Article on the looming "rental society"

Your fears are valid, I have been to europe many times and saw how my auntie (who has never worked in her life and has always drawn a small pension) took the tenants to court and won every time, forcing the tenant to raise the tenant no more than inflation. She had a lease for about 5 years and it was her right to extend it at the current agreed terms, no renegotiation.

I love my auntie and I saw her plight, but I also saw it as unfair to the tenant, something she nor any of my family could understand, they just felt it was inhumane and uncompassionate to charge her the going rate because of her situation.

Rent control is quite common in many parts of the world. Especially New York. But investors there know the rules and choose to invest on that basis. What you are buying is really an income stream pegged to inflation, not a property. Therefore those properties are almost always positively geared and there is much lower potential upside.

Society needs to provide accommodation to those who can't afford it in a competitive market place. This is probably as important as free health care and education.

Buying houses tenanted by people with no money, to kick them out and replace them with people with slightly more money, isn't really the most productive investment.

However the idea of a landlords association is good. It could hold tenant history reports, mostly red-flags of those who have previously trashed a place. Knowing there would be a semi-public record of your tenancy behavior may encourage better behavior (e.g. paying rent, not setting fire to carpet).

What we really need is a national landlords lobby group, sort of like the property Council or the Urban Taskforce but for landlords !!!! do you all realise that there is actually nothing like this?

That will be a very popular organisation with the masses - NOT! You can head it Savanna and pay for the body guards. Will be as popular as the gun lobby.

You may in reply get a lobby group of renters who all go on strike and refuse to pay rent!

That will be a very popular organisation with the masses - NOT! You can head it Savanna and pay for the body guards. Will be as popular as the gun lobby.

You may in reply get a lobby group of renters who all go on strike and refuse to pay rent!

What. so the Property Council are afraid of those against development and the Tenants Union are afraid of landlords...oh wait .....

That's the funniest thing I've read on this forum for years....:D

Being trained as a lawyer (but rusty) , I thought I'd at least see if it is possible, just for my own info. A contract is a contract. Why does it have to be a lease???

People who rent for less than 90 days in NSW dont need a lease. This is how serviced apartments can work.

penny why don't you start an investers lobby, you in the correct state, and you know the planning rules and stuff, inbetween work sort of , the role has your name on it, :D

just need to get paid to do it as well i would happily pay $100 pa to know my opinions are being looked after, ? and i am sure 100,000 more would do so too!

Being trained as a lawyer (but rusty) , I thought I'd at least see if it is possible, just for my own info. A contract is a contract. Why does it have to be a lease???

People who rent for less than 90 days in NSW dont need a lease. This is how serviced apartments can work.

what are you suggesting? signing up rolling 90 day leases? I think this could be the only way to perhaps circumvent the RTA however I am sure some lawyer woul djust argue that it is a regaular residential tenancy in all but name

A contract is a contract. Why does it have to be a lease???

Sure, until the beaurocrats see it as:
Greedy landlord vs poor little tenant
Fat Rich C*** vs out of work starving tenant
Evil Capitalist vs Do no harm nice tenant

What we really need is a national landlords lobby group, sort of like the property Council or the Urban Taskforce but for landlords !!!! do you all realise that there is actually nothing like this?
I'll be in it!
Maybe we can call it the Tenancy Fairness Association

Last edited:
hehe, bless you all for your responses !!!
I hadnt actually thought about rolling leases until I actually typed the "90 days" thing out.

I still need to work out what triggers a requirement to rent under the Rental Tenancies Act (and their equivalent in each state) and whether there is another way of looking at it.

Harsh and unjust contracts could be dealt with by recourse to the Contracts Review Act (or other state equivalents)

In terms of lobby groups, I found a futher support website today but its doesnt seem to address the tenant issues which is where investors really need help.

other links include

http://www.poa-vic.org/

http://www.poaa.asn.au/

and a page full of many links which may be useful

http://www.landlordsresourcedirectory.com/Australia.htm

thanks heaps for your vote of confidence Craig, see you at MBA tonight :)

I still need to work out what triggers a requirement to rent under the Rental Tenancies Act

If you are a lawyer, then you certainly are rusty.

It's known as the Residential Tenancies Act, and the trigger might have something to do with the zoning that the controlling shire / council dictates the land on which the dwelling rests on.

hehe, I dont practice as a lawyer, hence the rustiness :)

I do realise the proper name, it was a freudian slip of sorts.
Having been an urban planner for over 15 years, I know that, certainly in NSW, the zoning does relate to the use but that can be unrelated to a contractual relationship to do with the manner in which an equitable interest is offerred. eg zone residential, used as a residence but what type of legal tenure is being offered is the question at issue.

Back