Asset Protection Advice

What do you think, when you both started at the bottom, male works hard, earns job promotions earning good money and has 2 ips almost payed off in a 5 year period, female has been at uni and working 2 part time jobs has no assets minimal savings due to uni ect but has completed her courses successfully after the 5 years.

Been together 6 years. male has assets female hasn't... this gets awkward doesn't it???

What do you think, when you both started at the bottom, male works hard, earns job promotions earning good money and has 2 ips almost payed off in a 5 year period, female has been at uni and working 2 part time jobs has no assets minimal savings due to uni ect but has completed her courses successfully after the 5 years.

Been together 6 years. male has assets female hasn't... this gets awkward doesn't it???

Well yes and no. The older you get the more assets you have and from this perspective it does not get any less "awkward".

However, I would think that a good relationship should not be at all concerned about equitable possession of assets. Otherwise, Mr. Gates and Mr. Buffet would never be able to find partners.

In fact, if the relationship is any good, you should be willing to divest all your assets into your partners name.

I look at Mr. Bond, the entrepeneur, who left gaol totally possession free and officially bankrupt but rides in a limo owned by his wife and lives in a mansion owned by his wife. Now thats a strong relationship.

Income, money and assets aren't the only contributions to a relationship. It's a problem only if the people involved think it is.

On the other hand, being wealthy contributes to a person's qualities as a partner, and if the richer partner doesn't care about the financially poorer partner's financial contribution, they can be choosier on other characteristics.

And then, wonder of wonders, there is always love.

My husband and I have been together for around 12 years. For the majority of our relationship I have earnt more than him. If we were to split I don't believe I am owed more than a 50% share of our assets as I've been the higher financial contributor to the relationship as there's more to a relationship than money.

He's been a valued contributor when it comes to opening jars, reaching stuff on the top shelf and cutting skirting at what I perceive to be complex angles that I just cannot compute and continually stuff up.

But seriously though, we each have our failings and strengths and fortunately they compliment each other most of the time. So where one lacks the other makes up for it which is part of the relationship as a whole.

It's not just about the money when it comes to a relationship.

It's not just about the money when it comes to a relationship.

Yes everyone seems to be forgetting this fact. Funnily enough, the laws take into account financial and non-financial contributions equally. It must seem shockingly unfair if you forget the other half.

Only if the male thinks that their joint life choices mean that she's entitled to less than 50% of their assets. Though why any woman would want to be with a man who thinks that a relationship isn't a "joint venture", I have no idea.

Back