Are you ready for Australia Day

Mass balloon ascension is at 6am! Seriously... why so early?

Balloons have to launch very early to avoid thermic activity.

Not really into Australia day, too much Nationalism/Patriotism can be bad for a country. Still proud to be Australian though.

Yes it's sick. The Chinese don't eat panda and the Americans don't eat bald eagles.

Maybe not eaten, but killed and used for fur. A lot of other animals are killed and their bits are used for "medicinal" purposes. Scientific research on whales.

The turkey is native to north american yet the Americans have no qualms about eating them.

Sheep and cattle were "native" somewhere once, let's get over the "native" thing and address the fact that people need to eat things, and the more healthy and efficiently produced those "things" are, the better for people and the planet.

Not really into Australia day, too much Nationalism/Patriotism can be bad for a country. Still proud to be Australian though.

I have 2 "proud to be Australian" moments which illustrate our glorious sense of perspective.

The first was during the 2000 Olympics when the Australian National Anthem was being played the camera was panning around the crowd as people were singing. As the song continued from first verse (which most people know) to the second, you could see people stumble and mumble their way though to the verse. Being proud of your country has no correlation to knowing the words of a song (Men at Work's Land Down Under excepted of course).

The second was the incident a couple of years ago when Abbot and Gillard were caught up in some demonstration at Canberra, and they had to make a hasty escape together. During the incident an Australian flag was burned by protestors. In the USA flag burning is a really serious offence. When a police officer was asked whether there would be any charges laid against the flag burners, he ummed and arred and said that maybe they could be charged for lighting a fire in a public park without a permit or for breaking the fire ban or something: the problem was with the fire, not what was burning.

I've often wondered whether in USA cigarettes should be produced with stars-and-stripes flags printed them.

Yes it's sick. The Chinese don't eat panda and the Americans don't eat bald eagles. :D

There's a bit of difference here. Pandas and bald eagles aren't exactly thriving in the wild. Both have probably suffered from human existence. Kangaroos on the other hand have probably increased in numbers 10 fold due to every paddock having water now for agriculture. They evolved in a harsh barren waterless land, so now there's water everywhere they are breeding out of control. Between 3 and 7 million roos are culled officially every year depending on the season. I can assure you that the numbers are probably double that unofficially.

See ya's.

Yes it's sick. The Chinese don't eat panda and the Americans don't eat bald eagles. People overseas don't believe we eat kangaroo so now I tell them we also eat koala sausages and grilled dolphin. They think we're barbarians. I'm a great ambassador :D

Really! I don't think it's the same thing.

It's not like it was our national icon and then we started eating them. Aboriginals have eaten them from time dot.

There are more kangaroos in Australia than people. Pity we can't eat the millions of wild ones ruining farmers land and killing livestock.

The National Emblems for Wales are the Dragon and Leek.

They've eaten all the Dragons and are still munching their way through the Leeks.:D:D

Happy Australian day from Puerto Galera

HwwkMod.jpg

Ha ha thats what my dad was calling it all morning - Australian day.

I have no problem with eating roo, its good for you. If I was in Darwin I would be eating it with Emu. Hmmmmm now there's a marketable product - the coat of arms burger .....

I've spent 9/10 of the last Australia Days at local fireworks, Ashfield Reserve, Perth. The one I missed I was back interstate holding a party at my place with friends and family! About every second year relatives from Tassie come over. One of my favorite days of the year. My husbands friend likes dressing up/down for Aus day - funny - not very family friendly so best not to post.

Last edited:
I had a good laugh this morning, ex pat/author Kathy Lette who has been living in London for over 20 years, mentioned how she celebrated OZ Day the traditional way, she is definitely been away a long time.

She mentioned how she baked lamingtons, right who does these days?? I don't;)

About the only time I have lamingtons is on Australia Day. Love them but yeah probably wouldn't bake them.

It's not a day I really put any effort into "celebrating" as such its just another day to me as I'm usually on holidays anyway.

Back