Asbestos removal before renovation

Hi all, we plan to renovate a house which is very likely to have asbestos as it was built in the 70s.

We want to have all of the asbestos removed before the renovation starts.

Any recommended contractors and how much is it going to cost roughly? We are in Brisbane.

Thanks

Most likely comes down to your area and what council charges and the process involved for the contractor to deal with council.

Im NSW and just had lining taken out of inside of 3 bedroom house all walls and ceilings
$7000.00

Can I ask why you want to remove ALL the asbestos?

Are you renovating every wall and ceiling?

If you are not removing a wall or ceiling you do not need to remove it.

That is going to be as very expensive possibly unnecessary exercise.

Interesting. I have a living space that has a ceiling with a portion of it being asbestos. I have had plans to reskin the old ceiling in the past but have not taken any steps to complete this. (Timber profiles over each ceiling joint is a look I'm trying to remove before selling).

Is there any problems with going over the top of asbestos like this or is that a no-no and it needs to be removed? I've got a low pitch roof so have the fibre insulation in place as well so the pulling off of asbestos has further costs with replacing insulation as well.

If you're going to remove some you may as well remove all. Except for the eave soffits..

1) Cost per sq.m comes down the more you do.
2) What if you change your mind halfway through the reno and change the wall layout or even add in a gpo.
3) Resale value. Most know there is nothing wrong with undisturbed fibro, but it's amazing how it still scares off a lot of people.

In Brisbane it's typically $50/sq.m and reduces down to about $30 if you have a lot or can bargain them down. If you have the low density board the cost spirals..

For me I had planned to gyprock over the asbestos lining and gyprocker was ok
with doing it , done it many times, however I found black wiring throughout
part of the house and was recommended to replace all wiring , easier to
replace once asbestos gone.

Hi all, we plan to renovate a house which is very likely to have asbestos as it was built in the 70s.

We want to have all of the asbestos removed before the renovation starts.

Any recommended contractors and how much is it going to cost roughly? We are in Brisbane.

Thanks

Be careful of what you wish for. There is most probably asbestos sheet in the bathroom, laundry and kitchen walls and ceiling, so both of those rooms will be gutted and stripped back to the timber frames. The eaves around the house are also likely asbestos fibro so there is a lot of work there. The verandah or sunroom at the back is also likely fibro.

Unless you are planning a full Reno of a room, just leave the asbestos sheet where it is and paint it up all nice.

Dont you have to notify any future purchaser if you know of asbestos being in your property ?

Please think carefully before you risk yours or any contractors health - I lost my 37yr old son to mesothelioma 10 years ago, he earned his living doing renovations.

Dont you have to notify any future purchaser if you know of asbestos being in your property ?

Not that I know of. Every property built before 1987 in Sydney/NSW/Australia would have such a warning, so it's of little use. Move on, nothing to see here.

It would easy enough for me to claim rightly that I don't *know* there is asbestos in my house, because I've never had it tested. I don't think there is a need: there has been so much information about that it's not like anything is being hidden.

Back