Articulating Prop Investment to My Wife

Well I am glad to say we've taken the first steps on the road towards acquiring an IP, that is starting to arrange equity finance against our existing PPOR (just to tell the full story, we also needed to do this anyway for some minor renovations).

So, last night, my wife and I were having a somewhat length discussion about property investment. She is *ultra* conservative. I don't intend doing anything (rightly so) until both of us feel comfortable with most of its aspects.

I explained to her what I believed to be the fundamentals of property investing, both negatively and positively geared, ignoring the "innovative techniques" like wraps etc. I suggested to her that our first property would likely be slightly negative. I explained how the taxman helps offset losses in the first few years, and how, with a tenant, the holding cost is relatively small (I said a couple of hundred per month).

I used our own home as a practical example of capital growth, having constructed it new 7 years ago and it now having appreciated in value by $110-$160K.

Some of her objections include:

1. What's the point of scrimping and saving so when we're 70 we have some money, when we're too old to enjoy it? I pointed out to here that even if you *sold* a $300K property after 7-8 years you might make $100-200K capital gain. I think her biggest objection is not having access to the capital growth - she calls this a paper profit from which have derived no benefit until we sell. I guess this raises an interesting question. Investing *is* a means to an end, how do you make use of this money?

2. What happens if you don't get a tenant in for a year? How do we pay all the expenses? I explained to her that if the rent is priced reasonably the likelihood of going without a tenant for such a long time is extremely small. I explained that Melb's vacancy rate is around 5%, and a wise-investor told me that 5% includes all the "substandard" housing and all the "too-expensive" housing etc, so you might say the "practical" vacancy rate is lower?. I also pointed out that even if you don't have a tenant you can still claim the interest as a tax deduction, because the property is nonetheless available for rent (someone please correct me if I'm wrong?)

3. Why not just pay our home off quickly and start putting money into a managed fund? I explained the concept of leverage and the argument that $10K cash can buy a $100-200K property (with appropriate mortgage insurance) whereas you'd be lucky to get $40K of shares (at 75% LVR). I also explained how getting 5% capital growth on a $200K property is a lot better than 12% on $40K of shares.

4. Shouldn't we pay off our car and credit card before we start? Probably good advice, it may even happen before we find "the right property".

All in all I feel like there is a critical piece of information I have failed to tell her about in order for "the penny to drop".

Did anyone have trouble educating their partners of the value of property investing? I don't want to feel like I am coercing her into it. It has to be a mutal decision for mutual benefit. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Kevin.

You should book yourself and your wife in to Steve Navra's course. He answers
all your questions and many more. You could start by searching his posts in the
forum but if you want to be the full bottle the course is your best bet.

To answer one of your questions, "what's the point of scrimping and saving and
never getting to spend the cash" I will tell you what my plan is.

I'm going to invest in residential property until I'm in a position to purchase
some good commercial property. The property that I'll buy will be highly
cashflow positive (something easier to find in commercial than residential) and
that's when I'll be able to start spending up big.

To get into big developments you need a solid financial foundataion, that's what
residential property will do for me.

So the houses are just a means to an end, not an end in themselves.

Another way you could use your future equity is with Steve's cashbond method,
once you have enough equity you draw it down and buy a fixed term annuity and
live of the income from that. The great thing about this method is you pay very
little tax because you are spending your capital, not income (except for the
measly amount paid by the cashbond.)

As for buying mutual funds, take a look at Burton Malkiels "Random walk down
Wall Street" or anything written by John Bogle for all the reasons you need not
to invest in these. John Bogle started Vanguard which is one of the largest
fund managers in the US but only runs index funds with very low MER (that's
Management Expense Rate) which is where most of your profits end up in
everyday retail funds.

Most off all, just try to think of household names that have become rich
investing in managed funds. I can think of quite a few who are loaded due
to their property investments. Not saying you won't get rich, but you'll
never enter the realms of the super rich relying on others to make your
investment decisions.

Enough ranting, back to work for me.
andy

For my wife, the penny dropped for the first time when she played a Cashflow game (and won). She told me later that none of my explanations really hit home- it was only seeing the power of little deals growing into big deals which made her realise.

Thanks, Andrew.

I am booked into the Steve Navra course for Feb 2003 - my wife has declined to attend, she figures only one of us needs to know the "ins and outs" of investing.

The commercial thing sounds like a good strategy - good luck with it.

Kevin.

Kevmeister,

It's great that you're starting to make a move, and there's nothing wrong with being conservative and slow while figuring out how to proceed.

Going to hear Steve Navra is a good idea - but can be slightly threatening (and costly) if she's not sure of the property investment idea.

You should also consider encouraging your wife to come along to a meeting of Freestylers (social setting, los of people just starting), or get involved in a game of Cashflow (don't buy it - yet) to understand why paying off your credit debts before investing isn't always the best approach - reading a few of Robert Kiyosaki's books (available from your local library if she's uncertain about investing money in the idea as yet).

