aren't tenants funny!

our tenant got 60 days notice last week due to our reno house being sold and we're moving back into our ppor.

they immediately rang the pm and offered to pay more money if they were allowed to stay. pm advised them that we are moving back in so the money wasn't an issue.

they then abused pm because they were paying good rent and wanted to stay because they liked the views and summer was coming up with the pool etc - they then demanding that the pm find them another property with same views, a pool, walking distance to town, next to park etc etc.

pm was polite but fuming by the time she got off the phone.

ah - sorry tenant - not our (or pm's) problem ... you don't own the house ...

they then abused pm because they were paying good rent and wanted to stay because they liked the views and summer was coming up with the pool etc - they then demanding that the pm find them another property with same views, a pool, walking distance to town, next to park etc etc.

ah - sorry tenant - not our (or pm's) problem ... you don't own the house ...

LOL! You want security of tenure? Too easy! Buy a place of your own!

Shame on you lizzie for making it so difficult for your tenants to give them 2 months to find another place as nice as yours! ;)
Tisk tisk. :p

as in severely "above average for the area" rent :rolleyes: but you knew that dazz!

to throw a spanner in ... pm is going to ring tenant with a high purchase price "if they want to buy the property".

knowing my luck they will bite ... and we'll be homeless again!

Lizzie

How much was more money, if it was 5% then yes go and find another house but if it was 30-40%+ then would you not consider it.

Jezza

Lizzie

How much was more money, if it was 5% then yes go and find another house but if it was 30-40%+ then would you not consider it.

Jezza

if it was 100%, yes, i'd find somewhere else. i believe it was less than 10% ... sometimes in life money is not the deciding factor.

pm was polite but fuming by the time she got off the phone.

It's not unusual that a tenant would want similar accommodation. Surely finding it is all part of the service and par of the course for a PM, and a little abuse goes with the territory.

The PM should be relating to the tenant and letting them know that although they don't have anything on their books right now they will keep an eye out and they will be their first call if something suitable becomes available.

I find relating to people and agreeing to help them usually diffusers the situation even if at the end of the day I'm unable to help them.

Mind you the PM may be playing both sides. Gee what a tenant, and nasty LL's, let's find you some new digs.

Regards

Andrew

Well, I have some empathy for the tenants.
Shifting is a pain, they have a nice property and all is going fine, paying the rent, keeping property in good condition (I'm assuming this of course) when, bam, 60 days and you have to be out.
I know it is all part of being a tennant, but I can still understand their pain.

There are many many reasons that people rent, we shouldn't assume that they are bad at managing their own finances.

Have fun getting resettled into your home, Lizzie.

Caroline

LOL! You're just a cold hard ****** :p

Reminds me of a call I had from a tenant the other day.

She was saying how unfair it is that "they try to kick you out on the street if you're two weeks late with rent with just 14 days notice, well they start proceedings anyway. Property Managers and LL just don't care if you're having a hard time or whatever they just try to kick you to the kerb."

I'm thinking, pay your rent and there's no problem!! I mean banks don't say, oh it's okay you can not pay your mortgage for a little while because the tenants aren't paying rent, or you hurt your back and are waiting for workers compensation to come through, do they? Nope, they say suck it up princess and give me my money or i'm going to sell it to some other poor sucker.

Not saying that sometimes things don't take a turn for the worst and it is hard for a tenant, but this one calls regularly to say why she can't pay her rent (latest excuse was workers compensation). Plus property managers don't work for tenants, they don't pay them.

Just for the record, by no stretch am i trying to label all tenants as LL's charity cases or similar, after all i am a tenant myself and there are many reasons why people rent.

Actually, a number of banks will offer a "repayment holiday". ;) Especially if you have temporarily changed financial circumstances.

Fair point, but still. Either way, you should be trying your hardest to pay your bills. Also banks hold much more security than one month's rent as a bond.

Just for the record, by no stretch am i trying to label all tenants as LL's charity cases or similar, after all i am a tenant myself and there are many reasons why people rent.

I rented with a mate when I was about Lil's age. I went on holidays for three weeks, and gave my mate my share of the rent before I left.

The week I got back from holidays I got a call at work from the PM. We hadn't paid rent for three weeks. :eek:

My mate had spent not just his money but also the rent I had given him, great mate. Got home, got him to pack up his prize possession sound system hocked it and paid the rent. We were given notice soon after.

Yep, there are plenty of reasons tenants get in arears but **** happens to everyone.

Regards

Andrew

You want security of tenure? Too easy! Buy a place of your own!

Lizzie,

Just a quick question.

My understanding is that a Tenant with a valid Lease has just as much security of Tenure as an Owner if the Lease is a fixed term Lease. If they signed a 2 yr Lease with you, this 60 day notice cannot be given - can it ??

Your Tenants surely were just on a rolling month-to-month periodic Lease...and hence had no security of tenure to start with.

I both rent and have several IP's.

I can empathise with your tenants. They are happy renting where they are. I presume they are keeping up their side of the bargain by paying whatever rent you have asked on time. It is a pain in the **** to move, its time consuming and costly and in parts of some capital cities difficult to find a suitable place to rent within 2 months.

Sometimes tenants (like landlords) have other things going on in their lives (planned holidays, exams, family crises, changing jobs, kids starting school etc). Having to find something suitable to rent in 2 months out of the blue may be difficult for them. They will also need to find 4 weeks bond for their new rental and may have to pay this before the bond on their current rental is released. Again they would not have been planning for this.

Last edited:
Lizzie,

Just a quick question.

My understanding is that a Tenant with a valid Lease has just as much security of Tenure as an Owner if the Lease is a fixed term Lease. If they signed a 2 yr Lease with you, this 60 day notice cannot be given - can it ??

Your Tenants surely were just on a rolling month-to-month periodic Lease...and hence had no security of tenure to start with.

Yeah, thats true.

In short you cannot make someone homeless, provided that they are paying their rent and not damaging the property - regardless of tenure of contract. After 60days if they have not moved, you could try taking them to court, but no court in Australia would force someone out under those circumstances. All the tenant would have to say is "we are trying to find something suitable, but cant". :rolleyes:

Yeah, thats true.

In short you cannot make someone homeless, provided that they are paying their rent and not damaging the property - regardless of tenure of contract. After 60days if they have not moved, you could try taking them to court, but no court in Australia would force someone out under those circumstances. All the tenant would have to say is "we are trying to find something suitable, but cant". :rolleyes:

This is correct. Why should the LL not get penalized for breaking a lease just like the tenant :rolleyes:

Sure the LL owns the property but if they enter into a contract they cant just break it and expect everything to go smoothly their way

Back