Article on the looming "rental society"

I found this an interesting article.

http://www.theage.com.au/national/call-for-reform-as-rental-society-looms-20100417-slj4.html

I worry that if this scenario came to pass, goverments would want to get even more pro-tenant than they sadly already are. I think that tenants should have direct debit or similar required of them to ensure payment and all my future leases will require it.

I speak from experience, my Melbounre tenants have paid short again this month !!!! Luckily only $400 this time. Maybe Mr Westpac would like some excuse from me this month too...."sorry Sir, the mortgage is a bit short !!!!"....yeah right !!!!

Listen turkeys, I'm not an e***ng charity !!!!!

argh !!! rant over :)

what we need is a group that would stand in and provide us with some g'tees , somone that is pro investing , and could paint a better picture like the fact that we cover some costs from our pockets. we need a voice in there too!

like a unoin, or somthing, lets say every one that wants some equal rights would pay for example $100 per year call it a donation, claim it . and have a body of switched on people work for us. another good idea from craig,

These are nothing more than the views of yet another 'academic'.

Federal Housing Minister Tanya Plibersek response was,

"although rental tenures were a matter for state governments, overseas experience showed that both tenants and vendors could benefit from long-term leases. "Tenants can plan for the medium term and may be prepared to take on greater responsibility for maintenance,'' she said.

The Rudd government has pledged $5.638 billion for building and refurbishing social housing, and Ms Plibersek said its National Rental Affordability Scheme, which offers investors tax incentives to charge less rent, had so far approved construction for 11,000 affordable rental properties.

I'm of the opinion that any benefits greater than what are offered now will remain geared towards low income earners and those reliant on government subsidies in the form of schemes.

I can't see laws changing much at all in regards to who we choose to rent out to, the length of leases currently in place or eviction times.

And at the end of the day if tenants default and don't pay up or damage property, they get evicted. That won't change.

Btw, I notice no mention is made about tenants breaking leases, or tenants wanting to move of their own accord :rolleyes:.

I worry that if this scenario came to pass, governments would want to get even more pro-tenant than they sadly already are.

I think currently it's a good balance, fairly apportioned between Landlord and Tenant. I think the lawmakers have the RTA perfectly balanced, although the obligation to continue paying rent, especially during times of struggle, could easily be seen by society as being a little harsh.

I try to give my Tenants a great big warm hug every month, and shower them with chocolates and best wishes every Easter. It does wonders for my karma. Never treat them badly, and always sacrifice yourself for their happiness. It will definitiely be all worth it in the long run.

Last edited:
Maybe the time has come for the banks to cut the middle man out.....yes, that's right...the banks should just stop lending to PIers, and buy the houses themselves and rent them to tenants. That way, when the govt says the tenants don't have to pay rent, the banks cop the risk fair and sweet.

Whoops....sorry I was day dreaming.

Maybe the time has come for the banks to cut the middle man out.....yes, that's right...the banks should just stop lending to PIers, and buy the houses themselves and rent them to tenants. That way, when the govt says the tenants don't have to pay rent, the banks cop the risk fair and sweet.

Since when do the government tell the banks what to do?

If the banks conducted an IP business like they do their regular business the tenants wouldn't know what hit them. There wouldn't be a Tribunal!

There would without a doubt be late rental fees, inspection charges, as well as costs associated with paperwork charged to the tenant.

And there'd be no chance of the tenant getting another place if they played silly b****** like trying to damage the property.

What were you thinking WW... the banks are a business ;).

What we really need is a national landlords lobby group, sort of like the property Council or the Urban Taskforce but for landlords !!!! do you all realise that there is actually nothing like this?

What we really need is a national landlords lobby group, sort of like the property Council or the Urban Taskforce but for landlords !!!! do you all realise that there is actually nothing like this?

People who invest successfully tend to be self-starters, who typically don't want that kind of intervention (like a union type approach). I'm happy to be told the rules and then left alone to play the game.

