Ask SS: advice for renovation in brisbane southside

Hi everyone,

I am currently looking at Brisbane southside (Sunnybank hills, Runcorn, Calamvale etc.), would like to purchase a property (as investment) , then renovate with adding an extra room and/or bathroom. So a house with 3/2/2 (3/1/2) to 4/2/2.

I am new to renovation, I would like to know, for example this property: http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-runcorn-119935477

To add an extra bedroom, how do i decide it's possible or not? I guess it will depend on the floor plan and structure of the house? Does a rectangle block of land with a lot of space makes it easier? And if anyone has experience, how much would it approximately cost?

If anyone has this kind of experience please share. Many thanks!

Where ever you plan to extend out from will obviously need to stay within the block set backs. Site coverage can only be a certain percentage also, so double check that if its a small block.

New build is about $1500m2 but im guessing an extension would be a lot more bother because you have to demolish and do small bits and pieces rather than just running a full slab and full services etc... Wouldnt be surprised if you wind up spending over $2000m2.

My diy extension was $1000m2.

Where ever you plan to extend out from will obviously need to stay within the block set backs. Site coverage can only be a certain percentage also, so double check that if its a small block.

New build is about $1500m2 but im guessing an extension would be a lot more bother because you have to demolish and do small bits and pieces rather than just running a full slab and full services etc... Wouldnt be surprised if you wind up spending over $2000m2.

My diy extension was $1000m2.
Tim86, thanks for your info and appreciate it :)

Call a builder and ask for a hypothetical scenario.

I quizzed a builder I do work for about this about 18 months ago.

Similar situation your looking at if I was to assume your looking at knocking out that rear brick wall and building additional bedroom.

He said approx cost would be $40k. So i think Tim86 is pretty spot on at 2k a sq/m. 40k being approx 20 sq/m bedroom

I recently did a 32 sq/m extension to a lounge room in my PPOR and it came to $20k. Which I guess is $625 sq/m but I was in a position to do basically everything that wasn't structural myself.

Pitched roofs which that house has can be more difficult.

Hey mate, your best bet is to call a building certifier who can help you deal with any hidden infrastructure and comply with local overlays/constraints and codes. You have three levels of legislation to deal with --> Local town plan --> Queensland Development Code --> National Construction Code.

This is our certifier - http://www.yellowpages.com.au/qld/s...-certifications-pty-ltd-14214455-listing.html

Have a talk to him and he would be able to recommend a local builder for you. In terms of construction, you want to think about the roofline. As far as I can see the only way you can go is south. You could do a master bedroom off of the lounge area with a separate ensuite. This will cost you around 50-60k though for a turn key addition.

In all honesty though, you want to think about the rental return and your objectives. In my experience, it is always cheaper to add tenancies rather than bedrooms. Add a bedroom/bathroom for $60k and $40p/w rent or spend $130k for a 2 bedroom self-contained granny flat for $280+p/w rent.

Back