aren't tenants funny!

You're all so harsh! It goes both ways you know. Tenants are people too and when investors/landlords don't have tenants they ***** and moan and cry poor and when they have good ones but then they make a decision that they want to change the game plan, the tenant is expected to just get out. Never mind about the life they're building for themselves. So selfish! Tenants are your customers and they're real people with real lives so some compassion for a massive upheaval to their life wouldn't go astray.

You're all so harsh! It goes both ways you know. Tenants are people too and when investors/landlords don't have tenants they ***** and moan and cry poor and when they have good ones but then they make a decision that they want to change the game plan, the tenant is expected to just get out. Never mind about the life they're building for themselves. So selfish! Tenants are your customers and they're real people with real lives so some compassion for a massive upheaval to their life wouldn't go astray.

And how many properties do you have?
Have they ever been trashed...abandoned premises owing rent?

If tenants don't like it, they can buy buy their own house.

My husband describes tenants as "livestock". Livestock serve a purpose, are treated well, and maintained until time to be replaced.
Jaycee..this is not directed at you :)

You sound like a tenant yourself and it reads as if you think that you should have rights just because you live in somebody else's home. You don't!

As landlords, many of us have sacrificed much to purchase rental property in order to make ourselves a more comfortable or early retirement.

A tenant is a tenant. They are an income stream. No more, no less! If somebody wants security of tenure, then they are more than welcome to purchase their own home and upgrade it, or trash it if they want, to their hearts content. It is their property and they can do what they wish.

If, however, they wish to rent one of mine, then they can pay their rent on time and treat it with respect. Anything less than that is treated with contempt. They need to accept the fact that I am not their personal ATM. I don't provide finance - in the form of reduced rent or non payment of rent - if they get themselves into financial trouble.

I do not make improvements to my properties for my tenants comfort as that is taking away $$ from my own family and I will put the rent up as soon as practical and as often as possible.

If I want a tenant to vacate, then they can push off too, because, you know what? It is MY property. If they don't like it, tough, they can buy their own.

I know that sounds harsh, but it is the truth!

Last edited:
Skater...I should have elaborated further that you might have bought in blue chip suburb few years ago when the rental yields was not too bad but over the years CG outstripped rental growth and now you are in a situation where the rental return looks awful.

But that doesn't mean you sell the asset. I would rather keep the asset and draw down money and invest elsewhere rather than sell the asset and invest the money elsewhere.

Just my 2c on what I would do.

Cheers,
Oracle.

I agree.

All our properties are returning a good rent % return on what we paid for them.

Just because their current rent return might not be as good due to the redcent years of cap growth and rents lagging behind, I wouldn't seel them on this basis.

Use the equity towards other vehicles that can provide good returns as well.

I'll bite as well...

Renters are people who need a place to live. They don't own their own place.

We provide that for them, and there are rules in place to protect both parties as much as possible.

Believe it or not; the renters have more rights than the Landlords these days.

You can ( I wouldn't recommend you do it though) not pay your rent at all for a couple of months, ignore all the notices to vacate etc, and wait until the Sherrif arrives at the front door to evict you, and simply go to the agent and pay them $20 and say "this is all I can afford this week" and they won't kick you out.The whole process starts all over again after that payment.

Not how I would like to live, but there are a good number of losers around who do it. They think they are clever of course, but how is their lifestyle really?

Now, is that fair on a Landlord who is taking all the risks by buying the property?

I'll bite as well...

Not how I would like to live, but there are a good number of losers around who do it. They think they are clever of course, but how is their lifestyle really?

?

Speaking of losers....
I just remembered on Today Tonight..tonight, it is supposed to be a story of welfare cheats being caught.

Speaking of losers....
I just remembered on Today Tonight..tonight, it is supposed to be a story of welfare cheats being caught.

Never watch TT or ACA. Mindnumbing.

They make me angry; shows that are about the victim and/or "entitlement" mentality mostly.

I would love to see just once; a perp who they go after to "answer questions", who then attacks the cameraman and the cameraman gives the fool a bloody good hiding. And I mean a good hiding.

I would love to see just once; a perp who they go after to "answer questions", who then attacks the cameraman and the cameraman gives the fool a bloody good hiding. And I mean a good hiding.

Unfortunately that's never gonna happen unless all these moons align ;

1. He has awesome power in his free left hand
2. Is able to see sideways and around the lens
3. Isn't afraid to instantly lose his job
4. Isn't afraid to get charged with assault
5. Has a second cameraman from another rival station recording at the same place and same time.

Chances of all those happening at the same time Marc are pretty slim.

If, however, they wish to rent one of mine, then they can pay their rent on time and treat it with respect. Anything less than that is treated with contempt. They need to accept the fact that I am not their personal ATM. I don't provide finance - in the form of reduced rent or non payment of rent - if they get themselves into financial trouble.

Spoken like an experienced Landlord. 100% kudos.

Believe it or not; the renters have more rights than the Landlords these days.

