Australia Post may do Centrelink's job?

Hi willair,
I agree it would make it easy to control,it will be interesting if/when it does happen.
IE:I can just imagine going down to AP to post something and the banter going on lol.
Cheers Spades.

I was working in DEETYA when they told us that they would be providing a single shop front to social welfare recipients getting money from DSS and employment program recipients getting money from us (the old CES). Their working title was the Shop Front Agency. I suggested to them that perhaps that wasn't the best title as it would be giving a jobseeker SFA.

Whatever the reason Centrelink became the name of the new agency.

Australia Post needs to concentrate on doing its own job first, sick of getting carded all the time when someone is at home. Lazy posties.

Australia Post needs to concentrate on doing its own job first, sick of getting carded all the time when someone is at home. Lazy posties.

This was my first though. Let them figure out how to get mail and parcels to their intended destination first. Then they can worry about taking on more work.

+1.

I was lucky enough this past Friday to having spent 35 minutes in an Australian Post queue (walked in at 10am) and then an additional 25 minutes for the person serving me to work out the process of allowing me to pick the currency that I had pre ordered and paid for.

Once the manager sorted out what their procedure was, I had to endure another 2-3 minutes of the girl whining that she missed her morning tea before handing the money over.

Our local post office is smaller than Centrelink anyway. A post office incorporating a Centrelink office would be very severely cramped.

To move a Centrelink office in, even if the post office was bigger, would severely cut the post office revenue- they presumably earn a good amount from all of the items they have available for sale.

if all aust post has to do is to match their phone/waiting time from 5 mins to 45 mins, then that wont be too hard to do

Same here. Walk out to the mailbox and theres a parcel card in there.

Or they put it right at the gate ( a bar gate ) and they must put their handthrough the bars, pat my dog and say " good boy, dont touch".
Then when hes left my dog puts his head through the bars, grabs the parcel ad rips it into a million bits :rolleyes:

I just dont get it.

Like most departments almost anything that can be done via a Centerlink office can now be done online or on the phone, so no real need for so many Centerlink offices.

Reducing Centerlink offices to just a few (or closing them down and using Australia Post) would force people to send off forms, or speak to someone by phone or use the internet.

Our local post office is smaller than Centrelink anyway. A post office incorporating a Centrelink office would be very severely cramped.

I can't speak for other areas but for every one Centerlink office around here there are probably about 20 post offices.

So if there is a line up of 40 people in the Centerlink office there would be roughly 2 people waiting per post office.

I reckon it's unlikely that it would be cramped and there would possibly be less of a wait if anything - for the Centerlink person at least.

The reality could be different however, who knows.

Last edited:
It's bad enough having to go into a post office and queue up behind old f@rts who are electronically illiterate, and/or are Luddites, who are there to pay their gas bill, and who simply must tell the cashier their entire life and medical history with each visit.

We'll have to also add the freaks and ferals and skanks on welfare to the queues.....

The joint will smell of urine, selsun blue, smokes, marijuana and grog....not to mention the totally enthralling conversations and arguments about lost or missed payments in the line/at the counter, ahead of you.

Thank god I hardly ever have to go near the AP.

What about if I owned an Auspost business?? Why would I waste time processing Centrelink stuff which generates no profit?

If Australia Post does Centrelink work, AP will get paid of course. They get paid for whatever transaction they do.

If anyone owns Australia Post, get license to sell cigarettes, get a fridge with cokes and stuff and sell all sorts of rubbish for $5 with 80% margins! Can make good money!

If Australia Post does Centrelink work, AP will get paid of course. They get paid for whatever transaction they do.

If anyone owns Australia Post, get license to sell cigarettes, get a fridge with cokes and stuff and sell all sorts of rubbish for $5 with 80% margins! Can make good money!

I know a couple that bought a AP business somewhere out whoop whoop where most people are unemployed and I've heard things are real slow for them.

This could be the thing that turns their business around.

A great idea introducing other lines.

BV, AP customers will just have to learn to do their business before midday if they don't like the smell of urine, selsun blue, smokes, marijuana and grog :D.

Last edited:
Re AUSPOST

Is AusPost boss? $4.8 million salary pushing the envelope?

Despite working for a public utility, Fahour was paid an unprecedented $4.8 million in 2013, including a whopping $1.9 million base salary and more than $2 million in incentive pay.

To fully understand the enormity of Fahour?s remuneration, it needs to be compared with other well-paid bosses. Fahour?s payout would have placed him among the top 40 executives in the country ? that?s comparing against every single listed public company (not merely government enterprises). For example, Fahour was paid more than the bosses of Woolworths, Woodside Petroleum, Village Roadshow, Seven, Fairfax, Tabcorp, Seek, Super Retail Group, David Jones and JB Hi-Fi received last year. And don?t forget, those executives run highly profitable, publicly listed companies and have to answer to shareholders. Fahour is in charge of a largely protected monopoly and is paid by taxpayers.

Fahour?s remuneration is even more remarkable when compared to his international peers. The US Postmaster General (who runs an organisation many times larger than AusPost) received US$384,229 in 2012 (a figure that was criticised by US law-markers for being too high). That means Fahour is paid more than 10 times what his US counterpart is paid. Moya Greene, the head of Royal Mail in the UK, was paid 1.47 million pounds. Greene, who was roundly criticised for being overpaid, received around half of what Fahour was paid. Canada Post boss Deepak Chopra was paid a base salary of only CA$497,100 with the possibility of a 33% bonus.

Fahour?s salary isn?t merely high, it?s completely off the scale.

Much of the network is operated by private individuals acting as licensees, agents or franchisees.

It's bad enough having to go into a post office and queue up behind old f@rts who are electronically illiterate, and/or are Luddites, who are there to pay their gas bill, and who simply must tell the cashier their entire life and medical history with each visit.

We'll have to also add the freaks and ferals and skanks on welfare to the queues.....

The joint will smell of urine, selsun blue, smokes, marijuana and grog....not to mention the totally enthralling conversations and arguments about lost or missed payments in the line/at the counter, ahead of you.

Thank god I hardly ever have to go near the AP.

I am with you on this one, I thought the most ridiculous thing I have heard, it could not possibly work.

They should be separate entities, there is also the worry that someone may try to steal my stamps. :p Its already been knocked on the head anyway, they saw the light

Back