This will help her get some understanding and outside reinforcement about how property investment is a legit way of investing and let her speak to some people other than yourself who are interested/involved in this area.

Often a stranger who's already walking the walk is more convincing than your nearest & dearest, and they can also answer her questions in different words to give her greater confidence in whether this pathway is for both of you.

You never know, she might become the more enthusiastic one once she's met a few people who have done it!

Cheers,

Aceyducey

EDIT: I just saw your latest post about only one of you needing to know the ins-and-outs of investing. From my experience this doesn't work if one partner knows nothing about investing (sort of like a partnership where one partner can't cook at all). In my case, my wife was the one who went out and got the education - I was busy working to supply the capital. However I have had to 'upskill' myself on investment as well to be able to offer constructive support and understand where our money was going (and what I should spend).

Your partner is already asking key questions about which investment tools you should use and where your capital should be allocated - she needs to understand why you as a couple are choosing certain investments over others.

She is half the partnership with all the rewards and risks that that entails.

What happens if you get hit by a truck in the middle of a deal? What happens if the deal of a lifetime comes along and she vetos it because she doesn't understand the first thing about investing?

A partnership is only as strong as it's least knowledgeable member :)

Aceyducey

Originally posted by Kevmeister

1. What's the point of scrimping and saving so when we're 70 we have some money, when we're too old to enjoy it? I pointed out to here that even if you *sold* a $300K property after 7-8 years you might make $100-200K capital gain. I think her biggest objection is not having access to the capital growth - she calls this a paper profit from which have derived no benefit until we sell. I guess this raises an interesting question. Investing *is* a means to an end, how do you make use of this money?

Agree with her. This is a paper profit. However, you gain access to it in two ways.

Firstly if you sell. you pay CGT, but you get the money
Secondly, you can use that paper profit to buy further positive cashflow/gearing properties. These properties will give you money, day in, day out.

Another way is to eat your capital. You continue to borrow the capital gain, and use it for your day to day needs. Then, as the repayments get too much, you sell the place. This is a backward way, as your borrowings and repayments go higher and higher, and you end with nothing to show for it. But you have fun in the mean time.

2. What happens if you don't get a tenant in for a year? How do we pay all the expenses?

Having explained vacancy rates, and lowing the rent to attract tenants (a quarter rent being better than none). If, on the slim chance none of this works - you sell. You get capital gain. Probably not much, but given the capital gain from your own house, you aren't likely to lose your own house as well.

Another way around this is to get a low LVR. This gives you more breathing room between the expenses and the rent.

The last way is to borrow more in the first place. Say you want a place $200K. You decide on 75% LVR for breathing room. Using the gain in your place, you borrow not $150k (75%), but 165K. The extra $15k sits in the loan, not costing you anything, and is there as a buffer should you not get a tenant for a year.

3. Why not just pay our home off quickly and start putting money into a managed fund?

Why not agree with her. Do both. Commit to putting 10% extra onto your mortgage, and then when it’s paid off, put it into a fund. It's a set and forget way. If you have two methods, you are more likely to get ahead.

4. Shouldn't we pay off our car and credit card before we start? Probably good advice, it may even happen before we find "the right property".

Agree. John Burley has a great idea about how to pay off all your debts. Check out his site (or maybe someone has the document and can repost it here).

All in all I feel like there is a critical piece of information I have failed to tell her about in order for "the penny to drop".

She has legitimate concerns. Agree with her issues, and find a way to work within them.

She might change her mind later, but until that happens (if that happens), you have to work within her limits.

Jas

I'm trying to get my partner more involved, right now I've got her reading
Jan Somers' "Building Wealth - Story by Story", it's easy to read and
digest all the interesting approaches taken by the many diverse people
Jan writes about.

By far one of the better books I've read lately on property investing is Margaret
Lomas' "How to make your money last as long as you do", has a lot more depth
than the standard Noel Whittaker/Anita Bell/Paul Clitheroe fare.

We're lucky that all these great books written by women, I think it makes
it a little less threatening for the girls to get interested.

andy

Hi Geoff/Jas/Aceyducey/Andre,

I wasn't suggesting that my partners concerns aren't legitimate. But I don't believe they are "show stoppers" necessarily either.

Conservative is just another name for risk-averse and I don't think we're going out on a limb too badly based on our home equity etc.

The PPPOR mortage will continue to get paid above minimal rate because we're already pumping lots of extra $ into it (this is the "claytons" plan whilst we decide how to attack the IP thing).

We don't intend fully maxing out our LOC thereby providing the buffer that Jas speaks of, albeit in a different manner.

I agree that the partnership is only as strong as the least knowledgeable member, which is why I am trying to educate her. She is not unintelligent by any stretch, just conservative probably as a result of her parent's activities. Freestylers might be a good idea. Hard to get her to read books lately with a 16-month old to run after, but I'm trying that also.

