Australian Taxation Reporter - anyone know about them?

Hi all,
I got a sales/ marketing phone call from the Australian taxation reporter - they are a subscription service.
http://www.taxreporter.com.au/
The idea is you subscribe for $539 a year, and you get bimonthly newsletters with tax updates and tips on things like tax on paid parental leave, GST, property-related tax etc, and can ask them tax questions. Their sales spiel is that with the information they give you, you will save much more than the subscription fee. And they say, you will be better informed so can bring up deductions etc that your accountant might not have thought of.

just curious, anyone tried their services, know anything about them? are their property tax tips any good? or just a rehash of stuff thats commonly known?

Thanks

As an accountant, I used to receive copies of this publication.

The publication itself is quite well written, however as a professional I was already receiving the same information / updates / rulings etc for free from the ATO and other organisations / subscriptions.

I wouldn't recommended it to my clients because even though it is written in plain English, without at least some formal back ground in taxation law they wouldn't get full use out of it.

If your accountant is any good you shouldn't need to remind them of possible deductions (most of the time) - they should be asking the questions.

We have subscribed to this for our business. While it is well written, most of the info does not relate to our business, and even less would relate to an property investor. I agree with what has been said - if you have a good accountant they will be abreast of current info.

I was subscribed several years ago for two years and as the others have said,they are very well written and easy to read.

I would read through a few of them as they arrived,however after a while at the end ,they remained unopened.

I would spot stuff that would apply and important to me and I used that information to reduce my tax,I was doing most of the accountants work myself at that time.

But after I found a good accountant I didn't need them any more.:rolleyes:

Australian Taxation Reporter

Hi, I recently received a call from this company and then another one demanding money. They said they had sent me a report and that there had been an invoice enclosed for $539.00 if the report was not returned within 21 days. If I had received it, I certainly would have returned it. We have an excellent Accountant who has access to all information available from the Taxation Department.

As I did not receive the information, nor an invoice - it wasn't returned. I have now received a letter of demand requesting payment of the $539.00.

Is this a scam?

Hi, I recently received a call from this company and then another one demanding money. They said they had sent me a report and that there had been an invoice enclosed for $539.00 if the report was not returned within 21 days. If I had received it, I certainly would have returned it. We have an excellent Accountant who has access to all information available from the Taxation Department.

As I did not receive the information, nor an invoice - it wasn't returned. I have now received a letter of demand requesting payment of the $539.00.

Is this a scam?

I had a similar experience. They got very pushy, so i told them where they could put there magazine.;)

Not a scam, but very hard sell once they send you a free 'sample' copy.

I wouldnt recomend it to anyone. It is all stuff your accountant should know and $550 should buy you two hours of your accountants time which would definately be money better spent.

I had a similar experience. They got very pushy, so i told them where they could put there magazine.;)

Not a scam, but very hard sell once they send you a free 'sample' copy.

I wouldnt recomend it to anyone. It is all stuff your accountant should know and $550 should buy you two hours of your accountants time which would definately be money better spent.

Thanks for your reply. They were quite aggressive and have now sent a letter of demand with the threat of legal action. I am not paying the account though as this is dirty business and I did not receive the report. I have no way to prove that I did not receive it but they also have none that I did. I will let you know what happens. Thank you.

Thanks for your reply. They were quite aggressive and have now sent a letter of demand with the threat of legal action. I am not paying the account though as this is dirty business and I did not receive the report. I have no way to prove that I did not receive it but they also have none that I did. I will let you know what happens. Thank you.
Did you request the information? Did you indicate in any way that you wanted the information? Or was it totally unsolicited?

You cant send a sample for approval then slip an invoice inside and insist its a subscription without facing a allegation of deceptive and misleading conduct. Its a sample which is sent for approval ? They haven't given you a subscription. Just a sample. Are they suggesting you subscribed without paying...Cool I might take it too. And an invoice you can choose to pay or not pay. Not paid = no subscription. No contract ?

Australian Consumer Law deals with all this. Part 2 and 3 (Vol 3) of the Act contains the laws. These laws are intended to oblige suppliers (businesses) to deal with public and other businesses in certain ways or penalties can be imposed where they harm consumers or small business or breach laws. This booklet from ACCC summarises how businesses should comply. It will explain the issues around misleading and deceptive conduct. unconscionable conduct, false and misleading, unsolicited items, harassment etc. The ACCC have powers to impose orders and fines and prohibit behaviours. Liability can also be personal for an employee !!

Tell them that they are being referred to the ACCC then lodge a complaint with ACCC together with detailed description of the practices and a copy of the invoice. (You may find the letter is no more than a fake demand anyway ie ABC Legal Pty Ltd - not a law firm anyway)

Paul

Wouldn't that be wonderful if it was legal. Just send an email with some generic tax advice along with an invoice. Here is the tax advice you never asked for but hope you appreciate the efforts in putting it together. Please find enclosed an invoice for $2,200 including GST

What a terrible way to run a business.

Paul

Wouldn't that be wonderful if it was legal. Just send an email with some generic tax advice along with an invoice. Here is the tax advice you never asked for but hope you appreciate the efforts in putting it together. Please find enclosed an invoice for $2,200 including GST

What a terrible way to run a business.

Some companies offer "Trademarked" Trust advice which isn't greatly different. Meet, discuss and listen to waffle. Get a huge fee for a trust that doesn't do jack (except irate the ATO). Unfront and ongoing fee stream. $2200 per annum.

Which is the better operator ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: NPB
Back