, anything. But I think true happiness comes from being content with who you are, no magtter where you are or what you're doing right now. I still struggle with that, may have some depression at times too, seems like it but it comes and goes. Having a good sleep really helps
7) How old are you? 32

An interesting question....

Investing has made me happier, not exactly as a direct result of the $, but moreso the freedom that those extra $ provides. Money buys you options, simple as that for me.

Anyone who informs you that their money does not give them any happiness is a liar.

If that were true, they would give away the money and happiness would ensure not only to them but to the beneficaries.

Very few give away their wealth.

I don't think anyone would say they get no happiness at all from money but there are plenty of situations where it wouldn't be as valuable as some perceive it would be - i.e. health issues, especially cases where no treatment is currently available or if there are problems getting diagnosed etc.

Extremely happy. I love what I do and do it because I choose to not because I have to.

You will find other people on this forum who have also moved from careers outside property to ones in property who work ridiculous hours now. When you do something you love it is not work.

Doesn't mean my life is stress free,(I have a basketball team's worth of young children for a start) but at 39 it just keeps getting better.

D

Thanks for much for the detailed and honest answers everyone. You're feeding my insatiable curiosity. Keep it coming.

In my own case, having yet to purchase IP#1 (not long though) I can't answer all of my own questions but here goes:

1) Has your level of happiness permanently increased as your income/net worth has? - Yes, but only up to the point where I could and did purchase my PPOR. Since then, income increases have had zero impact on happiness.

N/A

- I can't split this.

1) Mindfulness meditation. The ability to find complete and utter contentment any time, any place, in the present moment is the greatest trick I've discovered by far. It creates immunity from circumstance and gives an ability to clear the mind of all things past and present, if only for a moment, to find a deep sense of satisfaction "in the now". You will be stunned how gratifying, uplifting and fulfilling this technique is once honed (it does take a lot of practice).

This is enhanced further by the understanding that your entire life, all you ever have is the present moment. (I've mentioned this here before). The past is a thought that arises in the present. The future is a thought that arises in the present. Getting behind this sea of thought and experiencing what is true in this very moment is wondrous.

2) That my biggest passion (pursuit of knowledge/understanding, various areas, generally science) is essentially free, endless and every new thing of interest that I learn permanently elevates my levels of happiness by adding a new layer of pleasure and satisfaction in both in the act, and as a longterm result of the act.

I've also had major breakthroughs in wellbeing by understanding how the brain works (I've studied it at length), realising that everything you can possibly experience in life is generated within the mind, from inputs from the external world.

Further, having a grasp of the evolution of the universe and life on earth really puts things in perspective. The fact that I'm alive, and conscious, is simply the result of almost 14 billion years of the laws of physics running their course. Every atom in my body was generated in a supernova (death of a star), an immense explosion, scattering elements throughout the cosmos. And, as for life on earth, it's a by-product of DNA reproducing itself, nothing more. Sure makes petty things seem insignificant.

4) What's had the biggest negative, longterm impact on your happiness? - Nothing has been able to hinder this. Short term stress can create a temporary dip, but as soon as that moment is over, it's no longer able to effect me. Water on a duck's back.

5) Those who have reached "financial freedom", has your permanent level of happiness increased? N/A, though I imagine this won't, it will simply give me options. Which is a good thing.

6) Any words of wisdom, insights, books, experiences, anything you recommend tor SSers to increase their happiness and wellbeing? When life is viewed through a logical lens, one realises that to gift of consciousness is to be treasured. Of all the atoms in the universe, to happen to be among those that ended up on a planet, able to support life and eventually as, not only life, but as human life, in an era where 100% of our time is not spent struggling to subsist, life is astonishing! And compared to the 13,820,000,000 year old universe, our 80 year lifespans are the tiniest speck. Once you're dead, that's it. Make of your life, whatever will give you the greatest pleasure and satisfaction (providing it isn't to the detriment of others).

This talk must be credited a) for some of what I've said, and b) for further elevating my levels of wellbeing and happiness. "Death At The Present Moment": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITTxTCz4Ums

7) How old are you? 27

In summary, my level of wellbeing and longterm happiness has been off the charts, and ever increasing for all of my adult years. It appears entirely disconnected from income, assets, achievements, setbacks, expenses – all outside influences.

If I were to lose everything I owned, all assets/possessions, my job, the lot, I honestly don't feel it would alter my level of wellbeing one iota in the longterm. Sure it would change my circumstances, but nothing more.

I understand everyone's experience in life is different. Our minds are all different, our experiences are all different and our circumstances are all different. It's a lottery (your genes, location, parents, life events etc) and I'm thankful that chance has delivered me to such a great place mentally, early on in my life.

Bring on every single second of existence I'm yet to experience!!!

