Asbestos Fences

Had a look at a property over the weekend with the old asbestos fences from the 70's, was wondering if anyone has paid to have similar removed and what the cost was?

Was going to link to the photo's of the property but there's only 3 and they don't show the fences, 1 is the beach nearby, 1 is the floor plan, 1 is a very dodgy shot of the front of the house. The place is listed at land value, the house isn't much, old transportable from about '75.

Asbestos fences about 5ft high corrugated on both sides and back of property. Roughly about 80m of fence.

Cheers
Graeme

one of my buddies went through this with a seaside property in Adelaide. It was about 8 years ago or so, and from memory it was something like $24 000 for removal (my memory has gone fuzzy, but it was definitely mid $20k territory)

Got a rough quote back from an Asbestos removal company, around $5,000 so makes it reasonable. Can get a firm quote fairly quickly if required, eg during cooling off.

Cheers
Graeme

I had a removal and disposal job done recenty at one of my strata groups. I'll dig out the exact figures tonight and post an update. It's the disposal that really blows the price out.

Getting rid of asbestos fencing, we did this ourselves last year.

Asbestos eaves and ceiling sheets from a sheet, plus 12 big fencing sheets....all 8' x 4'.

Quotes from licenced contractors ranged between $ 2,600 and $ 3,500. It's a farce, preying on people's safety fears...which they swallow hook, line and sinker.

Went to Bunnings and bought the proper gear.

Proper mask & dual filters for mask...$ 36.00
Big 75m roll of black plastic.............$ 65.00
White marker pen..........................$ 3.50
3 rolls of masking tape...................$ 12.00
Fuel to get to the tip and back........$ 18.00
Tips fees to get rid of asbestos.......$ 59.00

All up total..................................$ 194.00

When up at the tip, learnt how the pro's get rid of asbestos sheeting without handling it off the trailer. Able to wrap 30 sheets in one go (about 800kg) with one piece of plastic, and minimal handling as forklift simply takes it off when supported by two gluts. Too easy.

I'm in the process of agreeing with neighbours to get rid of remaining fence if they pay for purchasing and installing new colourbond fence. They are absolutely petrified of asbestos (despite it being the fence for the past 45 years) and will agree to anything, just as long as they don't have to deal with it. Sounds typical.

Handling once, a hosed down sodden asbestos panel in the middle of winter with a mask on is not exactly the same as spending every day for 15 years in a bone dry room in Wittenoom shovelling loose fibres around like snowflakes with no mask on.

-----

Your 80m of sheeting would be about 65 sheets.

If you've got a trailer and a shovel, you'd be able to get rid of the lot for under $ 300.

I suspect you'll pay the 5K like most folks.

it's a bit like flying in a plane... crash probably won't happen. Having seen an office worker die from asbestosis (MIL) I can only comment that plane crashes happen and they aint pleasant. The cost vs risk is just another decision to be made

Hi Quoll,

I am looking at the same issue for an asbestos shed at the moment. While getting some information for a depreciation report from Depriciator, i saw in their ebook that the ATO may allow you to claim the costs of the disposal of asbestos in certain situations. Scott from Depreciator confirmed this is true.

While usaully removing a shed would would not count as a repair or as a capital work deduction, a special allowance is allowed for "environmental protection activities" such as where asbestos is removed to prevent contamination or pollution. See this tax ruling:

http://law.ato.gov.au/atolaw/print.htm?DocID=AID%2FAID2004720%2F00001&PiT=99991231235958&Life=10010101000001-99991231235959[/URL]

It just needs to have been rented as an income producing asset and to have become a danger. I'm sure the neighbours kid were playing cricket against your fence and knocked some holes in it didn't they? :D

Hi Quoll,

I am looking at the same issue for an asbestos shed at the moment. While getting some information for a depreciation report from Depriciator, i saw in their ebook that the ATO may allow you to claim the costs of the disposal of asbestos in certain situations. Scott from Depreciator confirmed this is true.

While usaully removing a shed would would not count as a repair or as a capital work deduction, a special allowance is allowed for "environmental protection activities" such as where asbestos is removed to prevent contamination or pollution. See this tax ruling:

http://law.ato.gov.au/atolaw/print.htm?DocID=AID%2FAID2004720%2F00001&PiT=99991231235958&Life=10010101000001-99991231235959[/URL]

It just needs to have been rented as an income producing asset and to have become a danger. I'm sure the neighbours kid were playing cricket against your fence and knocked some holes in it didn't they? :D

Thats good to know,

so could the cost of removal and replacement be claimed as a deduction rather than having to be depreciated.

eg if you demolished the shed and put up a new one.

I have a place with an old asbestos roof that I was just going to paint, but if I can claim a deduction for the work I might as well remove and re-roof.

