aren't tenants funny!

Unfortunately that's never gonna happen unless all these moons align ;

1. He has awesome power in his free left hand
2. Is able to see sideways and around the lens
3. Isn't afraid to instantly lose his job
4. Isn't afraid to get charged with assault
5. Has a second cameraman from another rival station recording at the same place and same time.

Dazz, I have enormous hope and trust.

I KNOW that one day a cameraman will snap in his head and think; "To hell with my job, and jail, and fines; this fool needs to die for the good of humanity" and he will seriously maim the bloke on National tv.

And I'll be cheering. ;)

I would love nothing more than for everyone to be respectful and do the right thing.

But it's LaLaLand stuff.

I always start off that way with everyone I come into contact with, but sadly; there are lot of people on the earth that are not the same and will happily excrete on you if given the opportunity.

In the end, when you've been stomped on enough times, you become quite hard as Kathryn no doubt has..

Very well said BayView,

We had to learn very quickly especially when our first purchase (other than the first property we bought for our daughter to rent) was an 11 unit apartment building ..with a bad reputaion for drugs/violence/police called constantly...

We cleaned the building out of inherited tenants quickly by raising the rent.
When we realised that tenants had more rights than us we tried many things.
First we gave incentives of a month free rent if they paid their rent on time and didn't do any damage for 12 months. None of them received free rent.

We accepted "hard luck story" tenants and accepted a woman from a women's shelter...she was one of our worse tenants.Permitted people on welfare..only to find out when they trash the place you can't get any restitution except for the 1/2 months bond they provided.

Increased our rents so Welfare tenants cannot qualify.
Changed our leases from monthly to Fixed term Leases.(different here, as they automatically terminate, unless we give permission for tenant to stay)
We start everyone off with a 3 month FTL. If we get to the point we feel comfortable with a tenant we will allow them to choose whether to continue with a FTL or go month to month lease.

We planted flower beds along front of building...but then had to erect signs because the tenants thought it was ok to walk on them !!!

Tenants that are usually good and pay on time, don't tend to stay because they can qualify and buy a house.

There are tenants who complain about everything.
There are others who don't bother to tell you when there is a problem.

We do start every tenant with respect, and try to resolve any issue with politeness. Maybe they bring their baggage of past LL behavior with them, and expect us not to maintain our properties..not sure.
We want our reputaion to be "if you do wrong by us, we will go after you"

I just love the tenants reaction when Rob wears our company logo shirt when signing new tenants. On the upper left front chest has our company name, and on the right sleeve says "Evil Landlord".
He always makes a joke about it, but still gets the message across.
Whenever he knocks on the door of a tenants unit, he always identifies himself as "evil landlord". They open the door with a smile..usually.
He has even served tenants with eviction notices, and always tells them if they catch up, it will be cancelled...and the tenant is smiling when he leaves.

So no, you cannot get a tenant an inch.

And how many properties do you have?
Have they ever been trashed...abandoned premises owing rent?

If tenants don't like it, they can buy buy their own house.

My husband describes tenants as "livestock". Livestock serve a purpose, are treated well, and maintained until time to be replaced.
Jaycee..this is not directed at you :)

I think this is a pretty sad way to look at things. I don't know, maybe I live in fairyland but if myself or my family were in a position where they needed to rent for any number of reasons, I would be disappointed to hear that they were being referred to as 'livestock' by an elitist and smug landlord.

If the boss of a company referred to their staff as 'livestock' or the Prime Minister of a country referred to their citizens as 'livestock' most people would be pretty appalled so I don't see a distinction here.

Also in my experience and knowledge livestock is very rarely treated well...Just saying.

I think this is a pretty sad way to look at things. I don't know, maybe I live in fairyland but if myself or my family were in a position where they needed to rent for any number of reasons, I would be disappointed to hear that they were being referred to as 'livestock' by an elitist and smug landlord.

If the boss of a company referred to their staff as 'livestock' or the Prime Minister of a country referred to their citizens as 'livestock' most people would be pretty appalled so I don't see a distinction here.

Also in my experience and knowledge livestock is very rarely treated well...Just saying.

You didn't read my post very well then..
I stated we did treat ours well.Livestock reference is just an analogy.

Only you can decide if you live in fairyland.
Maybe you just haven't had the experience we've had.
When you deal with 200+ tenants (over 6 years) you deal with all sorts of people.Most without issue.

We are not the boss of tenants..we enter into a contract, which we expect to be honored. I just wish tenants were considered to be our equal in court..so we could have the same rights as them.

