Asbestos in Bathroom?

Hi I am renovating an IP, when removing the old tiles from the wall in the bathroom there is a product that looks like cement sheet, this house was built in the early 70's, is the product likely to be asbestos?

If so how do I safely get rid of it?

Regards

Hi I am renovating an IP, when removing the old tiles from the wall in the bathroom there is a product that looks like cement sheet, this house was built in the early 70's, is the product likely to be asbestos?
Yes, quite likely.

If so how do I safely get rid of it?
You need to call in the guys with the overalls and the masks and who wrap it up in black plastic. google asbestos removal in your area - or yellow pages

You definitely want professionals to let you know if it is asbestos and if it is, there are regulations according to which they have to take it down, package it and dispose of it. Make sure you ask them to provide you with a certificate at the end too before you make final payment.

If you get stuck pm me.

Wishing you every success, Ana

Given your description I do not see much value in testing the material, you could safely assume that the product is asbestos and dispose of it in accordance with relevant state requirements.

In NSW & VIC you do not require a licence to remove bonded asbestos sheeting if under 10 square metres, if over this amount then it needs to be removed by a licensed asbestos removal contractor.

If you choose to remove it yourself you should do the following (also check any local giudelines);

1. Do not use power tools. Asbestos fibres can be released if power tools are used for anything other than the removal of screws.

2. Wear an Australian Standards Protection Level 2 (P2) minimum half face disposable mask and disposable coveralls. These are generally available from hardware suppliers. Non-Australian Standards certified masks should not be used where asbestos is present.

3. Wet sheets down to reduce dust generation and movement.

4. Take the sheets off whole (again, do not use power tools as this may create dust movement). When I've done it myself I've used a pin punch to knock nails through the asbestos sheeting into the timber. This generally allows the sheet to be removed whole except for small areas on the edges.

5. Seal sheets in construction grade plastic. (This should be 200 microns thick.)

6. Contact your Local Council for a licensed disposal point in your area.

Alternately leave the product alone and tile over the top of the existing surface or pay a licenced contractor and get on with the renovation.

Regards

Andrew

Back