Arrogance vs Confidence

{Edit: split from this thread}

Few random thoughts: :D

Difference between 'Arrogance' & 'Confidence' - Is it in the eye of the beholder?

Do we need little bit of arrogance needed for financial/career success?

Personally I don't mind a bit of arrogance if that person is really good at what they are doing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Difference between 'Arrogance' & 'Confidence' - Is it in the eye of the beholder?

Personally I don't mind a bit of arrogance if that person is really good at what they are doing.
In my previous life as a golf pro, I used to go to many Coaching Seminars, workshops etc....there were many Pros at these events of varying stages of life and experience.

One thing that became a bit glaringly obvious was the number of more experienced guys who dismissed a lot of the "new stuff" that was being presented...

They had the attitude of knowing all - so to speak.

I thought they were arrogant, a bit silly for dismissing a possible revelation in the way we taught golf, etc. I was younger, less experienced and hungry to learn.

Thirty years later, I sorta could see what they were going on about; and worked out they were not so much "arrogant" but confident in their level of knowledge.

Sorta like the term; "there's nothing new under the sun" etc.

I think you still need to keep you mind open to what may be new and possibly better, despite your knowledge and experience - that's the balance between arrogant and knowledgable, I reckon.

Last edited:

Arrogance is literally an overrated opinion of one's self.

So if a person really is that good at what they are doing (and they know it), it isn't arrogance, it's confidence.

Is Usain Bolt arrogant if he says he's the fastest man alive? No.

Wylie was right, arrogance is not needed anywhere.
Having confidence is good, but confidence without wisdom is similar to being arrogant.

Being financially free or achieving better than most is a good, but failing to see that the conditions, people or opportunity that helped them to be where they are were part of the keys to their success is arrogant.

I know some people who are very financially successful and I witnessed their journey to be financially secured. They used people, they take every opportunity to use other people resources even though they are capable in getting the resources themselves and blindly oblivious to other people's need. etc. They put away their kids welfare.

It reminds me of the song by Mac Davis.

It's Hard To Be Humble

"It's Hard To Be Humble" was written by Mac Davis.

Oh, Lord, it's hard to be humble
When you're perfect in every way
I can't wait to look in the mirror
'Cause I get better lookin' each day

To know me is to love me
I must be a hell of a man
Oh, Lord, it's hard to be humble
But I'm doin' the best that I can

I found this thread was informative, to see where others are at their property investing journey.

But it gets pretty annoying when some members posting some 'talk down' just because they are in a better situation than 99% of population of this forum.

It's not about tall poppy syndrome.

I admire self driven successful individuals, but I lost respect for them when they treat people who don't understand them poorly.

Pretty easy to throw the boot in when the now off topic subject is not around to defend.

Give it a rest guys, that is just as arrogant if not petty. :rolleyes:

Are you all perfect or just use the forum to pretend to be...?

OMG Geoff how about that, and you dont know who everyone is talking about then....sure thing mate.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Come on.

Once again, people like to pretend to be perfect on forums and use their literacy skills to do same. Pretty much arrogance to me but without the honesty.;)

Last edited by a moderator:
OMG Geoff how about that, and you dont know who everyone is talking about then....sure thing mate.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Come on.
So one character trait is mentioned, and everybody, yourself included, thinks of one person. That's revealing.

From the last 20 or so posts it wasn't evident.

Geoff
Its DevanK's fault he raised the issue of personalities, I think arrogance vs confidence in terms of qualities required for investing, so let's shoot him. ;)

MTR:)

Its DevanK's fault he raised the issue of personalities, I think arrogance vs confidence in terms of qualities required for investing, so let's shoot him. ;)

You missed an opportunity yesterday at Parramatta meet-up :p

Now thinking back, I should admit that the 'tone' of this thread (first 100 posts) prompt my 'random thoughts'. However, it wasn't aimed to 'attack' the person in question.

Back