Auburn vs Liverpool

Hi All,

So I've tentatively narrowed down my search to two Sydney Suburbs I think offer the characteristics I need for that next investment.

As a bit of background I'm looking somewhere in the competitive $350-400K range with a focus on strong yielding (6%+) properties but which also have good fundamentals in the area for long term capital growth (CG).

So I'd really love to get the opinion from buyers agents and investors on these two suburbs. Have you bought there? Considered it? Any thoughts at all gratefully received.

Personally I was initially leaning towards Auburn with its strong geographical fundamentals, possibililty to get 7-8% gross yields when buying apartments and of course the considerable disparity in the prices of both houses and apartments compared to neighbouring suburbs i.e. Lidcombe. Therefor potentially bringing the ripple effect into play.

My reservations however are:

1.) Is the area over saturated in apartments? Are there more still going up?
2.) Does the predominantly Muslim demographic and Sharia law prohibiting the taking out of interest accruing loans significantly affect CG?
3.) Does the above consequently artificially inflate rent returns?
4.) Is all the negative sentiment albeit anecdotal (Somersoft contributions included) really justify not investing in the area or is it largely a case of xenophobia? (For the record I'm of Anglo background and hold all my current investments in largely Anglo areas so stepping into the unknown somewhat)
5.) Is the crime level really that bad compared to anywhere else out west?

For Liverpool, I have similar reservations to above although the negative comments towards it here on SS at least don't seem quite so abundant. It also doesn't offer quite as strong rent returns or the proximity to both the main Sydney CBD and 2nd CBD (Parramatta) that Auburn does.

Anyway would love everyones thoughts on the above, or if you feel somewhere completely different offers better prospects given my goals.

Also please feel free to rip my views to shred, im still very much learning :)

Prices for auburn have gone up lately.

I like the area, but I was looking for a house, and it was out of my price range

Hi All,

So I've tentatively narrowed down my search to two Sydney Suburbs I think offer the characteristics I need for that next investment.

As a bit of background I'm looking somewhere in the competitive $350-400K range with a focus on strong yielding (6%+) properties but which also have good fundamentals in the area for long term capital growth (CG).

So I'd really love to get the opinion from buyers agents and investors on these two suburbs. Have you bought there? Considered it? Any thoughts at all gratefully received.

Personally I was initially leaning towards Auburn with its strong geographical fundamentals, possibililty to get 7-8% gross yields when buying apartments and of course the considerable disparity in the prices of both houses and apartments compared to neighbouring suburbs i.e. Lidcombe. Therefor potentially bringing the ripple effect into play.

My reservations however are:

1.) Is the area over saturated in apartments? Are there more still going up?
2.) Does the predominantly Muslim demographic and Sharia law prohibiting the taking out of interest accruing loans significantly affect CG?
3.) Does the above consequently artificially inflate rent returns?
4.) Is all the negative sentiment albeit anecdotal (Somersoft contributions included) really justify not investing in the area or is it largely a case of xenophobia? (For the record I'm of Anglo background and hold all my current investments in largely Anglo areas so stepping into the unknown somewhat)
5.) Is the crime level really that bad compared to anywhere else out west?

For Liverpool, I have similar reservations to above although the negative comments towards it here on SS at least don't seem quite so abundant. It also doesn't offer quite as strong rent returns or the proximity to both the main Sydney CBD and 2nd CBD (Parramatta) that Auburn does.

Anyway would love everyones thoughts on the above, or if you feel somewhere completely different offers better prospects given my goals.

Also please feel free to rip my views to shred, im still very much learning :)

I think a lot of Sydney will see an increase in apartments in coming years... medium density infill is going to be more of a focus. Auburn is not especially overbuilt. It does have a good amount of 4 and 5 storey medium density but it's not as intense as the eastern suburbs, for example. But yes, it is one of the most densely built suburbs in the west.

The muslim/sharia issue around interest is easily overcome... its all about the "wording" of the loan contracts... this provider has the market cornered...http://www.mcca.com.au/homepage.html

PS - Auburn is closer to Parramatta than Liverpool is :)

This is new to me. Does anyone know how much influence this has?

Last edited:
The answer is simple , just use yor noodle LOL,

Remember the golden rule of where to buy, viz, Position Position Position

Auburn wins hands down

The answer is simple , just use yor noodle LOL,

Remember the golden rule of where to buy, viz, Position Position Position

Auburn wins hands down

Thanks although I always felt the old "location, location, location" adage is a bit too subjective for my liking. I'm sure many would not consider Auburn a superior location.

That aside I would love to know why you feel Auburn wins hands down? I'm really trying to understand why it has under performed relative to its immediate neighbours for such a long time, and whether to see this as an opportunity going forward or a risk.

When making a comparison between the two, Auburn is the clear winner due to the proximity to the city. Yes it can be a challenging area, but in this case we are comparing Auburn with Liverpool, not Auburn and Parramatta, to take an example of a suburb in close proximity to Auburn.

I read in the paper last weekend that according to the last census, Auburn had over 300 homes where multiple families were residing. The reported made the assumption that it's due to affordability but I think it's the culture. That said, the rental yields are pretty good as there are more income generators (not necessarily earners) in the household to contribute to the rent.

As with any other investment property, ensure you have landlord insurance so any issues should be resolved at low cost. And have an agent familiar with the locals be responsible for it.

I think when you are buying into an area that has a particular demographic living there, there will generally be a strong demand as new Australians will want to live with/near their relatives. I read a while back about the matriarch of a Lebanese family trying to buy up an entire street in Auburn for her family.

Noodle, look at where Auburn is located, its close to Parramatta, its closer to the city. Its a more expensive area, you wont find any houses under $400K in Auburn, but there are in Liverpool.

If Auburn has underperformed its neighbours, I dont think it will be for long. It may be due to crime, but remember Cabramatta was a suburb underperforming due to crime, look at it now. The long arm of the law catches up with crims.

It comes down to what your budget and strategies are. The good thing about Liverpool is the larger sized blocks and the lower entry price. The zoning in the area is also quite good which makes way for multi titled developments. Auburn is a good place for the use of GF's.

Back