Whoops....sorry I was day dreaming.

good post ww,
how about the government get rid of the "middle man banks and PI" and buy the investment property directly? if tenants don't pay they can always change legislation to help them a bit...

send them a notice to evict them from one room, that you're going to rent out seperately.

if they want to pay partial rent, they can rent a partial house.

good post ww,
how about the government get rid of the "middle man banks and PI" and buy the investment property directly? if tenants don't pay they can always change legislation to help them a bit...

hahaha. so true Boz. Yes the banks are middle men too.

Chairman Red should be true to his ideology, and ensure everyone's right to three square meals, water, and shelter, is met.

But bugger, that only takes care of the social rights side of the equation.....what about the social obligation side? the bit where everyone must contribute to the production of goods and services to the value of those consumed....and a bit extra for capital depreciation, defence forces, and 40 rainy days and nights. :)

what we need is a group that would stand in and provide us with some g'tees , somone that is pro investing , and could paint a better picture like the fact that we cover some costs from our pockets. we need a voice in there too!

like a unoin, or somthing, lets say every one that wants some equal rights would pay for example $100 per year call it a donation, claim it . and have a body of switched on people work for us. another good idea from craig,

The UK has just such: http://www.landlords.org.uk

But bugger, that only takes care of the social rights side of the equation.....what about the social obligation side? the bit where everyone must contribute to the production of goods and services to the value of those consumed....and a bit extra for capital depreciation, defence forces, and 40 rainy days and nights. :)

Nah,
we've got China that invest and buy in our resources, we just need to watch our wealth grow ;)

Gawd.....Gen Y, Z,AA,BB,CC etc are going to love us for selling off the farm huh? :)

untill now older generation got away with the story that one day they'll get the house of the parents worth millions...
eventually new generations/taxpayers will have enough political power to change things like welfare and towards cheaper housing costs

untill now older generation got away with the story that one day they'll get the house of the parents worth millions...
eventually new generations/taxpayers will have enough political power to change things like welfare and towards cheaper housing costs

I am not thinking about resi homes Boz.....moreso the means of production....our mines and literally, our farms, then may as well throw the foreign outsourcing of manufacturing.

Gee......what is it we actually do here in Australia??? ;)

I found this an interesting article.

http://www.theage.com.au/national/call-for-reform-as-rental-society-looms-20100417-slj4.html

I worry that if this scenario came to pass, goverments would want to get even more pro-tenant than they sadly already are. I think that tenants should have direct debit or similar required of them to ensure payment and all my future leases will require it.

I speak from experience, my Melbounre tenants have paid short again this month !!!! Luckily only $400 this time. Maybe Mr Westpac would like some excuse from me this month too...."sorry Sir, the mortgage is a bit short !!!!"....yeah right !!!!

Listen turkeys, I'm not an e***ng charity !!!!!

argh !!! rant over :)

Your fears are valid, I have been to europe many times and saw how my auntie (who has never worked in her life and has always drawn a small pension) took the tenants to court and won every time, forcing the tenant to raise the rent no more than inflation. She had a lease for about 5 years and it was her right to extend it at the current agreed terms, no renegotiation.

I love my auntie and I saw her plight, but I also saw it as unfair to the owner, something she nor any of my family could understand, they just felt it was inhumane and uncompassionate to charge her the going rate because of her situation.

Last edited:
People who invest successfully tend to be self-starters, who typically don't want that kind of intervention (like a union type approach). I'm happy to be told the rules and then left alone to play the game.

I do agree about us being self-starters but tenants have the tribunals on their side and can also call on the Tenants Union in each state to absolutely get behind them.

What have landlords got?

I would personally like to by-pass the Residential Tenancies Act and draw up my own "Contract to occupy a domestic dwelling" with my own set of rules (firm but fair :))

If developers can have things like the Property Council of Australia and Builders can have the HIA and MBA, why cant landlords have a national lobbying and support body?

I'd happy pay a small amount of subs each month to ensure my rental livelihood was politically protected. I know that landlords insurance can sometimes cover our losses but why not send a message that lack of rent payment (among other things) wont be tolerated. It's a form of larceny, pure and simple. I havent been as badly burnt as some people on SS. some of the shocking stories here of tenants taking advantage of landlords make my blood boil. !!!!!

Lobbying on-mass is important because, believe me, polititions take notice of interest groups more so than individual people writing to them seeking redress.

I'd be interested to hear what people think

Back