At what point do tenant requests become too much?

HI guys,
I guess this follows a little from Ray's thread about Life as a Tenant, but I'll ask for input anyway.
We have a corporate lease on our latest IP, with a family occupying at the moment. I checked their references with their last PM, who is very professional, and she said, wouldn't hesitate to rent to them but that the tenant is quite demanding with wanting things done.
We went ahead....

Interior of house was repainted and fully recarpeted
New reverse cycle installed
Kitchen cupboards repainted
New light fittings to living areas
Electrical switchboard upgraded and RCD installed
This was all done before they moved in, not as a result of their requests.

They have been there since early December and this is the list of requests so far:
Change the locks to screen doors and garage (done)
At initial property inspection, tenant asked if we could spray the house as she had already found 2 cockroaches. Entire exterior of house was sprayed including outbuildings and ceiling cavity, wall cavities (where accessible) and underfloor area fogged also

Have asked if we can drop a tree in the back yard (looks like it might be dead and they are worried about it falling on their child - legitimate request I think - this has not been done yet as it requires more equipment

Tenant visited my husband's office yesterday and said that the gas stove is (cant remember exact description) playing up. The stove has been checked twice already with no problem showing. The tenant had previously told me that the stove had "exploded" on her (I did ask if the kitchen was on fire if that was the case ;)
Also saying that their TV reception is not good enough - despite there being a new aerial there. My hubby is going to check this.

My question is, how much is enough???

I have been spoiled until now with terrific and easygoing tenants I guess. I really want to make sure that they are happy and looking after the house but I am not willing to be fixing something every week.

Looking forward to feedback.
Alanna

Alanna said:
HI guys,
I guess this follows a little from Ray's thread about Life as a Tenant, but I'll ask for input anyway.
We have a corporate lease on our latest IP, with a family occupying at the moment. I checked their references with their last PM, who is very professional, and she said, wouldn't hesitate to rent to them but that the tenant is quite demanding with wanting things done.
We went ahead....

Interior of house was repainted and fully recarpeted
New reverse cycle installed
Kitchen cupboards repainted
New light fittings to living areas
Electrical switchboard upgraded and RCD installed
This was all done before they moved in, not as a result of their requests.

They have been there since early December and this is the list of requests so far:
Change the locks to screen doors and garage (done)
At initial property inspection, tenant asked if we could spray the house as she had already found 2 cockroaches. Entire exterior of house was sprayed including outbuildings and ceiling cavity, wall cavities (where accessible) and underfloor area fogged also

Have asked if we can drop a tree in the back yard (looks like it might be dead and they are worried about it falling on their child - legitimate request I think - this has not been done yet as it requires more equipment

Tenant visited my husband's office yesterday and said that the gas stove is (cant remember exact description) playing up. The stove has been checked twice already with no problem showing. The tenant had previously told me that the stove had "exploded" on her (I did ask if the kitchen was on fire if that was the case ;)
Also saying that their TV reception is not good enough - despite there being a new aerial there. My hubby is going to check this.

My question is, how much is enough???

I have been spoiled until now with terrific and easygoing tenants I guess. I really want to make sure that they are happy and looking after the house but I am not willing to be fixing something every week.

Looking forward to feedback.
Alanna
Most tenants are easygoing, but every so often you get one that thinks that because they are paying you rent, you should be at their beck & call for every minor thing they want & that you have a bottomless pit of money to be spent for their enjoyment.

Whenever I get one of the 'ongoing request' type tenants I am non-yeilding. I will fix something that is broken, do an initial pest spray, and attend to anything that I think should be done, but that is all. Sometimes you just have to say no (repeatedly). If it is additional amenities that they want, I might do it for an increase in the rent, or tell them that they can do it at their own expense if they want (so long as it is done by a tradesman).

In the case of your stove where you have had someone look at it twice I would tell them that yes, I am willing to send someone out to look at it, but if there is nothing wrong they are responsible for the costs. You might just find the reason they want it looked at is so they can get a new stove.

They sound like complete pains.

I would be looking forward to the end of the lease. No more Mr nice guy.

:)

skater said:
Whenever I get one of the 'ongoing request' type tenants I am non-yeilding.

I agree with skater.

Thanks Skater
I read your similar replies in the other thread.
I think that there are a couple of issues with the stove - tenant not used to gas (oven also) and I really think she has too much time on her hands!!

I think that we will have to deal with the stove again as there is a possibility that it could be a safety issue. But I think this is going to be the last time!!!!

More advice anyone????

I have a tenant that would fall into the ongoing request category as well.

She can be a right pain in the arse and the PM and I both roll our eyes and choose to ignore some of what she asks for, but her employer pays the (above-market) rent on-time everytime (she is a bank manager), and she keeps the house (an up-market near new executive rental) spotless.

She has a "wish list" of things she wants done and as a matter of course I throw her a bone every 3 months or so.

It's improving the value and rentability of my investment, after all. :cool:

Mark

At what point does it become too much you ask ??

Um, about 2 years ago for us.

The only true answer to completely avoid the situation you describe is to simply not have any tenants like that.

Invest in something else that doesn't have tenants at all, or tenants that don't or can't whinge.

Job sorted.

