Auction observations 13 Sept

Went to the auction of a derelict house on 405m2 today (minimum block size). Expensive neighbourhood, across the road from a park, walking distance to public transit. Demolition Control Zone.

House was unliveable and only fit to be pulled down (severe termite damage etc etc). It will be necessary to maintain the frontage (including some nice leadlight front windows) due to DCP restrictions.

Council unimproved valuation $405k.

Houses in the area in reasonable condition sell for between $620k and $950k depending on size, attributes etc.

Big big crowd - 60+ people. At least 10 registered bidders. About 6 active bidders.

House sold for $470k at auction. I dunno but I just couldnt see the value in it - the margins seem razor thin.

assuming the house is pulled down, the buyer bought for 65k for the opportunity to make say $ 600 m2 if they build a 200m2 building on this then sold it would be $120,000 min and to have one of very few new homes in the area perhaps throw in another, 100k, then it would be sold next year say, well who's to say, their not making land any more?and perhaps there is other infrastructure in the area in the change, good buying if you ask me!

If it is in a demolition control zone, it cannot be pulled down. Of course, you could just demolish it anyway, but the council may decide not to pass your building plans as a payback.

Just clicked the link. So glad you posted. I saw this house in (I think) the local paper during the week. I would have loved to have attended the auction but my son had a soccer game. I live nearby, and this area is pretty sought after, and expensive.

I don't know about anybody else, but seeing the photos of it really gets my "renovating juices" flowing. I would love to get stuck into it. In fact, we have done similar houses (though nothing with so much paint off). The last place we did up was worse internally than this one. This has great "bones".

Were there any toffy "churchie" types, you know with twin sets and pearls, at the auction :).

No infrastructure change in the area - I know it well. But it is currently well serviced.

My understanding with DCP is that you must maintain the frontage. You will have to effectively demolish it - its structurally unsound. I could push my hand through the wall without too much effort if I was so minded.

I don't know about anybody else, but seeing the photos of it really gets my "renovating juices" flowing. I would love to get stuck into it. In fact, we have done similar houses (though nothing with so much paint off). The last place we did up was worse internally than this one. This has great "bones".

Thanks for the link, boomtown.

Agree completely, wylie, it does have 'great bones'! We looked at a similar house in Coorparoo (off Lancaster St) a couple of years ago, but decided that it was a bit too much of a 'challenge'. But it does make me feel keen to get moving with the reno on our poor old Queenslander - which, unfortunately, doesn't have the beautiful pressed metal ceilings that that East Brisbane house had!

Given that you know the area so well, wylie, what did you think of the sale price?

Cheers
LynnH

Wylie

How much do you think it would cost you to reno that place? Im new to the refurb game so I have no clue.

I must admit the basement beams looked big and solid but there was so much termite damage in the upstairs panelling I couldnt imagine how they would be sound. But they were a different type of wood - seemed like some sort of hardwood I dunno. Reality is that Im ignorant :D

As far as the auction attendees go at the end there were 2 serious bidders. An older bloke in a polo shirt who looked like a typical investor who would get builders in.

It was won by a bloke in his mid 30s, well muscled, relaying the bidding to his significant other or a business partner on a mobile. He would be capable of doing alot of the work himself if he was so minded.

No Churchie mothers in pearls around - I dont think it was quite their cup of tea.

Last edited:
I actually don't know the prices for the area, except that they are high, and people will pay a premium because of the proximity to churchie.

You say you could put your hand through the wall and that the "panelling" has termite damage. Do you mean the VJ? If so, then as long as the damage wasn't too bad, it is relatively easy to just replace the VJ boards that are affected. At least the little blighters cannot hide"behind" VJ because it is a single skin so any damage is easily seen.

If I was looking at a renovation, I can see maybe $2K or so to replace the steps (guessing here, going on what we paid recently to replace stairs) but that is purely cosmetic.

I would rip up the carpets, and have the floors polished (allow about $3K depending on whether any boards need replacing).

I would paint the inside myself (I have had plenty of practice :D). Cost of paint maybe $600 to $1K.

