Ask not what the treasurer can do for you

Time will tell

OK, lets wait and see what happens. I bet very few if any of Abbotts/Hockeys proposals get through. Time will tell. I know how the majority of Australians think - and they don't like it one bit!....90 minutes travel lol, yeah right.

...She has told me of the myriad of ways that her old school cohort exist. Charities don't give you money for mobile phones, foxtel, cigarettes, grog or gunja but they will pay your rent, services costs, food to help out. None of this additional assistance is recorded as income.

Any chance of hooking me up:D

This is what a single mother with 2 children under 6 years who is studying gets.

centerlink.jpg

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nat...nefits-study-aid/story-fn59nsif-1226936519119

She is currently earning $2k more than me per year.

She'd be earning more than a lot of Australian families.

I think it was Adam Bandt who said it... thinks a slight reduction in FTB will result in these mums resorting to prostitution.

HR... that's right why would you?

What it does show is they are gifted with substantial help which includes getting themselves educated/skilled and work ready for when their youngest turns 6.

If they decide not to help themselves then they are at fault not the government who are trying to give them a nudge to help themselves - through a reduction in their Centerlink payments.

This is what a single mother with 2 children under 6 years who is studying gets.

View attachment 12326

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nat...nefits-study-aid/story-fn59nsif-1226936519119

Unbelievable. Earns more than most people i work with! Do they really get all those benefits though? Maybe thats everything possibly available but they don't get all of it. A person on centrelink benefits told me she was thinking about applying for a job at costco northlakes but didn't want to in case her surgery was scheduled. She then said that shes been on a govie surgery wait list for 2 years :eek:

Unbelievable.Do they really get all those benefits though? Maybe thats everything possibly available but they don't get all of it.

The figures in the table didn't look right to me. Especially the overall 55K figure. So I did some research on the Dept of Human Services website.

These are possible benefits payments but single parents don't get all of it at the same time.
Especially if they are working, they lose many of the stated benefits. Especially the $15,120 Jobs Education Training (JET) Child Care Fee Assistance - exaggerated figure

Small Fine print: -
The table assumes "unemployed sole parent who is undertaking study and has 2 children aged under 6. Calculation of JETCCFA subsidy assumes parent uses this subsidy 27 hours a week and puts children in care for 40 weeks of the year while studying".

In reality, single parents can only use this subsidy up to 24 hours a week and only for chunk periods of time mostly. e.g. searching for a job - up to 20 days. If studying, study or training is for Senior Secondary Certificate of Education courses or Certificate II (cost varies) to Graduate Diploma level qualifications only (approx 7-10k course cost from parents pocket).

Table assumes addition of all possible parenting benefits. The reality is stark in contrast. Single mothers receive much less in a year than what is largely overblown here.
Remember, this is a table in The Australian which is a Murdoch paper.

Let's hear from some of the single parents on the 'Parenting Payment for Parents' Facebook public page. They are not happy how they are being portrayed/beat up in the media.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Michelle Macky : I work and lose most of my centrelink payment because of.that.. I certainly dont get education allowance or anywhere near that child care rebate ... what crap..

Sharon Jones : I get $18000. That's new start and family tax A and B combined. These people who think single parents get $55000 are on something.

Debbie Burton : The part where it says, "3 taxpayers on average salaries pay $17,000 each a year in tax to cover the entitlements of one single parent" is really confusing. About $36 per year of the average taxpayer goes towards Centrelink benefits....most of the taxpayers money goes to infrastructure and politicians pockets.

Parenting Payment for Parents - NOT Newstart : I get $19,400 a yr from government were is the rest of you $55,000

Bridget Russell : I wish I got this much

Liz Black : What a load of rubbish! They will stop at nothing!

Michael Mitchell : Yeah ******** I brought my daughter up on my own and I didn't get 55 a year !, wish I did and I wouldn't be livin like I am !, ********s and yes when I work I lose it so yep just government hypocrisy !.

Linda Browne : $1622 pensioner education supplement? since when? 15,120 jobs education child care fee again since when?

Rebecca Jane O'Brien : well i can say from experience that you dont get 15,120 in jet, jet only covers child care how is that an income when it goes straight to the provider????

Kristen Louise A : this is BS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Manda Davison : Not everyone gets every single of them payments.
I do not receive the pharmaceutical allowance, pensioner education supplement, telephone allowance or and the jobs education training child care fee assistance.

Why must they calculate what every payment is equal to if you do not receive them all?

If it's that much of a hassle, why don't the pollies cut their wages back and help support our country instead of sitting in their high class offices, rent free houses and chauffeur driven cars!

