• I work for someone

Votes: 37 42.0%
  • I work for myself from home

Votes: 9 10.2%
  • I own a buisness of some sort

Votes: 37 42.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
ive run a web design business the last few years but heading back into the workforce as an accountant as of late Jan :)

So you would still do the same business if you had enough money NOT to have to work, Tiger? For example, you wouldn't take a more fulfilling job like working for a non-profit or something? Or just spend more time enjoying life?

Always interested in asking this question since I don't enjoy my job that much.
Alex

Last edited:
I meant wouldn't have it any other way as a method of earning money.

If I didnt need the money I'd still be somewhat involved in what Im doing but the majority of my time would be spent with wildlife and animal organisations as a volunteer (I still do around 15 hours per week of that now).

But yes I enjoy what I do as I can work when I want, where I want and an hour of work today can still be paying me in 5 years time.

My wife and I have a business and both work in the business, but would still be considered self employed rather than business owners.

We are planning on getting a manager and employees asap, so we can free ourselves from working in the business.

Business combined with property accumulation seems to be a very powerful setup.

Whilst im currently stuying and due to go back to mainstream work next year i do still technically own 3 businesses, and will always continue in some capacity with my own business, so i put that down as my answer :)

Own my own business. Whilst I can leave, it runs smoother with me here, so I'd still call myself self employed. Read somewhere a while back the definition of a business is you can leave for over a year and the business will continue to run fine, and increase in sales.

I can leave, but if I were to leave for a prolonged period, the business would suffer.

I have been a business owner since 17 years of age. Now 48. Currently run 2 small service based concerns that allow me to pick and choose my customers. I cap the hours to no more than 15 per week, when I'm available. This allows me the freedom to come and go as I please.

Yeah I'm doing web design work too - so that qualifies as my own business.. I work fulltime as well, and am in the midst of getting another biz off and running.. No WONDER I have no time :D hehehe

Own own building business and don't enjoy it that much; although I think that it is because our kids are still young which places more pressure on how much, what and where I do things.

I always find it interesting to hear that people who work in other jobs find property reno's and developing enjoyable and consider it a hobby; I have just gone to manage the admin in another business to diversify my income and to give me a new challenge.

That's funny alexlee; I would love more financial/accounting knowledge and not because I have a passion for it but because I now understand that it is critical to the success of everything I may choose to do. Even unenjoyed by you, you can apply skills in that field to anything you undertake or evaluate as a potential income stream, and save a truckload of money by doing it yourself. I wonder how many accountants dream of life outside an office?

Accountancy

ive run a web design business the last few years but heading back into the workforce as an accountant as of late Jan :)

Where did you do your accountancy degree, Belu? I am in the process of applying through Deakin and interested in views on their Master of Professional Accountancy - not necessarily to qualify as an accountant but because the degree would be useful for a range of business-related jobs.

Dallee

Where did you do your accountancy degree, Belu? I am in the process of applying through Deakin and interested in views on their Master of Professional Accountancy - not necessarily to qualify as an accountant but because the degree would be useful for a range of business-related jobs.

Dallee

I thought the ICAA offered a lot of conversion courses these days. Especially if your degree is already accountancy?
Alex

Dallee

Im doing it at RMIT - its an undergrad degree though - Bachelor of Business (Accountancy).

the ICAA i believe has recently changed its rules to state that you can enter the CA program with any degree - eg: if you have an arts degree you can do it. Although you may have to have a certain number of subjects completed (which could have been electives).

If you are looking for an accounting based degree to help with business I would look at the business courses offered at RMIT, there is a lot of range with the electives, meaning you can do more management, investment and finance planning, economics or marketing and PR (i have done PR and investment planning as part of my degree through electives, as well as marketing and finance as part of core subjects).

My wife and I own a P/L company which I contract myself through as a Mechanical Engineer (the slog stuff that pays the bills! :( ). We also operate a music business (see hyperlink below) which is the fun stuff! :) Our IP's are also part of this equation and we find this enjoyable to manage.

Given you could only choose one option, I too chose the one that currently brings the greatest income into our household which is my salaried employment.

But its getting closer and closer to my investments generating an equal or higher passive income, so that balance might tip sometime soon. Mind you, if you add the negatively geared assets with the positive cashflow ones, then its a long way away from generating more income than my salaried employment...

Cheers,

Back