Asbestos?

Is there an easy method to determine whether an older home is made of asbestos?

For example, older homes in rural areas are often referred to by agents as “cladded”, “canondite(?)” or Fibro cement sheet. – All looks the same to me.

Is there an easy way of “knowing” or is a building inspection the only method?

Phil J

Last edited by a moderator:
Reply: 1

All properties built before the mid 1980's (and some even later) may contain Asbestos cement sheeting; particularly in the 'wet' areas (bathrooms, laundries, wc's and kitchens) and the eave linings.

Caneite is a by product of the sugar cane industry and you probably recognise it as pin board material. I don't believe Caneite is toxic or harmful to humans but check this out to be sure.

Michael Croft

Reply: 1.1

Howdy there,

out of curiosity, I have an IP (Melb) that has a single garage made of asbestos & also the roof is of the house (around 12 squares) is made of the corrugated asbestos... as I intend to demolish both in the future, does anyone know roughly what the demolition costs would be due to the Asbestos?

(site is on a corner & easy access all round)

Cheers,

MannyB.

Reply: 1.1.1

Asbestos cement tends to get very hard and brittle with time. A property inspection report would probably cover this. Asbestos cement is only dangerous when broken(supposedly). In one piece it is (supposedly) not dangerous.

To have a house demolished in southeast Melb and removed costs approx 3-5k, wit Asbestos triple the cost as the wrapping and disposal is costly to the demolisher.

Dave

Reply: 1.1.1.1

Hi,

A standard property inspection report will not cover asbestos unless it is a special "hazards" report. Some inspectors may give a generic disclaimer that says that the building may contain asbestos - however short of an invasive inspection (or x-ray vision) it is difficult to tell one flat painted cladding from another.

A hazards report will be clearly defined and may included materials/soil testing eg. organo chlorides (commonly used prior to the mid 1990's as a termite treatment) are invisible.

Michael Croft

Reply: 1.1.2

Manny
demolition costs vary depending upon how much material is salvageable.
In general $3-6,000 for a suburban house Add a few extra thousand for an asbestos garage. The demolisher must get a special permit for asbestos and wrap it in plastic and specially dump it ,ooo
Michael Yardney
Metropole Properties

Reply: 2

Phillip

I'm getting 'faux brick' removed from a house in Ringwood this week.

The sandy looking brick pattern was overlaid onto asbestos cement sheet and installed on thousands of Melbourne houses during the 1970s.

I have been quoted $500 for the bin including cartage and disposal fees plus $33 for the liner if I do it myself, or an extra approx $1000 if they do it and dispose of it. This is for 3 sides of approx 10 imp sq house. I thought this very reasonable as the job would be done in one day.

The other house I've got has asbestos cement lined eaves, porch ceiling and internal laundry walls, faux brick on all four exterior walls. Approx $2,200 quote for this. (Including GST)

However, this is removal of exterior cladding, not demolition of the whole house.

The yellow pages has plenty of contractors to choose from - try Reads Waste in Dingley Village (03) 9558 3557.

After hearing all sorts of scare stories, it really is simple to organise, and quite cheap!

Cheers

Kristine

Reply: 2.1

Howdy there,

thank you for the tips/pointers for demolishing a home with some asbestos... I'll keep them in mind for when I'm ready to demolish)...

Cheers,

MannyB.

Reply: 2.1.1

OK,

Thanks everyone - These posts answer my question that there isn't an "easy" method to determine asbestos construction.

Phil J

Reply: 2.1.1.1

HI,

We recently had asbestos removed from our house in 2 bedrooms. It had strapping covering the joins and when some of these were removed the words asbestos were written along some of the edges. Also when the girl from the waste company came to quote she tried to scratch it with her keys and couldn't and said this means its asbestos. Apparently cement sheet would have been easy to cut with her keys.

Back