Kelly Sneddon : Let's make them switch places. And see the reality. Effin ******s

Joanne Matthews : Hold onto your seats because its gonna get rough...the amount of hate single parents will cop from this is gonna be huge

Von Wilson : What a load of ******** !!!

Suzie Swain : What a joke, and what a big fat lie. I wish I was getting that much.

Catherine Jameson: If you go to this link, you discover that the average hourly 'gap fee' charged by most childcare centres amounts $7.50 per hour. And we know that at the moment the maximum a sinble parent can claim for is 24 hours unless in exceptional circumstances. Calculating $15,120 divided by 52 weeks (no holidays) divided by 24 hours per week gives a gap fee of $12.12 which is being charged by the childcare centre. So this represents a childcare centre charging exorbitant rates of say $104 for an 8-hour day or $131 for a 10-hour day. Over which, of course, the sole parent has no control - but not everyone has their kids in centres like this.

Reposting: More lies from the Government today, circulating a report that Single Parents receive $54,000 a year in total benefits including family tax payments etc. This lie is absolutely unbelievable and wrong by about 25,000! Why on earth would they want people to think that parents doing it tough on their own are rolling in it! As a sole parent who has worked her bloody **** off for the past 15 years to support myself and my child, working, starting a small business and studying and taking care of the house and most importantly, raising a child. Even when I worked almost full time hours whilst studying I am yet to earn more than $35,000 a year to support 2 people. I'm posting this because I'm so sick and tired of people on welfare being painted as the bad guys when top earners probably avoid tax payments of more than this and then pointing the finger back at those trying their best to get ahead. I'm grateful for every bit of support I've received because it's allowed me to be a good Mum and improve my education even though every week is a bit of a bank balancing act, BUT they really need to stop making people think parents are kicking their heels up and laughing at the taxpayers expense!! I'm so angry.

BG, I think it could be a case of the mothers on that forum understating what they receive.

About 3 years ago I received the bank statements of a single mum (or so she claimed she was) tenant with only the one child and her fortnightly Centerlink payment was $1050 pf.

By my calculations that is over 27K pa. Add a few extra K to that for a second child. This mother also received rent assistance of $70 - it was either weekly or fortnightly.

http://somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1166749#post1166749

No doubt there are other concessions and payments these mothers receive yet choose to ignore.

As for the article, it states what they are entitled to and highlights that they get a lot of assistance... up to 55K worth if they want to do some training/work experience/education, to eventually get themselves a job, and get themselves out of the poverty... which not all appear to want to get out of by the sound of the carry on.

So do you NOT consider extra assistance to better themselves and their families a good thing, is it you don't believe they get it (The Australian made it up) or do you think it's harsh so doesn't rate as a benefit?

Hi Beanie Gurl
Wow, comprehensive post. Yes, i would suspect that single mums don't receive all those benefits listed. Single mums I've worked with (some with very young children) have gone back to work with their youngsters in childcare because they don't earn enough to live with centrelink payments and they definitely were not making $55k even working.
Cheers, nat

How come you didn't post this one BG? You read it. It is right before one of the quotes you did post.

Astrid Sweeney: Before my daughter turned 8 I was getting this amount so is is correct. Now things are different. It's closer to 17,000 altogether. When you get a statement it does not include ftb a and b.
12 hours ago ? Like

If they decide not to help themselves then they are at fault not the government who are trying to give them a nudge to help themselves - through a reduction in their Centerlink payments.
I have no probs with folks being given help for trying to better themselves.

If I was the king the doers would always win and be helped more, while the handwringers and "victims" would eat cake...

But I think that when the wage-earners are not earning more than the folks who are not wage earners, then the incentive to get out of bed and go to work will disappear.

To reward folks who choose to have kids and study to the point where they earn more than me (or anyone else) makes me think; "Hell; why should I get grey hair every single day! I've got three kids, I can study as good as anyone else; stuff it - let's close the doors, sorry boys; you're out of a job" and I'll sit at home or on my golf cart.

Last edited:
I suspect the result from the Treasury portfolio will play out very similar to what we've seen in the much smaller Immigration portfolio.

The process is the same....

