Ashamed to be Australian

Hi,

Doesn't have anything to do with being a proud aussie or not, this is simply a case of someone being an *ssh*le.

Everyone has one, every country has people like this, nationality is irrelevant.

It may have be an attack on Aborigines in this case but in reality it could be an attack on the vagrants and homeless anywhere in the world, if you read the papers it happens often, unfortunately.

So I am sorry that it happened but I am proud to be an Aussie because at least we took the trouble to uphold the rights of those attacked.

the victim - none

the family - shock, outrage, then if they are deeply religious, a false forgiveness

the country - torn down the middle

What bothers me the most is that the Judge represented these people as being of good character. That's not justice I my book.

why cant they be? it's not like it's their weekly routine.
anyone can make bad decisions under influence of alcohol

i wonder how long will it be till this thread gets locked :p

Hi,

Doesn't have anything to do with being a proud aussie or not, this is simply a case of someone being an *ssh*le.

Everyone has one, every country has people like this, nationality is irrelevant.

It may have be an attack on Aborigines in this case but in reality it could be an attack on the vagrants and homeless anywhere in the world, if you read the papers it happens often, unfortunately.

So I am sorry that it happened but I am proud to be an Aussie because at least we took the trouble to uphold the rights of those attacked.

I think the issue is the last paragraph and the seemingly light sentences considering the seeming callous crime and motives making some question if the rights of those attacked were in fact upheld to the degree they should have been. In this day and age, a judge seemingly doing that.... makes me sort of cringe.

Hi Jaycee,

I don't condone the callous attitude to law and order, every day in Australia and throughout the world we read of people who are the actual victims being treated like the criminal.

We read of people abusing police without any action being taken, if the police take them to court the cases are dismissed because "that is the way society talks among friends"

Generally, society has become far too lenient in excusing people that are abusing the rights of others. The lack of respect for others is being eroded by the bleeding hearts and the softly softly mob.

So it is not that I think the people should not be charged, it is the use of the headlining cliche that criticises this wonderful country of ours.

Have a read of a newspaper, watch the news at night and actually think about what is happening in other countries, WHY would you want to live somewhere else ?

Australia is by far the only place I want to live and as you can see, I disagree with the weakened attitude of the law but that is the way society seems to want it at present.

No way will I ever be ashamed to be an Aussie

why cant they be? it's not like it's their weekly routine.
anyone can make bad decisions under influence of alcohol
You've got to be kidding, right?

"Bad decisions under the influence of alcohol" would embrace telling your spouse that they're overweight, dancing on a table and breaking things, or perhaps making ill-advised calls to exes.

But people who are fundamentally good and have a bit too much alcohol don't suddenly decide to go and frighten and inflict violence on people minding their own business. Anybody who behaves violently when they drink, shouldn't drink. Alcohol is absolutely no excuse for this kind of behaviour.

I wouldn't let a few neanderthals, who will hopefully, if found guilty, will get there right wack, let me change the way I feel about my country, nationality.

Why would you assign so much influence over your feelings on your country to people who act and behave in an illegal, unethical manner. Those people don't represent the mainstream values or behaviours across the country.

Great post Tracy.

What gets me is why this disgusting incident didn't make the mainstream media.

There is absolutely no excuse for this....alcohol, drugs or not. Its sub human.

The whole thing (the crime, the judges comments and decisions etc) is maybe the prevailing red neck attitude toward aborigines in the bush...i wouldn't know, i'm a city person.

You've got to be kidding, right?

"Bad decisions under the influence of alcohol" would embrace telling your spouse that they're overweight, dancing on a table and breaking things, or perhaps making ill-advised calls to exes.

But people who are fundamentally good and have a bit too much alcohol don't suddenly decide to go and frighten and inflict violence on people minding their own business. Anybody who behaves violently when they drink, shouldn't drink. Alcohol is absolutely no excuse for this kind of behaviour.

I wouldn't let a few neanderthals, who will hopefully, if found guilty, will get there right wack, let me change the way I feel about my country, nationality.

Why would you assign so much influence over your feelings on your country to people who act and behave in an illegal, unethical manner. Those people don't represent the mainstream values or behaviours across the country.
I do agree with you; I'm still a proud Australian.

But, if I may be so presumptuous, I think VYBerlinaV8's comments are not relating to the actions of the perpetrators, but an expression of his frustration at the judge's attitude. The judge is supposed to reflect our nation's view on justice, and I think VYBerlinaV8 is saying that if the judge's views are reflective of "Australia's views" - and I think most of us would agree that they're not - then he would rather not be viewed as Australian...

elastrator.jpg

It's not about them being Australians or any other country's citizens.

It's about 5 stupid young and drunk men.

Could happen (and does) anywhere in the world.

What is more of a concern to me is yet another example of leniency by judges towards idiots who commit crimes.

I wonder how this would have played if the dead man was the judge's son or father or brother?

What made me angry was that the Judge effectively seemed to represent the perpetrators, rather than being an impartial overseer of the justice process.

I agree that this could have happened anywhere, but the way the justice system handled things is what I found most disgusting.

The race aspect is, in this case, irrelevant.

Pathetic (in)justice

PATHETIC​

They weren't all drunk. It is reported most were, however the driver (Kloeden) apparently not. No excuse in any case, nor to actually return for "second bite of cherry" :mad: and then the tragic ending.

So even if this was out of character whilst not intoxicated as the Chief Justice says, a not so sqeaky clean history obviously bears no weight in the determination. :cool:

Oh, yeah.....and here's the kicker, the same Chief (In)justice is able to provide character references for these obnoxious sub-human animals. No conflict of interest there Your (Dis)Honour.

Agree with most others however, it does not change my pride of being born here and the joyous, and happy disposition of freedom we encounter here in Australia compared to other parts of the globe.

Yes, it can happen anywhere, but it happened here. One can only prognosticate on the basis of karma that these terrorists will get back what they put out, perhaps whilst incarcerated or upon their release.

*** Shakes head in disgust ***

PATHETIC​

Back