Asked Siri "Why are firetrucks red?"

It gives credit to Monty Pythonesque principals of etymology. It may be Pythonesque but it is actually older than Monty Python.

It truly is an oldie but a goodie.

Good answer;)

Just a tad off the subject but still related to colour, why do fast food always paint their premises red and yellow?? Anyone know

Good answer;)

Just a tad off the subject but still related to colour, why do fast food always paint their premises red and yellow?? Anyone know

This is something I looked in to not long ago - colours and the emotional response behind them.

From 99Designs:

Warm colors

Red, orange and yellow are next to each other on the wheel and are all warm colors. Warm colors often evoke feelings of happiness, optimism and energy. However, yellow and orange can also slightly irritate the eyes and red can increase a person?s appetite.

Think about fast food restaurants like McDonald?s or KFC ? most of these places incorporate the color yellow and red. Why? Because they want people to get hungry and then eat quickly.

This is something I looked in to not long ago - colours and the emotional response behind them.

From 99Designs:

Warm colors

Red, orange and yellow are next to each other on the wheel and are all warm colors. Warm colors often evoke feelings of happiness, optimism and energy. However, yellow and orange can also slightly irritate the eyes and red can increase a person?s appetite.

Think about fast food restaurants like McDonald?s or KFC ? most of these places incorporate the color yellow and red. Why? Because they want people to get hungry and then eat quickly.

Yet at the same time colors on the other side (green/blue) suppress appetite.

I remember this from my days studying marketing.

It gives credit to Monty Pythonesque principals of etymology. It may be Pythonesque but it is actually older than Monty Python.

It truly is an oldie but a goodie.

i_asked_siri_why_fire_trucks_are_red_i_had_no_idea/

According to Reddit, Wolfram deserves the credit

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=why+are+fire+trucks+red

So they could gain a foothold in communist countries easier using similar colours.

Last edited:
Yet at the same time colors on the other side (green/blue) suppress appetite.

I remember this from my days studying marketing.

Just had a light globe moment, if green/blue suppress appetite then that's it, we need to flood the country with these colours. We get rid of the use of yellow and red, reduce obesity, no need for radical diets etc. all out the door:p

d12d929956f20aa1a0a49b4cfc3c123e.jpg

To attract losers?

Ha ha

Back