Asian hubs in Perth and Adelaide

My niche is Asian suburbs for reasons I can explain if anyone is interested.

Anyway I'm done with Brisbane and am planning ahead, and would like to better understand the Perth and Adeliade markets.

Where are the main Asian hubs there (focusing on Chinese, not so much Vietnamese - Vietnames generally have their own distinct areas like Cabramatta, Inala, St Albans)?

I'm looking for these equivalents:

Sydney - Chatswood, Eastwood, Hurstville

Brisbane - Sunnybank, Robertson

Melbourne - Glen Waverly and surroundings

Thanks

There are a few in perth. North of river - girrawheen and surrounds for lots of vietnamese

South of river - the whole section from winthrop to willetton, mainly due to willetton and applecross high schools. This is more south east asian chinese and Indians, along with some Sri Lankans

Applecross has lots of Asians too but is a pretty pricy suburb

Mainland chinese are spread a bit actually. A fair few are in northbridge and surrounds in apartments

There are a few in perth. North of river - girrawheen and surrounds for lots of vietnamese

South of river - the whole section from winthrop to willetton, mainly due to willetton and applecross high schools. This is more south east asian chinese and Indians, along with some Sri Lankans

Applecross has lots of Asians too but is a pretty pricy suburb

Mainland chinese are spread a bit actually. A fair few are in northbridge and surrounds in apartments

Which of these have lots of Chinese vs being *dominated* by Chinese. It's the latter I'm looking for. My above examples are basically Chinatowns in their respective cities.

Adelaide doesn't really have any suburbs that stand out as being strongly dominated by Chinese owner-occupiers, although the city centre does have a small concentration of Chinese investor buying in the new apartment buildings - there is the cluster of Vietnamese influenced suburbs to the north-west around Arndale/Athol Park though.

Biggest attraction to Asians (Chinese, Indians, Malaysians, Singaporeans) for SOR suburbs is the 2 high schools: Rossmoyne and Willetton.

Rossmoyne used to top Willetton consistently in the ATAR rankings. But the last 3 years had been different. They both put up good fights :D

My kids go to Rossmoyne SHS. Good, solid school.

Biggest attraction to Asians (Chinese, Indians, Malaysians, Singaporeans) for SOR suburbs is the 2 high schools: Rossmoyne and Willetton.

Rossmoyne used to top Willetton consistently in the ATAR rankings. But the last 3 years had been different. They both put up good fights :D

Both suburbs right next to each other. Water too, very nice - any flood risks? So it looks like other than Northbridge, most of the population is in the south. Makes it easier for me to do my research. In Sydney there are so many asian hubs, it's too hard to choose!

Adelaide doesn't really have any suburbs that stand out as being strongly dominated by Chinese owner-occupiers, although the city centre does have a small concentration of Chinese investor buying in the new apartment buildings - there is the cluster of Vietnamese influenced suburbs to the north-west around Arndale/Athol Park though.

ok thanks, so similar to Canberra then. I think someone told me Dickson was the asian area and when I went to the main shops there, there was literally 1 chinese restaurant LOL. Granted, this was 8 years ago...

Seems to be quite a few Vietnamese around Kilkenny / Woodville.

I've noticed at Opens for newish properties in the eastern suburbs of ADL seem to be dominated by young Asian families, presumably interested in the local schools.

Inner north (Enfield, Kilburn etc) have notable patches of subcontinent and middle eastern people. (Some of the restaurants are terrific!)

Last edited:
Hum, also south, and also close to the others. Should make exploring really easy. Can't wait to take a look around!

Make sure you get the right precinct for school zoning, just ask agents.

Also there are properties which can be subdivided, ie retain front, build rear R20/25, just make sure its not backing on to a main road.

ok thanks, so similar to Canberra then. I think someone told me Dickson was the asian area and when I went to the main shops there, there was literally 1 chinese restaurant LOL. Granted, this was 8 years ago...

It's been a mini Chinatown for ages, Jackie Chan's parents used to have a restaurant there:

"Chan joined his parents in Canberra in 1976, where he briefly attended Dickson College and worked as a construction worker. A fellow builder named Jack took Chan under his wing, thus earning Chan the nickname of "Little Jack" that was later shortened to "Jackie", and the name Jackie Chan has stuck with him ever since."

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-news/jackie-chans-170k-spendup-in-fyshwick-20130528-2n9wi.html

Can you describe why you target Asian dominated suburbs?

Sure.

Asians in general are very hard workers, and investing - particularly in property - is very much ingrained in their culture. Ethnic groups are also very homogenous - not just asians, but everyone. Look at how expat caucasians all group together when living in Japan and Hong Kong for example. So you have a highly concentrated group of people that work hard and like to invest, and it's growing at a steady pace - I very much subscribe to the idea of the rise of SE Asia in the next 30-50 years, and I see Australia benefiting a lot from this.