I don't think my wife will remain ignorant of investing, she will acquire the knowledge "by osmosis" I figure, but I nonetheless want her to be comfortable with the plan, the disaster plan, the fallback scenarios, the way we live off the benefits etc. Only then do I believe she will embrace the concept, rather than go along with it.

Thanks everyone for the good discussion so far.

Kevin.

Always remember Kev (im sure you already know)

The bigger the risk - the bigger the return.
The lower the risk - the lower the return.

And as my granny says: No one ever went broke taking a profit...

Hi brains,

"The bigger the risk - the bigger the return.
The lower the risk - the lower the return."

I think you might've mixed up the cause with the result here. It should work in reverse:
the bigger expected return - the bigger the risk (if the risk seems lower than would be appropriate for the return, you don't see all the risk factors).

Bigger risk does not automatically mean bigger returns, that's where I'm getting to!

Sy cheese :p

Lotana

Hi Kevin

What are your wife's goals/dreams? What are yours?

If property could be a strategy to help her get what she wants then she might be more excited. If it just looks like a plan that will drain cash flow on a monthly basis then I understand her not finding it attractive.

What is the sale of the property paid out the home mortgage in 5 years?

What if a cash flow property helped pay off the credit card?

I think the questions that so called beginners or disbelievers ask can be just what we crazy investors need to stay honest. ;)

Sounds like she wants to know where the money is and why is it worth undertaking so much risk? How will this risk be managed? And how will this make her life better?

I think you will learn heaps from each other. You have the makings of a great investment team :cool:

Lotana,

While i realise its a sweeping generalisation, i stand by my statement that "the higher the risk the higher the return."

Kevin,

GoAnna has a great point - what are your wife's goals & dreams. The first part to making a plan is to work out what you're planning for.

If you can get these goals on paper it then simply becomes a matter of working out how to get there - using methods like property investing :)

BTW: I didn't mean to insinuate either that your wife was unintelligent or her concerns not legitimite. In fact the very opposite, she's asking the right questions!

Why not give her a night off from the baby and send her to Freestylers where she can get some other takes on the answers :)

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Kevin,

Perhaps you could sit down and work out on paper, year by year, the effect of compound capital growth.

This is the thing which is quite often the hardest part to understand. If you simply say real estate in this area has increased by 8% every year in this area, to the inexperienced that does not sound very impressive.

If you were to use the figures of your own house, using your initial cost, probable rent collected, loan figures etc etc then write down the balance of your loan now, compared with the value of your home and say " see darling, we would have made this much profit!!" she might be able to at least understand your point of view.

Macca

Hi Kevmeister

I took us to become millionairs on paper atleast for the penny to drop. now the mrs doesnt mind looking at house again.and again
:) :) :)

Originally posted by spooky
Hi Kevmeister

I took us to become millionairs on paper atleast for the penny to drop. now the mrs doesnt mind looking at house again.and again
:) :) :)

LOL

My wife is quite interested in property investing. In the start she would come with me to viewings, make all the calls to the agents, solicitors and in general organise everything.

She wanted to know as much as she wanted to know. When I would get down to great detail she would switch off. She trusted me to make the right decision and I didn't it force it on her to know every single detail.
But once we had a baby, man I am on my own. She is still interested but plays no active role at all. The baby takes up all her time and alot of mine.

Hence maybe why your wife doesn't want to go to the course and trusts you would make the right decisions. Property investing takes time, alot of footwork, calls and maybe renovating, it's not as easy as placing money in a fund. By the way which fund pays 12%?
The latest figures I saw they were ALL negative except property funds at around 7 - 8 %

A baby takes up alot of your time and she may be concerned about that.

I think property investing is the best thing you will ever do and will bring you more money than any job you may be in if you play your cards right. You will retire much sooner than expected from your current job and you will live a happier life.

But be prepared as I am to do alot of the work and hard thinking on your own especially if you are planning a second baby.
Mine's only 3 months old and she's a bundle of joy and I'm planning on having a second and third, but I've pretty much lost my investing partner for the time being.

Regards

Hi Kev

For my wife the attraction of property has always been at the back of her mind because of a memory from her youth. Her parents bought their PPOR when they first arrived as imigrants and shortly afterwards her father wanted to buy another house for investment. This didn't happen because my wifes mother (who did all the financials for the family) wasn't prepared for the risk even though they could afford it.

It was about 1970 and the IP was going to cost $9000 and was in Glen Waverley. My mother-in-law is still in the original PPOR and living on the pension.

I'm sure that there are similar stories amongst the relatives within your own family circle that may just help the penny drop.

bye.

It was our kids that helped push us into property investing. My partner wanted a job that had flexible hours, could be done from home or with kids in tow and would provide a decent return.

The kids love the opportunity to snoop at other kids' bedrooms on open houses (and sometimes the vendor/tenants even let them play with some of the toys).

A hint for anyone selling family properties - make sure there's a box of toys out for the kids of potential buyers to play with - that way the parents get a better chance to look around the property without stress.

Back