When you deal with 200+ tenants (over 6 years) you deal with all sorts of people.Most without issue.

We are not the boss of tenants..we enter into a contract, which we expect to be honored. I just wish tenants were considered to be our equal in court..so we could have the same rights as them.

Kathryn;

you can stop apologising and defending yourself. You have nothing to feel guilty about in my book; just ignore those who are politically correct and live over here on the dark side with me, luv.

I call people "penguins".

Far more demeaning. :D

OK, so you have had 200+ tenants, most without issue and you (or your husband) still employ a deliberately demeaning generalisation to describe them, fair enough but 'clients' or 'customers' might be a more appropriate term.

I understand that you treat your tenants well but my point was 'livestock' is generally not treated well so it makes it a poor analogy on a number of levels.

Anyway, back I go to Fairyland.

Kathryn;

you can stop apologising and defending yourself. You have nothing to feel guilty about in my book; just ignore those who are politically correct and live over here on the dark side with me, luv.

I call people "penguins".

Far more demeaning. :D

I hope that I don’t get that way and group people into groups tI give derogatory names to. I hope I can keep seeing people as people.

I don’t k now why, maybe cause I’d feel insulted if I heard someone call me a livestock as if I was theirs to use I guess

Why do you have nto knock people MArc, do you actually reallly truly beleive you are better and therefore look for groups to lump people in (even if you may have been a member of that grou - i.e. retneers), and then you call all renters derogaotry names, ro at leas jump to the defence to someone who does ?

And you obviously expect intelligent people to agree with you and see that you are better :confused:

I hope that I don’t get that way and group people into groups tI give derogatory names to. I hope I can keep seeing people as people.

I don’t k now why, maybe cause I’d feel insulted if I heard someone call me a livestock as if I was theirs to use I guess

Why do you have nto knock people MArc, do you actually reallly truly beleive you are better and therefore look for groups to lump people in (even if you may have been a member of that grou - i.e. retneers), and then you call all renters derogaotry names, ro at leas jump to the defence to someone who does ?

And you obviously expect intelligent people to agree with you and see that you are better :confused:

I don't care if people agree with me or not. I don't think I'm better; I get very frustrated with people who choose to be very sub-standard, and expect others to tolerate them. i.e bogans as one example.

I say what I reckon and if it treads on toes, then it does. You can too if you want. We might agree, or not.

For the record; I don't like most humans. I find most humans to be self-serving, self-centred and in many ways dumber than animals, and a blight on the planet. Give me dog any day.

I guess it comes from having to deal with the public in my various fields of work over the last 30 years or so.

My group of humans I enjoy being around for more than half an hour is very small. They are mostly like myself; very intolerate of the average penguin.

Not to say we are not liked and popular. In public we are all very courteous, gracious and try to exude class. Not like yer average bogun.

Maybe it's just me/us.

I don't care if people agree with me or not.

I say what I reckon and if it treads on toes, then it does.

For the record; I don't like most humans. I find most humans to be self-serving, self-centred and in many ways dumber than animals.

My group of humans I enjoy being around for more than half an hour is very small.

Maybe it's me.

Say what you like Marc

I said to Kathryn she should do not doubt already does the same too

I just find it surprsing how derogatory people like you & her are over & over again to other human beings, even when you have been one of them

I'm certainly not trying to chagne either your or Kathryn's mind and didn;t want you to defent yourself.

You jsut mad ea statement of what you thin of tenatns
And I made a statement saying I was surprised

why you feel the need to ridicule me for mine , by calling me & my ilk penguins and what not, when I had tried hard to not pass judgement on yours I also find strange.

good on you, you have opinons and you believe they are right- how unique you are in comparison to everyone else !

I don't care if people agree with me or not.

I say what I reckon and if it treads on toes, then it does.

My equivalent term is 'sheep', I thought that was quite a common name for consumers and other large groups.

Marc, if I ever find myself in the unfortunate position of having a dog, I will gladly give it to you as requested.

My equivalent term is 'sheep', I thought that was quite a common name for consumers and other large groups.

Marc, if I ever find myself in the unfortunate position of having a dog, I will gladly give it to you as requested.

Exactly, Ian.

Sheep, penguin, livestock... whatever you want to call it.

People think they are really clever, unique, special or whatever....

But in reality they swarm around like a flock of sheep, following each other's backside through life for the most part.

And they don't like to hear that this is so. To be seen as a part of a flock of sheep is offensive, but I can tell ya; after 50 years on this planet; we are sheep.

What I would like to see is the standard of the sheep raise up to an Alpaca, bur from my observation most of the planet is spiralling down to god knows where.

