Asbestos Removal

Hi All,
Just wondering of anyone has had any experience with asbestos removal? Trying to guage the costs involved in having an asbestos single garage removed? Thanks in advance

I paid about $450 to have tilux removed from my 1950s bathroom in Melbourne. I'm going to need a lot more AC sheets removed soon so knowing a ballpark price would be helpful.

I got a qoute not that long ago and for a 3mx 2m one side there that cost me abt $250.

I guess for 4 sides + ceiling that would be somethign like $250x5 =$1250

maybe?

My asbestos garage is being pulled down as we speak.
My total cost was $5,500 but that included ripping up the 9x6 slab and also about 40 sqm of concrete driveway ,fencing, regrading half the land and complete removal from the site.The concrete added a lot to my quote so i cant give you an accurate figure on the asbestos side of things.

Cheers.

im about to get a 4x3 garage (i think) removed for $1500.

this is in perth which i assume would be more expensive than most cities but is a pretty cheap price for perth.

also got a price of 40/m for asbestos fence removal, one guy came in at 100/m. trying to get it down a bit more

i must say this job has somewhat restored my faith in tradies, had some brilliant ones so far (did a pretty extensive reno)

Just wondering of anyone has had any experience with asbestos removal? Trying to guage the costs involved in having an asbestos single garage removed?

Yes, we have just done this ourselves.

Asbestos eaves and ceiling sheets from a sheet, plus 12 big fencing sheets....all 8' x 4'.

Quotes from licenced contractors ranged between $ 2,600 and $ 3,500. It's a farce, preying on people's safety fears...which they swallow hook, line and sinker.

Went to Bunnings and bought the proper gear.

Proper mask & dual filters for mask...$ 36.00
Big 75m roll of black plastic.............$ 65.00
White marker pen..........................$ 3.50
3 rolls of masking tape...................$ 12.00
Fuel to get to the tip and back........$ 18.00
Tips fees to get rid of asbestos.......$ 59.00

All up total..................................$ 194.00

When up at the tip, learnt how the pro's get rid of asbestos sheeting without handling it off the trailer. Able to wrap 30 sheets in one go (about 800kg) with one piece of plastic, and minimal handling as forklift simply takes it off when supported by two gluts. Too easy.

I'm in the process of agreeing with neighbours to get rid of remaining fence if they pay for purchasing and installing new colourbond fence. They are absolutely petrified of asbestos (despite it being the fence for the past 45 years) and will agree to anything, just as long as they don't have to deal with it.

Handling once, a hosed down sodden asbestos panel in the middle of winter with a mask on is not exactly the same as spending every day for 15 years in a bone dry room in Wittenoom shovelling loose fibres around like snowflakes with no mask on.

In Qld as an owner you can remove up to 10sqm without having a license over this supposed to engage a licensed contractor. personally I don't see the difference of 10, 20 or 30 sqm as long as its done correctly.

If you are prepared to do the work yourself yes you will save money, no questions there.

As a licensed bonded asbestos removalist if I was to do this in someone house the area i'm working in is to be sealed before work starts I am to have an air monitor in place and once the job is complete the place is then tested and certified as asbestos clear. The work of removing is only part of the process where a home owner does not go to this extent so saves some $$$.

As for the garage I would guess if its external walls and roof a day for two guys and a bin $1500- $2000.

Brian

Hi Brian. I'm wondering whether you can give a ballpark figure on what it would cost to remove Super 6 which has been used to enclose a small queenslander (where the battens would be).

We have this in one of our IPs and believe that if we have it removed, we can claim the whole cost in one financial year.

It is painted outside but not inside. If I was removing it myself, I would paint it completely first, but I don't want to touch it.

I'm only looking for ballpark now because we would probably not do this until we were ready to lift the house and move it over to give us enough driveway to develop in the back, but just curious really.

To do it now would mean we would have to batten it now, which is money down the drain if it is ever lifted.

I run an asbestos removal business in Perth and we charge about 80-100 dollars per square meter for asbestos shed removal. This includes removal of asbestos and removal of frame. Price includes all cost associated with disposal etc.

If the shed has a concrete slab that needs to be removed the price goes up to 140 per square meter.

Anyone in Perth wanting asbestos removal at these prices go to.

http://www.asbestosremovalforperth.com.au

Last edited:
As a licenced asbestos remover i can tell you that prices vary from tradie to tradie, they start from $30-$100 /m2

You just have to shop around.

price goes up to 140 per square meter.

