Assistance with first IP loan structure?

G'day,

Firstly must say extremely glad I stumbled across this site, forum discussions are extremely helpful - it's a steep learning curve!

That said, I was after some guidance on structuring loans for first IP, and advice on whether to following make sense:

- current PPOR value $550K, outstanding loan $320K, with $40K sitting in redraw facility
- I would like to retain $40K redraw as 'accessable savings', rather than using for deposit, so intend on transferring across in full to mortgage offset account, thus increasing outstanding loan to $360K
- intend on releasing equity in PPOR by setting up an LOC (interest only loan, 80% LVR to avoid LMI) with full offset account, which should give me around $80K to help with deposit for IP. This will be taken out through my current lender as establishing it will be a relatively straight forward process, and also so that I can use my current mortgage offset account as the LOC offset account as well (simpler, less accounts to manage)
- balance of IP purchase is to be funded through a 3rd interest only loan either through my current lender, or someone else, depending on best offer available. The size of this loan will be anywhere from 80% to 95% of the purchase price, depending on how much deposit I choose to place with LOC, and possibly subject to LMI. If taken out through my current lender, I want to ensure not the cross collateralise (for security resons only), but either way, I am assuming this 3rd loan will require yet another offset facility through which to manage loan reayments?

I am clear on the fact that the LOC account should only be used for investment property related expediture only (for tax deduction reasons), and that repayments should be made through an offset account. However, how many offset accounts are required across the 3 loans? Surely 1 offset linked to all 3 laons would be the simplest / easiest to manage, used to recieve salaries and rental payments, and from which to make monthly reayments on all loans.

Any advice, tips (or criticism!) would be greatly appreciated

Many thanks

Y7

Hiya

In general looks fine

Couple of things

Id place all income into the Offset linked to the large PPOR loan

Id use a LOC or a term loan with redraw on the PPOR for the separate loan. No need for an offset account.

The separate loan for the IP would not need an offset either at this point

ta
rolf

Great, sounds even more straight forward than I thought.. and seems I may have learned some things along the way!

So just to clarify,

Loan 1 - (PPOR mortgage) with offset account for salary / rent to be paid into (offset account also services LOC repayments);
Loan 2 - LOC or term loan with redraw facility only, for IP deposit and funding general IP expenses;
Loan 3 - interest only loan for balance of IP purchase, does not require any redraw facility or offset account (repayments also serviced by offset account linked to Loan 1);

Thanks
Y7

That looks good. You want all your income to offset your "bad debt" (non deductible).

You can service your other loans from this. Your tax accountant will love you since this keeps "investment" expenses separate from other expenses.

Back