I find it interesting that no matter how much money I have in the bank, an argument with my husband or one of our sons can make me miserable. I cannot imagine what it must be like to live with someone you don't like or respect and I would think that all the money in the world would not make me happy if I didn't have a happy home life. Of course it ebbs and flows but I'm generally happy with my lot, and that is priceless.

I know people who feel nothing but contempt for their spouse, and I heard recently about a woman who doesn't love her husband but stays because of the income and standard of living he provides. Fifty years ago I could understand women staying in such marriages because there was little alternative, but not these days, and not these people I know. I just couldn't live like that.

I know people who feel nothing but contempt for their spouse, and I heard recently about a woman who doesn't love her husband but stays because of the income and standard of living he provides. Fifty years ago I could understand women staying in such marriages because there was little alternative, but not these days, and not these people I know. I just couldn't live like that.

People submit themselves to all manner of physically, mentally and financially damaging unpleasantness for reasons that baffle me.

- Physically abusive relationships
- Soul-destroying jobs
- Financially crippling spending/lifestyle to "impress" other people
- Guys (mostly) posturing, getting into fights that could easily be avoided
- Women starving themselves to "look good", having cosmetic surgery etc

It's a strange world.

Thanks for much for the detailed and honest answers everyone. You're feeding my insatiable curiosity. Keep it coming.

In my own case, having yet to purchase IP#1 (not long though) I can't answer all of my own questions but here goes:

1) Has your level of happiness permanently increased as your income/net worth has? - Yes, but only up to the point where I could and did purchase my PPOR. Since then, income increases have had zero impact on happiness.

N/A

- I can't split this.

1) Mindfulness meditation. The ability to find complete and utter contentment any time, any place, in the present moment is the greatest trick I've discovered by far. It creates immunity from circumstance and gives an ability to clear the mind of all things past and present, if only for a moment, to find a deep sense of satisfaction "in the now". You will be stunned how gratifying, uplifting and fulfilling this technique is once honed (it does take a lot of practice).

This is enhanced further by the understanding that your entire life, all you ever have is the present moment. (I've mentioned this here before). The past is a thought that arises in the present. The future is a thought that arises in the present. Getting behind this sea of thought and experiencing what is true in this very moment is wondrous.

2) That my biggest passion (pursuit of knowledge/understanding, various areas, generally science) is essentially free, endless and every new thing of interest that I learn permanently elevates my levels of happiness by adding a new layer of pleasure and satisfaction in both in the act, and as a longterm result of the act.

I've also had major breakthroughs in wellbeing by understanding how the brain works (I've studied it at length), realising that everything you can possibly experience in life is generated within the mind, from inputs from the external world.

Further, having a grasp of the evolution of the universe and life on earth really puts things in perspective. The fact that I'm alive, and conscious, is simply the result of almost 14 billion years of the laws of physics running their course. Every atom in my body was generated in a supernova (death of a star), an immense explosion, scattering elements throughout the cosmos. And, as for life on earth, it's a by-product of DNA reproducing itself, nothing more. Sure makes petty things seem insignificant.

4) What's had the biggest negative, longterm impact on your happiness? - Nothing has been able to hinder this. Short term stress can create a temporary dip, but as soon as that moment is over, it's no longer able to effect me. Water on a duck's back.

5) Those who have reached "financial freedom", has your permanent level of happiness increased? N/A, though I imagine this won't, it will simply give me options. Which is a good thing.

6) Any words of wisdom, insights, books, experiences, anything you recommend tor SSers to increase their happiness and wellbeing? When life is viewed through a logical lens, one realises that to gift of consciousness is to be treasured. Of all the atoms in the universe, to happen to be among those that ended up on a planet, able to support life and eventually as, not only life, but as human life, in an era where 100% of our time is not spent struggling to subsist, life is astonishing! And compared to the 13,820,000,000 year old universe, our 80 year lifespans are the tiniest speck. Once you're dead, that's it. Make of your life, whatever will give you the greatest pleasure and satisfaction (providing it isn't to the detriment of others).

This talk must be credited a) for some of what I've said, and b) for further elevating my levels of wellbeing and happiness. "Death At The Present Moment": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITTxTCz4Ums

7) How old are you? 27

In summary, my level of wellbeing and longterm happiness has been off the charts, and ever increasing for all of my adult years. It appears entirely disconnected from income, assets, achievements, setbacks, expenses – all outside influences.

If I were to lose everything I owned, all assets/possessions, my job, the lot, I honestly don't feel it would alter my level of wellbeing one iota in the longterm. Sure it would change my circumstances, but nothing more.

I understand everyone's experience in life is different. Our minds are all different, our experiences are all different and our circumstances are all different. It's a lottery (your genes, location, parents, life events etc) and I'm thankful that chance has delivered me to such a great place mentally, early on in my life.

Bring on every single second of existence I'm yet to experience!!!

