asbestos roof

Hello all,
Hoping some one has some ideas to a problem.
My IP has got a corrugated asbestos roof. It is about 30 years old but actually in good nick. The problem is it has discoloured to a dirty grey and spoils what is an otherwise nice looking place in a nice street. I have had a couple of roof companies look at it and
they had kittens and said my roof would poison the world and should be considered a WMD. followed by outrageuos quotes to remove it then replace it with colorbond.
Now, I know asbestos is ok so long as it is stable and not turned into dust, so as is does not constitute a health hazard.
Does any body know if I could get it spray painted like a tile roof, or any other suggestions.
Any help on this will be returned with good karma.
Joff

G'day Joff

When I had 'Leafbuster' fitted to the roof at Myrtle Cottage, I asked the installer to recommend a roof restoration person.

Darren, of Secure Roofing Restorations Freecall 1800 766 316 came around, clambered about a bit, said he had been fixing roofs for 'about 30 years' and promptly returned with his merry crew and did the admittedly minor bits and pieces with speed, good humour and skill.

If he's been in the business as long as he says, he will be able to advise you on sealing and repainting yours!

Do tell him he has been recommended. It's important in business to hear if your customers are happy. I hope he can help you.

Cheers

Kristine

By the way - HIA Member No: 809298
Master Builders Assoc: 051433

Warranty up to 10 years

Heading on invoice says 'since 1977"

Hi Joff,
Another approach.....
Accept the roof for what it is. Practical. Low maintenance. Paid for.
All good things !!
Use a colour consultant and select colours to paint the house that compliment the roof ...it will then tend to blend in.

LL

Hi All,

In WA, most of the fences are made from corrugated asbestos! Several of my mates have borrowed my spray gun to paint these fences in assorted colors.

My advise to you would be to wait until you can guarentee a dry, sunny day then go to a hire shop and hire a high pressure water sprayer and a paint sprayer that allows you to draw paint straight from the tin. One of the new Wagner professional painters even allows you to have 2 guns attached to it!

In the morning get on the roof and clean it with the washer. Before the water dries (so that the paint doesn't get sucked into the roof too much), get the paint sprayer up there and start getting the paint on the roof.

The hire of machinery should not be any more than $250 and the paint maybe $200.

Good luck

Glenn

Glenn,
When you paint a fence you don't have to walk on it.
I'm told these old fibro roofs get real brittle ?
Anbody got any info. on that ?

LL

One thing I would reccommend against is high pressure cleaning the asbestos sheeting. It is illegal and you could be heavily fined.

Wetting down is ok for removal but not water blasting.

Regards

Adrian See

A friend of mine who is a waterproofer told me of a sealer you can paint on the asbestos roof that will contain it for years.Would not reveal his secret.Perhaps an inquiry to a supplier might help.good luck layer181

Thank you all for your responses.
I took layer 181's advice and have discovered that there is a sealer that can be applied to seal all the goodness in the roof.
Over that I can apply any roofing paint. The difference in cost of that and replacing it, what with all the rules about asbestos removal would buy me another IP.
Again, thanks all
Joff

Thank you all for your responses.
I took layer 181's advice and have discovered that there is a sealer that can be applied to seal all the goodness in the roof.
Over that I can apply any roofing paint. The difference in cost of that and replacing it, what with all the rules about asbestos removal would buy me another IP.
Again, thanks all
Joff

Hi Joff.
Glad to be of help,supposedly:mad: friend of my said it was his trade secret.Did some research myself cause one of my ips has asbestos gutters and downpipes.All in good nick never rust or rot just ugly.Cheers layer181

Speaking of Asbestos Roofs

I know this is a bit off the subject but a friend of mine who is also an investor wanted to quickly buy this bargain he was offered. Wanted to use his own PPOR as security but one bank turned him down because it had an asbestos roof. He eventually did get his loan approved but I thought it was interesting, because we've looked at a few houses with these roofs and I wouldn't have thought of that one.

He just said that that was part of that particular banks criteria. Has anyone else come across this?

Cheers
QB:)

First, you DO NOT walk on the asbestos roof directly. Sheet of plywood with a 90x45 mm stud screwed to the edge of it (to hook over the roof's ridge) and battens screwed to the other side (for you to stand on without slipping down do the trick).

Definitely NO high pressure cleaning. This will simply break asbestos sheets (not to mention water penetrating roof cavity). Instead wash roof first with the hose,wet roof with 1:1 solution of water/household bleach with addition of some washing powder(to remove fungus). Leave it on for 10-20 minutes, then brush roof with household broom and hose it off.

After that, just paint it with Solagard. Will it be spray gun or special roller for corrugated roof - matter of personal taste.

Back