Kitchen floor looks like it dips badly towards the outside wall, but I think that could be the photo. If not, then re-stumping would have to be allowed and cost would depend very much on how many stumps need replacing.

Last place we did (also an old queenslander) had this same kitchen and we painted it and replaced the benchtop (with laminate flooring - looked great until we replace the kitchen). Not ideal, but if the budget didn't allow a few thousand for a new kitchen, it would look heaps better with some paint and new handles. A freestanding stainless stove lifted our kitchen and brought it into the 21st Century.

Last bathroom we did cost us probably $1K for bath, toilet, basin, mixer, glass screen. Plumbing not included in that price. We did it ourselves except the plumbing, so the cost was low.

If I was looking at having to replace more than a third of the stumps, I would consider lifting the house to give future potential to build into the lower area. Then the stairs would have to be done, and the back stairs too. This would mean new plumbing and electrics, but by the looks of the house, these would need replacing anyway.

I would guesstimate $10K to $15K to pay a painter for the external painting, but hard to see just how big the place is. It doesn't look that big, but what is saved on the sanding costs, would probably be spent on primer because those boards would suck the first coat up like a sponge :eek:.

So, depending on how much termite damage, it could be fixed up ready to rent for not a lot of money because these old "ladies" just need a new lick of paint to look fabulous. Queenslanders are tough old biddies, very hard to do much damage to them.

I know this is going to sound silly, but part of the appeal of that place is that it looks derelict. It would not be nearly as appealing painted. It is like finding a gem in an antique shop.

Yes the VJs were damaged. The place isnt that big.

You have given me a new appreciation for Queenslanders Wylie. Thank you for that :)

I don't know Brisbane all that well, but looking at it's location on the map, it looks to be a walking distance to the city, and as you say, across from park, expensive area etc.
Blocks like this will always be like gold. For someone who is cashed up, this could be a great buy and rebuild/reno prospect.
Land is super hard to come by this close in.

This place would come up an absolute treat. I can just envisage it painted cream and biscuit. Termite damage is scary, but they only eat soft wood and will eat out skirting boards, up the architrave and around the door and down the other side, and leave the frame alone. Unfortunately I suppose you cant go pulling off plywood to have a look behind. Whats the worst you have done out of sight of an agent to find out condition. I have pulled up carpet and put back, very tame I would imagine

I don't know Brisbane all that well, but looking at it's location on the map, it looks to be a walking distance to the city, and as you say, across from park, expensive area etc.
Blocks like this will always be like gold. For someone who is cashed up, this could be a great buy and rebuild/reno prospect.
Land is super hard to come by this close in.

u4m, walking to the city from there would take about an hour. But there's no convenient pedestrian bridge. You'd either have to go via the Story bridge round the valley way, or over the footbridge connecting Southbank to QUT at Gardens Point.

Driving to the city from there takes less than 10 minutes over the expressway in normal traffic.

Great area, nice quiet street.

Auctions in Canberra did very well yesterday. New suburb records set in a few areas (both high and middle/low income), haven't seen final rate, but from paper reports of what actually sold, looks a lot higher than the past few months.

Lots of interest around, more attendance at exhibitions yesterday than I've seen in a while, including some FHB's. Might have just been the extremely nice weather though, from overall sentiment though - sounds to be improving.

Suppose I'll throw my 2c in...

Attended an auction this arvo for this little bungalow on approx 735 sqm in an up and coming area about 6-7kms from Adelaide's CDB...Edwardstown.

About 50 attended altho only a handful of registered bidders.

Everyone very hesitant to bid...went for $350k in the end to what looked like some serial reno/builder types.

The market has definitely swung here quite substantially. I'm pretty in touch with the prices in this area and know this place would have gone high 3s to low 4s only 6 months ago...

R:)

The market has definitely swung here quite substantially. I'm pretty in touch with the prices in this area and know this place would have gone high 3s to low 4s only 6 months ago...

R:)

auction clearance rate in adelaide was only 26% on the weekend - very low

Back