Anyone in Perth wanting asbestos removal at these prices go to....

Someone else !!!

Red Hill, the most expensive tip in Perth, charge $ 1.40 per sqm as the tip fee. You can get rid of asbestos for as low as $ 1.20 per sqm.

These contractors must look at the tip fees and then just slide the decimal point two places to the right and hand that to the customer as a quote.

What price your health......yeah bugger it......slide it four places to the right - they'll pay.

As a licenced asbestos remover i can tell you that prices vary from tradie to tradie, they start from $30-$100 /m2

You just have to shop around.

Price is one thing, but knowing how good they are is more important.

I was going to go with a random i picked form the newspaper. I rang workcover, and they said his advertised licence number doesn't exist.

Another guy I rang was very abrupt, and couldn't /wouldnt answer specifics about what precautions he takes.

I left phone messages for 3 others and they never rang back.

So frustrating finding someone reliable.

Price is one thing, but knowing how good they are is more important.

I was going to go with a random i picked form the newspaper. I rang workcover, and they said his advertised licence number doesn't exist.

Another guy I rang was very abrupt, and couldn't /wouldnt answer specifics about what precautions he takes.

I left phone messages for 3 others and they never rang back.

So frustrating finding someone reliable.

....Aussie tradesman don't like being interrogated....

come to think of it, there ain't many professionals either that love being quizzed.

I got a quote of $40 per panel to get rid of my asbesos fencing. I digged them out (Good work out which I enjoy and saved me lot of money :))and paid $20 per panel to get rid of them (packing and transporting is the boring part) I think that was a good price.

If you are worried about the fibers when digging it out, spray the panels with water that will make the fibers settle down. Its not too bad anyway if you dont break the panels. Breating some just for a day wont kill you anyway lol

Where do people think the original; dust that was on the product when installed and any of the offcuts and trimmings went?

They went right into the dirt around the job. Every home in Australia before built 1985 would have had a layer of offcuts lying around. Further, back in those times they didn't clean up the sites at the end of the build but left it to the home owner.

So how much is still in the dirt that is around every home. If they did their little test on the soild then most probably every home in this category would be declared a toxic dump, not even including the fixed sheets that are still in place.

As already mentioned a storm in a tea cup with those associated preying on the emotions of the frightened masses.

Cheers

I don't know about Perth tip fees, but i know about Sydney fees, its $350.00 minimum charge, and $380.00 per tonne, and you have to book it when to bring it in.

Every time i went to the tip with my trailer it cost me over $1000.00 and there are only 3 tip places that accept asbestos.

On top of that there are licence fees, two types of insurances, work wear and PPE for every job, Air monitoring, WMS on every job, Neighbours notification, Work Cover Approval for every job, dust in the eyes behind the sheets, neighbours complaining and no matter how safe you are working they will come and complain and ring Work Cover. Working with mask respirator and overall all day in the sun is as hard as digging trench by hand.

If you really think Dazz that its a such an easy job, then why don't you do it every day for living and make millions.

I don't know about Perth tip fees...

Here ya go then ;

If you belong to one of the 6 councils, it's only $ 105 per tonne to get rid of asbestos. If you live outside those 6 councils, it's $ 150 / tonne.

http://www.emrc.org.au/fees-and-charges-page.html

With the typical 8' x 4' sheet weighing approx. 26kg, you can lay down some wooden chocks underneath, lay a big layer of black plastic, wrap up 30 sheets in one simple bundle, wrap it up with $ 2.00 worth of tape and write in big white writing, then get th enice lady driving the forklift at Redhill to unload the 780kg bundle in less than 1 minute and they'll charge you 0.78 * $ 105 = $ 81.90

So, by the time you take fuel into account, you can safely get rid of 30 x 4' = 36m of asbestos fence for under $ 100 bucks.

Even if your house was totally surrounded by an asbestos fence on all 3 sides, you could easily get rid of it for under $ 200.

If what you say is correct about Sydney prices, all I can say is the NSW public has once again been hoodwinked by the environmental lobby.

If you really think Dazz that its a such an easy job, then why don't you do it every day for living and make millions.

.....um, because I've decided to use my real estate brain and make millions sitting on my bum.....it's soooo much more fun. :)

I know what Dazz is saying, but not everyone is handy to do that, and its a hard and risky job. That's why the prices are up to $100/m2.

Its expensive, but someone has to do it, and who ever is doing it there are rules to follow.

NSW fees are highest in Australia, i think i will start shipping business, collect asbestos in NSW and send it to Perth :D

Back