Yep, to have tenants vacate, landlords need to give 8 weeks notice, but tenants can give landlord just 2 weeks notice if they want to clear out. Not a level playing field at all.

It's not unusual that a tenant would want similar accommodation. Surely finding it is all part of the service and par of the course for a PM, and a little abuse goes with the territory.

Not sure why you would think it is ever OK for a PM to cop abuse from a tenant when it is something totally out of their control...

In general PM's are the messenger...don't shoot the messenger! A PM is going to be much less likely to want to assist a tenant after copping abuse from them. Whilst we understand that people are upset when they have their agreements terminated, abusing the PM does certainly not help their situation!

My husband describes tenants as "livestock". Livestock serve a purpose, are treated well, and maintained until time to be replaced.

Why would you say that on a thread I haven't even contributed to yet, except to show what you think of me when I haven not asked you nor provoked you to do so (?)

thanks, you have a nice day

Last edited:
Not sure why you would think it is ever OK for a PM to cop abuse from a tenant when it is something totally out of their control...

In general PM's are the messenger...don't shoot the messenger! A PM is going to be much less likely to want to assist a tenant after copping abuse from them. Whilst we understand that people are upset when they have their agreements terminated, abusing the PM does certainly not help their situation!

priscilla, I think this is a case of getting conufsed with the meaning.... Iam sure bargain hunter meant, that sometimes as part of your role in a job, you are "in the firing line". Waiters cop it too in restaurants and they usally had nothing to do with making the food, but to whom can the custeomr first make a complaint ? Someone should not act surprised that a customer or tenant has an issue and that they are not happy with it - dealing with issues is part of the job, unfortunately, most of us don't want to deal with issues. Unreasonbable / over the top reuests are different,m but we do often hear (form both tenants and PM's/landlords) some pretty unfair whinging about the other ! But even these requests just need to be dealt with 'professionally' - it's what customers do.

Last edited:

i hope you kill the livestock humanly. do you eat them or are you vegan? I'm sure there's some gold in their teeth for the taking. do you make soap out of the fat ones?

this comment and thinking is sick.

i hope you kill the livestock humanly. do you eat them or are you vegan? I'm sure there's some gold in their teeth for the taking. do you make soap out of the fat ones?

this comment and thinking is sick.

We treat all the livestock humanely.
Sometimes we open the gate and let them escape.
Others that have been distructive, do not fare as well.

Does calling them livestock, imply anything about their abilities in life in anyway ?

nope.
Just means they are faceless people, who serve a purpose, and provide us with the means to support ourselves...much like a farmer.

Do you think tenants care about LLs?

nope.
Just means they are faceless people, who serve a purpose, and provide us with the means to support ourselves...much like a farmer.

Do you think tenants care about LLs?

I was just asking in order to udnerstand...

I hadn't expressed an opinono on how I felt about it, but since you asked..

I think it's like any human relationiship.. I respect my boss and I hope she does me too... I repect the cleaner and the coffee maker and they repect me as their customer. Do we CARE about ach other, well I don't dislike them and wish them harm, if I know them I wouldnt be happy if I heard something terrible happened to them. Why not tenants and landlords being able to respect each other :confused:

If they heard me describing them as livestock or whatever relevant term depending on who we're talking about, I doubt they would feel the same way about me.

But that's just what me, you should and no doubt will do whatever you like, certainly you shouldn't feel as if you chagne becuse you may have thought I suggest any a such thing.

Although I do found an odd humour in the fact that a farmer calls his animls livestock, partly cause they are live & partly cause he owns them.. ergo, they actually are his live stock - they are animals, he/she owns them...

Landlords aren't that special.

I know, 4 yrs ago I couldn't even spell landlawd and now I r won

Last edited:
jaycee,
remember it was Rob who originally called them livestock..not me.

I give them all the benefit if the doubt.
At the moment we have 4 who have decided the rules do not apply to them.
Not pleased or impressed with their attitude...but we will be back soon to straighten them out.

Why not tenants and landlords being able to respect each other :confused:

I would love nothing more than for everyone to be respectful and do the right thing.

But it's LaLaLand stuff.

I always start off that way with everyone I come into contact with, but sadly; there are lot of people on the earth that are not the same and will happily excrete on you if given the opportunity.

I had a bloke come into the workshop for a new tyre on his trailer yesterday. It's the second one in about a month for him, the first one cost $106. This time, in the confusion, he was charged for a similar tyre, but not a light truck tyre for commercial use - $79 and we didn't notice the mistake.

Now, he would have known the price of it from the last one, and said nothing about the sudden $27 drop in price. Did he mention it? No. We found out the mistake about an hour after he left.

He thinks he's had a big win...for now. I picked him for a low-life on our first meeting some time ago, and he didn't disappoint me as it turns out.

In the end, when you've been stomped on enough times, you become quite hard as Kathryn no doubt has..

I've had enough loser tenants now to never give an inch with shonky behaviour either.

And my really clever mate with the cheap tyre?..... Next time he will not get the service he expects and we'll recoup the money for sure.

Back