Sure.

Asians in general are very hard workers, and investing - particularly in property - is very much ingrained in their culture. Ethnic groups are also very homogenous - not just asians, but everyone. Look at how expat caucasians all group together when living in Japan and Hong Kong for example. So you have a highly concentrated group of people that work hard and like to invest, and it's growing at a steady pace - I very much subscribe to the idea of the rise of SE Asia in the next 30-50 years, and I see Australia benefiting a lot from this.

Off topic, but SE Asia domination? LOL Unlikely. English is the unofficial lingua franca of the world and International Business Language. Let's look at the leading East and SE Asian economies:

China, Japan & South Korea are export orientated economies that heavily rely on USA as an export market. All their goods are basically Western ideas being made cheaply and miniaturised.

Most of the very expensive manufacturing and services sector is dominated by the Anglophone/European world:

* Aerospace & Aircraft: USA, European Consortiums, some Japanese and Chinese companies.
* Defense/Military: USA, Russia, Israel, lower end is Chinese though.
* Advanced Machinery: USA, Germany, Japan.

Hong Kong is basically a bridge from West to China in doing business. Singapore is nothing but a Western modeled city with English speaking Asians. Both are followers in finance, not leaders.

This property boom will end in bust a la the Japanese in the 80s!

If anything, Australia will be somewhat like a SE Asian/Chinese Switzerland - money flowing in from rich.

^^ I talked about the RISE of Asia. Not Asian domination. No need to take it personally, I'm not suggesting they dominate the world.

And why are you even comparing them to the Japanese, they might as well be their own category. They don't migrate. They're very insular. There is almost no basis for comparing the Chinese immigrants here with the Japanese businessmen of the 80's.

I moved from Parkinson, Brisbane back to Kiara, Perth 2.5 yrs ago, after spending 2 yrs in Brisbane. I noticed a huge jump in Asian population in Kiara, Perth. Nothing like Sunnybank, but if I went for a walk at Bottlebrush Park there was usually around 6 groups of Asians, No-one else. I also noticed more around the shops around Benara & Beechboro Rd's. I sold my Home 6 Months ago to a young Asian Fifo. He grow up a few streets away in Morley.
According to my RE Agent some Asians family members bid against each other to buy into Bennet Springs. (It used to be an estate in Beechboro but was renamed to Bennet Springs as it's newer, more upmarket housing) it's a very multicultural area. A lot of Fifo Indians are purchasing in new estates in Caversham.

Off topic, but SE Asia domination? LOL Unlikely. English is the unofficial lingua franca of the world and International Business Language. Let's look at the leading East and SE Asian economies:

China, Japan & South Korea are export orientated economies that heavily rely on USA as an export market. All their goods are basically Western ideas being made cheaply and miniaturised.

Most of the very expensive manufacturing and services sector is dominated by the Anglophone/European world:

* Aerospace & Aircraft: USA, European Consortiums, some Japanese and Chinese companies.
* Defense/Military: USA, Russia, Israel, lower end is Chinese though.
* Advanced Machinery: USA, Germany, Japan.

Hong Kong is basically a bridge from West to China in doing business. Singapore is nothing but a Western modeled city with English speaking Asians. Both are followers in finance, not leaders.

This property boom will end in bust a la the Japanese in the 80s!

If anything, Australia will be somewhat like a SE Asian/Chinese Switzerland - money flowing in from rich.
I think you have misread/understood the OPs post. They did not mention anything about language or SE Asian domination???

Singapore is more of the Switzerland of asia. Our tax regimes are not 'friendly' enough for super large capital flows. Hence private banking being much larger in SG than it is here.

http://dailyreckoning.com/the-switzerland-of-asia/

Canning Vale also has a lot of Chinese. Rossmoyne/Willeton are the areas which have higher concentration of people of Chinese background due to the schools (I used to live there).

Cannington is also popular. One thing I notice is the lack of attention to gardens and as a result it drags the areas down.

Last edited:

Following on from this post;

The top public primary school in Adelaide in Linden Park Pri Sch. More than 50% of the students are Asian descent.

Posted this link couple of weeks ago in the Adelaide thread;

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messe...358295521?sv=2df46d255a1c515a5b040337dc868a07

The top public high school is Glenunga International High School. Again very strong Asian enrolment, with its IB curriculum.

Both these schools are in the Eastern suburbs and about 10 mins drive from each other. I would be looking at properties in these zones. ( coming from an Asian who is living in these zones ;))

Back