Australians are now the biggest borrowers in the world

Australia is one of the largest exporters of foodstuffs. We will be feeding the world for a long time to come.
bye

And there is potential for improvement as well.
We're already competing with the French on wines and it won't be long before we are exporting Oz olive oil to Spain...:D

One word, food.

Australia is one of the largest exporters of foodstuffs. We will be feeding the world for a long time to come.

this is a good point and i believe its an important part of the economy, however, i don't know how much scope for growth there is in that sector. The food/farming industries are already up and running, in addition to the resources sector. If one of them leaves the party, can the other one pick up the slack?

It could be the case that efficiencies can be realized and we can produce more than we already do, but it would have to be a lot more imo.

The energy generation could be a good one. Seems like its still a question of the energy to the markets that need it, but hopefully something will be figured out by then.

thank you all for the food for thought

if we experience a crash of that magnitude banks won't sell the properties as that would actually realise the loss, like what is happening in the US. It's a pretty big IF as well ;).

Very big IF because our prices are nowhere near those of US, UK etc.

For example, in London and New york you pay $16K per sq meter for an apartment in the cbd, $7k/sq m in Sydney, $4k in Wellington NZ etc

Here is the source of the info.
http://www.globalpropertyguide.com/most-expensive-cities

BV thats prime inner city living stats, we need stats to show the COMPLETE picture.

This doesn't surprise me at all, mums and dads with average incomes who are overly conscious about their social status, who try to show their 'wealth' by purchasing depreciating non-value-producing assets, seem to be the norm these days.

Ofcourse, this is all fueled by debt.

Good luck to them.

When the resources run out, we have nothing. No manufacturing, nothing.

We are doomed.

PS: on the becoming smarter idea, seen an interesting piece on the U.S.A, as manufacturing moves to Asia, the people who used to do those jobs ie: those who are not capable of higher learning (not because of money either), have nothing, it is creating a massive under class.

Also on the FIRE (Finance, Insurance, Real Estate) sector, they do not actually produce anything, it is all paper shuffling, yet they account for 28% of the U.S work force and if they were not bailed out could you imagine the trouble the world would be in.

Maybe people should start reading this:
http://www.debtdeflation.com/blogs/

oh no!!!!

how about this - ride the wave while you can and then invest elsewhere....?

talk about a victim mentality....do you even belong on a property forum? or are you a renter? did you too sell your sydney apartment....?

When the resources run out, we have nothing. No manufacturing, nothing.

We are doomed.

PS: on the becoming smarter idea, seen an interesting piece on the U.S.A, as manufacturing moves to Asia, the people who used to do those jobs ie: those who are not capable of higher learning (not because of money either), have nothing, it is creating a massive under class.

Also on the FIRE (Finance, Insurance, Real Estate) sector, they do not actually produce anything, it is all paper shuffling, yet they account for 28% of the U.S work force and if they were not bailed out could you imagine the trouble the world would be in.

Maybe people should start reading this:
http://www.debtdeflation.com/blogs/

when I was young and broke I recall how good a scholarship would have been

the "underclass" in america are the new slaves - the working poor - pay as much tax as they earn and live on credit.

america never abolished slavery - just the definition changed. the IRS can't even produce - to a court of law, no less - the legislation that requires individuals to pay tax - yet they tax people forcibly by accessing their bank accounts.

yes a full scale invasion vs just shipping a few containers of junk... the later seems easier. It's the space and 'free' resources such as water that are more the appeal.

the sale price of the resources should reflect a cost of securing them. an invasion (if only partly) this century is not unimaginable

Why go to war?
sooner or later they'll have control of the companies mining the resources
and the profits will be going to China

That may well be China's strategy for now but what about Indonesia? They only have about 250km to travel, with roughly the same population density as China (circa 100/km2 vs our 2.6/km2) - with 730,000 soldiers between regulars and reservists compared with our 50,000 or so it looks a little dicey...

Not that I think it'll happen anytime soon. Just that a situation could develop in the medium term where we need to be more reliant on ourselves and we are currently ill equipped to gear up for it, particularly with the ever rising value of the resources we have in the ground...

but the Indo army use second hand Chinese and Japanese utilities which are second hand Russian and American utilities......

to be completely unfair - they can't even sew a seam straight on my Bintang T Shirt - imagine the shooting.

1 "aim the cannon there"
2 "where?"
1 "there. now i'm going to lunch."
2 "okay".
3 "what did he say? where are we aiming?"
2 "somewhere over there"
3 "over where?"
2 "i dunno - i'm going to lunch - just fire it where you want".

Why go to war?
sooner or later they'll have control of the companies mining the resources
and the profits will be going to China
Maybe Team Rudd better start acting on what's hapening in the real world
instead of just talking his way around the world on tax payers money,
noone ever complains about the swiss-german-english-us based companies
that have major silent control over several big Australian Miners ,Telcos,ect
Noone can stop China they contol over 75% of the bonds markets in the
US....

Last edited:
Noone can stop China they contol over 75% of the bonds markets in the
US....

Willair

Good point, I agree, sooner or later they'll be dictating their terms to the US and to everyone else.
(I heard that they caused a lot of trouble in Copenhagen).

I was watching a program on Foxtel yesterday called IOUSA and I think the US now have a 13 trillion $ debt?
How can they have a foreign policy and be a super power when they are almost bankrupt?
Surely China will be puling the strings soon if they are not doing it already.

I am not worried about the multinationals having silent control of our resources but China is not a democratic country and who knows what will happen if their leader gets funny ideas of expansion in his head :eek:

Reactions: BV
Wonder, would the Lib/nats have any better response to 'World Crisis' Possibly not, but its great to find someone to blame

Good fortune for us the response that was advocated by the coalition wasnot implemented. Opposing most of the stimulus package and placing a million dollar cap on bank gaurantees could have been catastrophic

How would your investments be coping with 9-10 % unemployment rates and flight of billions in capitol to overseas banks

what channel please? will they repeat it? maybe ican download it

Google is your friend

http://showtime.com.au/showcase/movie/83503

Synopsis
This detailed documentary explores how the USA is burdened with an ever-expanding government and military, increased international competition, massively over-extended entitlement programs and debts to foreign countries that are impossible to honour. America must end its spendthrift ways or face an economic disaster of epic proportions.

Back