asbestos ceiling

Hi Guys,

I recently brought a PPOR. It's a 4-2-1 BV with under floor garage, laundry, bathroom and large basement on concrete slab. Basement links to laundry and bathroom via garage. I have tiled the basement and it's now home to my ping pong table and wine collection. I am looking to build a gyprock hallway to link basement to laundry/bathroom so one doesn't have to get feet dirty by walking through garage. Problem is garage and laundry have asbestos ceiling. My plan is to remove the bits of timber between the asbestos sheets so I can nail in a timber frame for gyprock. Are there dangers in removing these timber pieces? How about nailing asbestos sheets?

Rgds,
Patrick

Attachments

• DSC_0248.jpg
    DSC_0248.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 96
  • DSC_0249.jpg
    DSC_0249.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 77
Hi Guys,

I recently brought a PPOR. It's a 4-2-1 BV with under floor garage, laundry, bathroom and large basement on concrete slab. Basement links to laundry and bathroom via garage. I have tiled the basement and it's now home to my ping pong table and wine collection. I am looking to build a gyprock hallway to link basement to laundry/bathroom so one doesn't have to get feet dirty by walking through garage. Problem is garage and laundry have asbestos ceiling. My plan is to remove the bits of timber between the asbestos sheets so I can nail in a timber frame for gyprock. Are there dangers in removing these timber pieces? How about nailing asbestos sheets?

Rgds,
Patrick

remove the cover strips and sheet directly over the ac sheeting ,make sure that you glue and screw the new sheets to the ceiling ,scraping any old paint from where the glue will be is also a help

If you plan to work with asbestos make sure you wear the appropriate safety gear for your own protection.
Keep other people well away while you are nailing or in any interfering with the asbestos.
Paint any exposed asbestos immediately to seal in the fibres.

I'm probably doomed, spent childhood building cubbies out of asbestos fibro offcuts.
Marg

If you plan to work with asbestos make sure you wear the appropriate safety gear for your own protection.
Keep other people well away while you are nailing or in any interfering with the asbestos.
Paint any exposed asbestos immediately to seal in the fibres.

I'm probably doomed, spent childhood building cubbies out of asbestos fibro offcuts.
Marg

and what you say is probably right regarding the safety precautions you have to take with asbestos ,BUT the pads in your cars are made from asbestos related products ,does that mean that you dont drive with the window down ,no ,asbestos is stable as long as you dont go and start grinding the product ,then you cant expect anything else . if the product is stable and you are not rippimg it apart then you shouldnt be exposed to anything above what you are exposed to in the atmostphere day in and day out

and what you say is probably right regarding the safety precautions you have to take with asbestos ,BUT the pads in your cars are made from asbestos related products ,
They took asbestos out of our brake pads a few years ago,that's why they heat up and warp the rotars :(

Back