Alanna
Maybe next time you or your hubby are at the property ask to turn on the tv to check reception.If its ok tell them if they want to improve it they can pay.If its not ok maybe the antenna has just moved a bit and just needs adjusting.
After you sprayed for the pests l think its then up to the tenant to maintain from then on.
The tree, well l think thats a legite request and would be in your best interest as well to deal with it.
Times like these you really do realise and apreciate good tennants.
good luck
yadreamin

Have one of these as well. Pleased I am down to one, I had two!!! The trees are the problem. I have had 3 very large trees taken out so far at considerable expense, tenant has now come up with 2 more she wants taken out. The attraction of the house was that it is on a treed block!! but if I say no and they fall then I am in trouble.

Other tenant complained constantly about the toilet. I kept having to send plumbers, it turned out she was removing the top of the cistern and turning the water off, thought she was saving water, then putting top of the cistern back incorrectly and stopping the cistern from working. Of course each time a plumber went, checked the cistern, put the top back correctly the problem would go away. Property Manager had a new cistern put in that was sealed and that stopped the problem. Annoying though.

We lease our properties (apartments) furnished and usually for a short term (2 weeks to 4 months). Now and then we have tenants with unreasonable requests. Over time, we worked out some ways to deal with it. Here is the list:

1. When a tenant calls with a complaint, always talk in a professional manner - show them as much respect as possible trying to asses the legitimacy of the request.

2. If it is a minor expense - just do it, even if it is unreasonable. Unsatisfied customer can cause more troubles later on.

3. Show some action in the right direction and inform the tenant (ie we placed a service call with an antennae company who put it in the queue )

4. If the expense is large and the demand is unreasonable, say NO, explain why, and offer organising the service at their expense.

Hope it helps,
Lotana

chrispy Other tenant complained constantly about the toilet. I kept having to send plumbers said:
Hi Chrispy
Just wondering if you charged the tenant the expense of the plumber since it was her fault?

Thanks guys,
Plumber went to house yesterday to look at stove and there was a nut coming loose in it which he said could have caused gas to come out irregularly.
We checked out the TV but have since found out that the tenant already had a TV guy out and he told her that there is really not a lot that can be done, it is a notoriously bad area for TV reception. After they found this out, they came to us and asked us to fix the reception - knowing that it really cant be done without considerable expense - like a dish and set top box (we happened to call the same TV guy)
While my husband was there, tenant started complaining about black ants!!!
His reply was pretty much, bad luck, spraying already done, not my problem sorry.
THanks chrispy and yadreamin we will be taking the tree out, its just not worth the risk

Thanks for feedback guys
Alanna

Digital boxes may improve the reception at less thn $100- it might be worth trying I have one which improved the reception dramatically in my bad reception area.

personally, at less than $100 for a settop box the tenant can pay for it!
i've been lucky and only had one whinging tenant but once i found out she had a cat (supposed to be no pets) and i choose to ignore it, she stopped requesting ...

lizzie said:
(supposed to be no pets) ...

In Victoria, the tenants may still have a pet despite a "no pets" clause.

The case is particularly grey if the pet was obtained AFTER the lease was signed (had no pets at time of signing, but a dog appeared mysteriously the day after and decided to make itself at home in your IP).

The Tenancy Union believes that a tenant can not be evicted unless it can be shown that the pet is causing damage or is being a nuisance / danger to neighbours.

See:
http://www.tuv.org.au/AL-petsV11.pdf

Body Corporate rules for apartments may be able to override and overrule, however, I have seen dogs on their way for a walk (with their owners of course!) in the lift of one of the CBD apartments we had.... :eek:... hope he wasn't going for a swim in the pool........

Cheers,

The Y-man

The tree is too great a risk to ignore so must be done immediately.
The TV reception is the same as when they moved in so you have done all you are obliged to do. Let the tenant play with new technology at their own expense and risk, so you're not everafter responsible for it's performance.
Skater is right about creating some $$downside disincentive for them in calling tradesmen at the drop of a hat. A letter stating your policy on who pays for tradesmen's callout fee would establish the line in the sand. If there's nothing wrong, they pay for it. Makes you appreciate the role played by PM's with big demanding rent rolls to look after every day. They learn to say no very early.
good luck
cheers
crest133

Yep, fair enough for a tenant to expect what was there when they moved in is maintained (eg if the electronic garage door opener breaks you get it fixed).

On the other hand upgrades are at your discretion. (eg they ask for a garage door opener to be installed). Weigh up whether or not it will add value to the property. If you go ahead you can ask that they pay a proportion of costs or a rental hike - you can even give them the choice of one or the other so they feel they are getting a good deal. They agreed to $250 p/w for a property with certain features... if they get more 'stuff' they pay more rent.

I am sure you keep receipts;
quote the last date pest spraying was done
quote the last date the aerial was upgraded

Spraying at your expense for two roaches. They should let off a supermarket roach bomb (and take the garbage out of the kitchen morning and night, and keep the plugs in the sinks to prevent the roaches climbing up).

Tenant visited my husband's office yesterday

'scuse me? All requests to please be submitted in writing. That will slow them down a bit, most people too lazy to write a letter. Do you self manage? I wouldn't like tenants showing up at my place of work. One of the benefits of a PM (property manager) is that you retain privacy. And the pm can say "I asked the landlord and they said maybe after the lease is renewed".

Back