LOL! I've used the term "plebs" on a few occasions. :p

We all have

I've used it to describe myself as well and I'm sure others have too,

But the term livestock, as in live asset as a way to describe another human baing, like the landlord sowns them and they serve only the purpsoie that cattle & chickeens do to ta famner, i./e he can do whatever he likes to them, is not exaclty the same thing and leaves a sour taste in my mohth.

But sure go for it, inlsut eveyrone you want , but please, don't complain aobut them acting like you expect them to !

Again, I'm just saying.....

nope.
Just means they are faceless people, who serve a purpose, and provide us with the means to support ourselves...much like a farmer.

Do you think tenants care about LLs?

Yes mine do, they even do the maintaince or organise a tradesman if need be after consulting me. Fix the T.V antenna and make fly screens for me, if I just supply the material. Make curtains and put up blinds. Even do some landscaping. It is made clear before the lease is signed what I expect and that I want them to treat the house as there own.If they maintain or improve the house I dont need to put rent up. They get a house in excellent condition, at $15-20 below market rate for an average house, which really only means being about 12 months behind the market or being out of pocket by $1000 for the first 12 months. but more than this is saved in PM fees. I have only ever had one house vacant while looking for a suitable tennat and that was 6 weeks but it was well worth waiting as he was an engineer and had done building added $1000s of dollars value to the house. Some of my tennants do own their own houses kathryn and they rent them out Even a farmer has respect for his livestock and will even try to protect them from insects and make sure they have proper livingconditions Doesnt the fact you have had 200 tennants tell you, something is wrong? That the way the tennants act is a reflection of the LL atitude. If I was your tennant I wouldnt respect your property either. Guess what not every-one is in a position to buy their own property. Whats with the superiorty atitude maybe its because you really have an inferioty complex. Dont build yourself up by putting others down.

Yes mine do, they even do the maintaince or organise a tradesman if need be after consulting me. Fix the T.V antenna and make fly screens for me, if I just supply the material. Make curtains and put up blinds. Even do some landscaping. It is made clear before the lease is signed what I expect and that I want them to treat the house as there own.If they maintain or improve the house I dont need to put rent up. They get a house in excellent condition, at $15-20 below market rate for an average house, which really only means being about 12 months behind the market or being out of pocket by $1000 for the first 12 months. but more than this is saved in PM fees. I have only ever had one house vacant while looking for a suitable tennat and that was 6 weeks but it was well worth waiting as he was an engineer and had done building added $1000s of dollars value to the house. Some of my tennants do own their own houses kathryn and they rent them out Even a farmer has respect for his livestock and will even try to protect them from insects and make sure they have proper livingconditions Doesnt the fact you have had 200 tennants tell you, something is wrong? That the way the tennants act is a reflection of the LL atitude. If I was your tennant I wouldnt respect your property either. Guess what not every-one is in a position to buy their own property. Whats with the superiorty atitude maybe its because you really have an inferioty complex. Dont build yourself up by putting others down.

BTW..thank you BayView !!!
We have one tenant who we do treat special. He and his family are living in our former PPOR. We keep their rent at the same rate as when they moved in 18 months ago.He does carpentry work for us on that property and when required at our other properties, and at very reasonable rates.His rent will not increase until he moves, as he is useful to us.

We have a variety of properties, and have 39 tenants at any one time.Some are targeted to short term tenants..furnished & all inclusive. We permit flexible leases, so people can take courses from the nearby colleges.We will not tolerate any *** from tenants, and as soon as it is convenient for us to get rid of feral tenants, we do.It is cheaper to buy in Canada than to rent, thus there is a reason for good tenants buying their own homes.None of our tenants own their own homes, and very few have ever owned a house.

We do not permit tenants to perform maintenace, because they have proven themselves not capable.Generally we only increase rent when a tenant moves, unless they have been there 2 years.

Our attitude is great, until the tenant decides buying beer, drugs,smokes and new dodads is more important than paying rent.
Never said I was superior...but if you think I am....

We have 39 tenants at any one time.

Yuk...double yuk !!

The only term to describe you and Rob are "Bl00dy saints", putting up with that amount of livestock.

You've obviously got far more patience than I have.

Legends - keep up the good work and don't let 'em drive you crazy.

Yuk...double yuk !!

The only term to describe you and Rob are "Bl00dy saints", putting up with that amount of livestock.

You've obviously got far more patience than I have.

Legends - keep up the good work and don't let 'em drive you crazy.

lol:)
I like to add to the herd every year too.
thank you

Back