Australia day

What's everyone up to today?. I'm off to a street BBQ. A friend of mine blocks the street and all the neighbour's from around come for a feed and the kids play street cricket.

Mine's gotten off to a bad start. English-born PM who reinstated ancient chivalric orders last year, today bestows them on a man born in Greece and a man born in Scotland.

Straya!

Sitting on the beautiful big patio enjoying cool breeze and morning sunshine. So quiet. Wondering whether I really want to move into the house I'll be buying or just stay right where I am.
Time for a cuppa :)

Mine's gotten off to a bad start. English-born PM who reinstated ancient chivalric orders last year, today bestows them on a man born in Greece and a man born in Scotland.

Straya!

I don't mind where they're born. I'm not one for the chivalric orders, but at least Angus is an Australian, no matter where he was born- and one who has managed to serve governments on both sides of the fence.

Phil the Greek however is totally undeserving of Australian honours.

I don't mind where they're born. I'm not one for the chivalric orders, but at least Angus is an Australian, no matter where he was born- and one who has managed to serve governments on both sides of the fence.

Phil the Greek however is totally undeserving of Australian honours.
Agreed. I like Angus and am not suggesting he's undeserving, just that the combination of a British-born PM bestowing awards on two people with strong past/present British ties just encapsulates everything that I abhor about the PM's regressive view of what Australia should be.

When do we revert to being a British colony, again? *rolleyes*

If we did not allow anyone born outside Australia to get an Award...there would be very few entitled!!!! This is a country of immigrants!!!

The Governor of SA is conducting the Citizen Ceremony is SA...he was a refugee from Vietnam. I think its fantastic!!!!

Chris

Possibly taking public transport to city to watch fireworks.
My suburb is holding fireworks also. One of my dogs is going to freak so it's a bit of a worry. I think I'll have to lock him inside with TV or radio loud, may be worth sedating him. Will play him a few firework video's today to get him used to it.

Had a swim in the "murky River Gwydir" this arvo after a great free BBQ lunch at the Sportsmans Pub, Bingara, NSW.
Wasnt murky either, was beautiful and clear as they are dropping a bit out of Copeton Dam for the irrigators downstream around Moree.

Lots of caravans moved onto the river banks in Bingara last few days as the Tamworth Country Music Festival winds up and they all head out to continue their journeys.

Fascinating chatting with a few of the nomads. What a life!

Wont be long now !:)

Sitting on the beautiful big patio enjoying cool breeze and morning sunshine. So quiet. Wondering whether I really want to move into the house I'll be buying or just stay right where I am.
Time for a cuppa :)

Sounds perfect! What are you buying? (If you don't mind telling).

Had plans of a picnic and bbq at the beach.
Instead got drought (well very very hot sunshine) first thing this morning, thought great, wander down to the beach (150m away). By the time we got there it was bucketing down.
Got ready and went to the local airport to get hubby (had worked in Sydney this last week) - went to garage with small child in arms - found a snake under car - put child back in house and dealt with snake (usually would shift them into the rainforest - but with small child around that thing was goneski)

Then drove through flash flood waters on the way (whoops - and thank goodness for driving the landcruiser - it was on the running boards), have never seen it flood there before (usually great drainage) but the quantity of water in a short time put it under. Thank fully the 2wd right behind me was close enough to sit in my wake (this was a fairly major road - usually would be blocked off quickly if it was under or you'd have seen someone else sitting in it/before it - but that's the other end where it does flood). Called SES and stopped anyone else going through until SES arrived.

Finally got to hubby - his flight had arrived early (despite flooding rains and thunderstorm - huh).

Picnic cancelled but we jacketed up and hiked the beach anyways.

Overall a nice day.

Back