Auction Clearance Rates Soaring

Hard to argue that this is not a new trend forming. The first time could have been a one-off, but now we have the auction clearance rate well above 70% once again in Sydney.

National clearance rates were generally down around 40-50% last year, but now they are on a steady uptrend.

70%+ clearance rates is a very bullish sign for Sydney.

(Of course, the gloomers will just say this is a dead-cat bounce. Sure, Sydney is clearly having a dead cat bounce half a decade after the last boom ended... :rolleyes: )

http://www.homepriceguide.com.au/auction_results/

http://www.theage.com.au/national/firsthome-buyers-revitalise-the-market-20090215-886h.html?page=-1

First-home buyers revitalise the market
Tim Colebatch
February 16, 2009
AUCTION clearance rates have rebounded in Melbourne, Sydney and Canberra, confirming signs that the Federal Government's short-term lift in the first-home buyer's grant has kicked the sector back into life.

A week after the Bureau of Statistics reported that loans to first-home buyers surged in December, auction clearance rates on the first weekend of the 2009 season were 70 to 75 per cent in all three cities, up from barely 50 per cent late last year.

Industry sources say the rebound is due to falling interest rates and the Government's decision to treble temporarily the first-home buyer's grant for new housing, and double it for existing homes.

The bureau's figures showed almost 40 per cent of all people taking out loans to buy a home in December were first-home buyers. Stockland managing director Matthew Quinn said last week 65 per cent of Stockland customers were now first-home buyers.

In the United States, housing demand and prices have gone into freefall, pitching the country into recession. The Federal Government is keen to make sure it does not happen here.

Ironically, the scheme's success will put the Government under pressure to extend it after June 30, when it is scheduled to cut out. A decision is likely to be made in the May budget.

Deputy Prime Minister Julia Gillard said yesterday the Government would decide what to do about paid maternity leave in the same budget, and would also "have more to say about supporting people who are looking for work".

The US Congress on Saturday finally passed a modified version of President Obama's $A1.2 trillion stimulus package, including cuts in social security taxes and a rise in the level of unemployment benefits.

The Australian Council of Social Service and Family First senator Steve Fielding have criticised the Federal Government for failing to lift the unemployment benefit from $225 a week, among the lowest in the Western world. In other news:

¦Eurostat reported that Europe's economic growth crashed in the December quarter, with output slumping by 1.5 per cent from September in the 27-member European Union, the world's biggest market. The US has reported a 1 per cent fall. Australia's figure will be released on March 3.

¦Finance Minister Lindsay Tanner has ruled out tax rises to pay for the Government's $42 billion stimulus, and ridiculed Opposition attacks on the rise in debt to pay for it.

"The debt level involved here is the same as applied under Howard in 2002 … as a proportion of the total economy," Mr Tanner said. "For the previous 20 years, the debt level was higher for 17 of those 20 years. The world didn't come to an end."

Net debt, he said, would be "around 5 per cent of the total economy. That's like a person on $100,000 a year borrowing $5000."

KEY POINTS
¦Clearance rates surge in Melbourne, Sydney and Canberra.

¦Rebound due to low interest rates, first-home buyer's grant.

¦Grant's temporary increase may be extended in May budget.

Cheers,

Shadow

Last edited:
Meooowwrrrrrr!!! Just kidding! :D You are spot on!

I agree....a lot of the great unwashed from yester-year are saying that the current 70% clearance rates are not sustainable.

Me thinks it is here to stay...at least in the low end. Why....try building the homes in places like Blacktown and Penrith for the say price? The land is worth at least 250k and a basic fully completed house will cost about 180k. That is 430K......you can still find houses in these suburbs for 250-280k!...how many people can afford that??

Time will tell......

Of course, the gloomers will just say this is a dead-cat bounce. Sure, Sydney is clearly having a dead cat bounce half a decade after the last boom ended...

Hard to argue that this is not a new trend forming. The first time could have been a one-off, but now we have the auction clearance rate well above 70% once again in Sydney. Clearance rates were generally down around 40-50% last year, but now they are on a steady uptrend. 70%+ clearance rates is a very bullish sign.

(of course the gloomers will just say this is a dead-cat bounce, suckers rally etc... )

Or they can change tack and focus on unaffordable $10M+ properties .:D

Me thinks it is here to stay...at least in the low end. Why....try building the homes in places like Blacktown and Penrith for the say price? The land is worth at least 250k and a basic fully completed house will cost about 180k. That is 430K......you can still find houses in these suburbs for 250-280k!.
Yes but not as many as there used to be last October, even the sub $200K units are now almost gone. Looks like Sydney did hit the bottom last October after all.

Just My 2 cebts worth:

http://www.news.com.au/business/money/story/0,28323,25060007-5013951,00.html

"Investment properties are making a comeback:"
"A RISE in the number of investment properties whose rental returns exceed the cost of the mortgage will trigger a recovery in the housing market."

Doubt there will be much contribution to it from this forum though.

http://www.news.com.au/business/money/story/0,28323,25060683-14327,00.html

"Homes most affordable in five years."

"Households would need an income around $70,000 to buy a modest home, the report said."

"Previously, a household would have to be earning in the order of $85,000 to afford a modestly priced home without going into severe mortgage stress,'' Mr Lamont said.

"The improvement in housing affordability means those on a more modest income can now contemplate a home of their own.''

I translate to those who did not get it - two incomes of $35,000 make $70,000.

Although - does it matter? This forum concerned about how to keep D&G merchants happy. Who cares about the truth?

That's just the end of denial.
Stubborn vendors are starting to accept buyers' prices.

Hahaha! That's funny. It must be the plummeting interest rates forcing the vendors hands.

I can just see them... 'Gee, I've held out all though 2008, but now I'd better sell at any price before interest rates fall again!' :rolleyes:

Very low volume in Sydney and Melbourne. The next few weeks will be key.
When we see some decent volume it will be confirmation.

Funny but The Australian has Sydneys clearance rate at 66% last weekend.

Hard to argue that this is not a new trend forming. The first time could have been a one-off, but now we have the auction clearance rate well above 70% once again in Sydney.

National clearance rates were generally down around 40-50% last year, but now they are on a steady uptrend.

70%+ clearance rates is a very bullish sign for Sydney.

(Of course, the gloomers will just say this is a dead-cat bounce. Sure, Sydney is clearly having a dead cat bounce half a decade after the last boom ended... :rolleyes: )

http://www.homepriceguide.com.au/auction_results/

http://www.theage.com.au/national/firsthome-buyers-revitalise-the-market-20090215-886h.html?page=-1

Cheers,

Shadow

Hahaha! That's funny. It must be the plummeting interest rates forcing the vendors hands.

I can just see them... 'Gee, I've held out all though 2008, but now I'd better sell at any price before interest rates fall again!' :rolleyes:

I like your signature, Shadow. :)

I have found in Melbourne anyway that
the agents are not reporting all actions
so a lot not sold and not reported are bringing the
%sold higher than it really is.

i wonder how long you'll be able to hold out if you've fixed at 9% in the first half of 2008 :rolleyes:

I guess if you've fixed then you've fixed at a rate you can afford. Otherwise why fix?

Anyway, fortunately the vast majority of aussies are on variable. There wouldn't be too many people fixed at 9%.

Back