1. Policy announced
  2. Enormous wailing and moaning from Labor & Greens
  3. Media go nuts...page 1 blazing headlines predicting devastation
  4. Advocates and rights groups protest....fiercely passionate
  5. Media go nuts again...huge expose...how it will affect you
  6. Predictions of doomsday
  7. Horror stories and political jumped up examples tendered
  8. Process on the ground implemented regardless
  9. Advocates and rights groups protest again....big rallies still
  10. Glimmers of on the ground improvement...too early to see a trend
  11. Media only half interested now
  12. Reality starts to take place...stories slip to a small column on page 5
  13. Moaning continues, citing extreme examples as 'the norm'
  14. Details sought to immediately throw back in Govt's face
  15. Advocates and rights groups protest again, less passionate
  16. Only intermediate media interest
  17. Reality setting in...can now see a distinct improvement
  18. Main body of task completed
  19. Media ignores
  20. Problem solved....policy complete and unchanged
  21. Advocates and rights groups silent, other than citing extreme examples

The immigration and border protection portfolio was the first cab off the rank. It has now been an outrageous success in the last 8 months, with the back door closed, all illegal boats stopped, zero deaths at sea and 1 death in detention as opposed to over a 1,000 killed, 9 detention centres closed, between 2.5 and 3.0 Billion in costs saved and upwards of 15,000 genuine refugee placements now able to be offered through Australia's front door.

This time last year in the same 160 day period, Australia suffered 157 illegal boats bringing over 10,500 unknowns costing Billions of dollars we don't have.

Who remembers the "expert" commentary continually predicting it was impossible to stem the flow of illegal boats, and the circumstances in 2014 were totally different from 2007 and simply couldn't be done ?? Yeah, right.

Scott Morrison has gone from being the man everyone loved to hate to the Govt's trump card. All of Labor's and the Green's arguments have been shown to be tissue thin

In the Treasury portfolio, we only started the process 2 weeks ago and because it is much much larger than the immigration portfolio will take years rather than months to work our way down the process.

We're at about step 5 or 6 at the moment.

My suggestion is cheer up and calm down. It will be an outrageous success as well, but the green shoots of success will not be seen for many months yet. In the meantime, you'll be lambasted with negative stories.

Take comfort in the fact you can be guaranteed that at least 45% of the population will never appreciate any improvement in the national economy anyway....and you will hear plenty from all of them in the months and years to come.

Over 90% of the population have made their mind up who they are going to vote for in the next election. As usual, the wavering 10% will decide....

I suspect the result from the Treasury portfolio will play out very similar to what we've seen in the much smaller Immigration portfolio.

The process is the same....

1. Policy announced
  2. Enormous wailing and moaning from Labor & Greens
  3. Media go nuts...page 1 blazing headlines predicting devastation
  4. Advocates and rights groups protest....fiercely passionate
  5. Media go nuts again...huge expose...how it will affect you
  6. Predictions of doomsday
  7. Horror stories and political jumped up examples tendered
  8. Process on the ground implemented regardless
  9. Advocates and rights groups protest again....big rallies still
  10. Glimmers of on the ground improvement...too early to see a trend
  11. Media only half interested now
  12. Reality starts to take place...stories slip to a small column on page 5
  13. Moaning continues, citing extreme examples as 'the norm'
  14. Details sought to immediately throw back in Govt's face
  15. Advocates and rights groups protest again, less passionate
  16. Only intermediate media interest
  17. Reality setting in...can now see a distinct improvement
  18. Main body of task completed
  19. Media ignores
  20. Problem solved....policy complete and unchanged
  21. Advocates and rights groups silent, other than citing extreme examples

The immigration and border protection portfolio was the first cab off the rank. It has now been an outrageous success in the last 8 months, with the back door closed, all illegal boats stopped, zero deaths at sea and 1 death in detention as opposed to over a 1,000 killed, 9 detention centres closed, between 2.5 and 3.0 Billion in costs saved and upwards of 15,000 genuine refugee placements now able to be offered through Australia's front door.

This time last year in the same 160 day period, Australia suffered 157 illegal boats bringing over 10,500 unknowns costing Billions of dollars we don't have.

Who remembers the "expert" commentary continually predicting it was impossible to stem the flow of illegal boats, and the circumstances in 2014 were totally different from 2007 and simply couldn't be done ?? Yeah, right.

Scott Morrison has gone from being the man everyone loved to hate to the Govt's trump card. All of Labor's and the Green's arguments have been shown to be tissue thin

In the Treasury portfolio, we only started the process 2 weeks ago and because it is much much larger than the immigration portfolio will take years rather than months to work our way down the process.

We're at about step 5 or 6 at the moment.

My suggestion is cheer up and calm down. It will be an outrageous success as well, but the green shoots of success will not be seen for many months yet. In the meantime, you'll be lambasted with negative stories.

Take comfort in the fact you can be guaranteed that at least 45% of the population will never appreciate any improvement in the national economy anyway....and you will hear plenty from all of them in the months and years to come.

Over 90% of the population have made their mind up who they are going to vote for in the next election. As usual, the wavering 10% will decide....
LOL! Love it.

Sump it all up in a single phrase; standard procedure.

Back