There's a massive online database of census data from all around the world, where you can compare variables and then in your own free time you can run statistical analysis on the data to find out if it's significant. I remember running the variables happiness and income and found that higher income did result in higher levels of happiness but only to a point, I think income higher than $50 000 per year did not significantly impact self reported happiness levels. Interestingly I ran religious belief and happiness and found no statistically significant difference. Make of that what you will :D

Extremely happy. I love what I do and do it because I choose to not because I have to.

You will find other people on this forum who have also moved from careers outside property to ones in property who work ridiculous hours now. When you do something you love it is not work.

Doesn't mean my life is stress free,(I have a basketball team's worth of young children for a start) but at 39 it just keeps getting better.

D
Can I get some of those drugs you're on? :D

There's a massive online database of census data from all around the world, where you can compare variables and then in your own free time you can run statistical analysis on the data to find out if it's significant. I remember running the variables happiness and income and found that higher income did result in higher levels of happiness but only to a point, I think income higher than $50 000 per year did not significantly impact self reported happiness levels. Interestingly I ran religious belief and happiness and found no statistically significant difference. Make of that what you will :D

I've read a few studies over the years indicating happiness does correlate with income, but only to a point. I imagined in general it would be more but the figure of $50k is remarkably accurate in my case. As I mentioned, once I could afford to, and did buy my PPOR, subsequent income increases have had ZERO effect on my happiness. I bought PPOR on exactly $50k (perhaps 1-2 months later I got a pay rise).

I imagine religious belief, if anything, would detract from happiness and wellbeing for most. It did for me until I renounced my religious beliefs once I was a teenager with access to information who was able to educate himself on reality. Renouncing my indoctrinated beliefs provided a HUGE boost in my happiness.

It's not mentally healthy believing there's a man in the sky watching your every move, having rules imposed upon you that extend not only to your actions but your thoughts, endless threats of eternal torture and torment if you disobey too many of them, (or in the case of Islam, punishment by death for leaving the religion, or even questioning it), not to mention the demand of financial contributions in the form of tithes etc and the internal confusion that arises when religious dogma conflicts with facts.

I think I am content, with many moments of happiness.

I agree with much of what Wylie said. My family makes me happy - it wouldn't matter how much money I had, they are irreplaceable.

I had no money for a long time - struggled to keep a roof over our head and food on the table. I would say this significantly contributed to unhappiness.

Buying my first house had a massive impact on my happiness level.

I had a lightbulb moment about 10 years ago... for a long time I had been unhappy and considered that my life wasn't going the way I had planned. One day (I can still remember the moment - I was driving on the pacific hwy) I suddenly realised my life was actually pretty good. I think I went from a glass half empty mindset to a glass half full mindset.

I also strongly believe in the whole 'dont sweat the small stuff' - i use this daily and my life is better for it.

My mum dying has really reinforced to me how important those you care about are - its the people you love and who love you that make life worthwhile.

After she died there was all this 'stuff' left (her possessions) - it really hit me that you cant take material possessions with you. It doesnt matter how much you earn or how big your house is. Sure those things are nice, but I think it is your loved ones that truly make you happy.

I can relate to this and think it sums it up nicely for me.

Research shows that people who are physically healthy, have strong social and communal ties, and have meaningful goals tend to be happier and live longer.

Money only makes an impact on happiness to the point of covering necessities. Once those needs are met, research doesn’t show a correlation between more money and more happiness

I am a happy person, generally always have been. I get enjoyment from my work and my pets and my friends.

Money has always been a much lower priority for me than for many others I have worked with. I have earned tonnes and I have earned little and I have been happy regardless, so money does not make me happy.

If I could live on some acres in a modest house with space and open air and animals and freedom I would be a happy chappy indeed. At some point I would like to move to a regional town, do enough IT work for local businesses to pay the bills and spend the rest of the time out on the land.

1) Has your level of happiness permanently increased as your income/net worth has? NO
2) Has your level of happiness permanently increased as your portfolio has? NO
3) What's had the biggest positive, longterm impact on your happiness? Spending time with family as I write this now, time with friends, travelling with friends and my gf
4) What's had the biggest negative, longterm impact on your happiness? edit- n/a or bad relatioships
5) Those who have reached "financial freedom", has your permanent level of happiness increased? N/A
6) Any words of wisdom, insights, books, experiences, anything you recommend tor SSers to increase their happiness and wellbeing? spend good time with friends and family
7) How old are you? 29

I wrote a list of goals both financial and well being at the start of the year to increase my general happiness and wellbeing, after being at a conference last week, there is some more great stuff I look forward to implementing in my life to ensure I am happy.

Naturally I am not a “happy person” I tend to struggle with negative thoughts and often see the negative in most things.

The best book I have ever read is “The Happiness Trap by Dr Russ Harris” it is fantastic and I encourage everyone to read it.

Back