We had an asbestos fence removed from an IP a few years ago (Sunshine Coast, Qld). It was the old Super 66. Can't remember the cost but it was only a few hundred dollars. If it had been more I WOULD remember! Fence was probably around 20m long.
Marg

Dazz

I think you must be my son!!!! (My son's nickname is Dazza BTW)

I did the same exercise with the asbestos from the old bathroom at the current rental renovation...domestic asbestos..went to Bunnings and bought the supplies, triple wrapped it and took it to the tip with the silver tape on it.

The young bloke that came to check out my boot and assist in putting it in the skip commended me on the wrapping...said...
"Someone read the website!!!!!"

I did wear the mask and the gloves and made sure I wet the sheets down before I wrapped and put in the boot

As I said in another thread, tip fees at Woollert, Whittlesea Shire, Vic, are $70 up to half a tonne for domestic asbestos.

Chris

Yeah, it's not difficult.....Mum.

The hardest part of the whole job is clearing away all of the vegetation / roots and then digging the trench to actually get the sheets out.

Wet it all down with a hose, wear a mask...too easy.

As I said, you aren't cutting or grinding it with loose particles flying everywhere.

The medical fraternity can wind a "risk" up to whatever level you want to go.

We saw all of the wives of the professionals driving the big 4x4's with big trailers, getting rid of it all for the husbands who were out there digging up the sheets. It was easy.

I was amazed how much they took and how little it cost to get rid of. Govt depots are extremely reasonable cost wise, compared to private contractors, who all inflame the myth it costs an arm and a leg to get rid of.

Got a rough quote back from an Asbestos removal company, around $5,000 so makes it reasonable. Can get a firm quote fairly quickly if required, eg during cooling off.

Cheers
Graeme

that is in no way, shape or form reasonable, it works out to $62.50/m

in perth (where we pay the most of just about everything) the cheapest ive seen is $25/m, most people at the moment charge $50. Im about to get some done for $32/m, agreed to it as the guy is replacing with colorbond for a fairly good price

62.50/m is a ripoff, i would get more quotes if i were you.

-----

If you've got a trailer and a shovel, you'd be able to get rid of the lot for under $ 300.

Unfortunately, unless you hold an asbestos removalists licence, you as an unlicensed person, are only permitted to remove 10m2 of sheet material. So much for close to 100m2. These guys are licensed, pay *****loads for their insurance etc. Regardless of how difficult/easy it might be, you are bearing a huge risk by not complying with the workcover regs for limits on the amount of bonded asbestos which you can personally remove.

complying with the workcover regs

.....one would expect NSW to have such ridiculous limitations.....

Fortunately, other States have far more mature experts to advise on their legislation.

I note the OP is from Adelaide, and with them looking at it over the weekend, it is a fair assumption that they also are not hamstrung by the NSW regulations.

Meanwhile, in Burundi, it is illegal to marry your goat if you also wish to remain married to your wife.

Asbestos eaves and ceiling sheets from a sheet, plus 12 big fencing sheets....all 8' x 4'.

Quotes from licenced contractors ranged between $ 2,600 and $ 3,500. It's a farce, preying on people's safety fears...which they swallow hook, line and sinker.

Went to Bunnings and bought the proper gear.

Proper mask & dual filters for mask...$ 36.00
Big 75m roll of black plastic.............$ 65.00
White marker pen..........................$ 3.50
3 rolls of masking tape...................$ 12.00
Fuel to get to the tip and back........$ 18.00
Tips fees to get rid of asbestos.......$ 59.00

All up total..................................$ 194.00

When up at the tip, learnt how the pro's get rid of asbestos sheeting without handling it off the trailer. Able to wrap 30 sheets in one go (about 800kg) with one piece of plastic, and minimal handling as forklift simply takes it off when supported by two gluts. Too easy.

I'm in the process of agreeing with neighbours to get rid of remaining fence if they pay for purchasing and installing new colourbond fence. They are absolutely petrified of asbestos (despite it being the fence for the past 45 years) and will agree to anything, just as long as they don't have to deal with it. Sounds typical.

Handling once, a hosed down sodden asbestos panel in the middle of winter with a mask on is not exactly the same as spending every day for 15 years in a bone dry room in Wittenoom shovelling loose fibres around like snowflakes with no mask on.

-----

i thought you needed a license or something to remove it thats why it costs so much?

No not really as l am in WA and just going through the motions.
Read the web site, contact the tip who will take it listen to what the people who operate the tip tell you and its a no brainer and easy on the wallet.
We have had quotes of $35 per sheet.

What Daz says applys here.

Doing a bit of DD applys to this just like everything else.
cheers

Well, got a few responses and bit of info to ponder.

Will have a read of SA regulations and see how much I can remove DIY. Will also chat with the dumps and see what it costs to get rid of.

Lots more options now, armed with more knowledge.

Thanks for sharing people.

Cheers
Graeme

Back