Australia's 10 best paid jobs

How many surgeons does it take to earn a billion dollars? A bit more than 3,000 according to latest tax figures.

http://www.theage.com.au/data-point/road-to-riches-paved-with-good-incisions-20130503-2iyi0.html

top_jobs3-200x0.jpg

Crazy how stupid money in the mines is compared to this list. According to that list my dad with his 4th grade education currently makes between the 4th and 5th best paying jobs in Australia.

I have a ex-military mate that is becoming a surgeon now, not for the money because he been making 200k a year in Dubai but because its his dream. He studies full time now and goes to Dubai for his breaks to earn so he doesn't have to work part-time while he is studying.

I thought doctors earned 7 figures? None of those top jobs are near it.

Also I dont see "boring rent collector" on there?

It looks like it's based on tax return information. Which means it skews towards employees and self-employed. People who run businesses through companies, for example, would likely be excluded.

I have the upmost respect for nurses and cannot believe how underpaid their profession really is.

When I broke my arm I was having a chat at 2am with a nurse, some weeks he wouldn't get paid, others overpaid then underpaid. Nurses get treated like **** by patients and the pay office. That nurse is now working on a mine site after our conversation.

I thought doctors earned 7 figures? None of those top jobs are near it.

Also I dont see "boring rent collector" on there?

I've no doubt that many surgeons do earn 7 figures, but they're also generally treated as self employed and thus have a lot of expenses. Their average profit is probably in line with the survey.

The highest PAYG payslip I've seen was from a radiologist earning $500k per annum. He worked a 40 hour week, often 2 days a week from home.

Most boring rent collectors don't earn very much at all from it, they're called property managers and make about $40-$60k. The property investors usually aren't in a job, rather an investment. On average they make a lot less (if you don't count capital gains).

How about Australia's lowest paying jobs?

Um, seamstress, childcare worker, teachers aide, disability carer, school cleaner, veterinary assistant ..........

I'm dreaming but I'd love to see a second set of data added to each of these occupation/income figures for net worth.

If I recall, in the US at least, teachers were a the top of the pile in terms of net worth as a proportion of annual income and some of the highest earning professions were near the bottom.

Most boring rent collectors don't earn very much at all from it, they're called property managers and make about $40-$60k. The property investors usually aren't in a job, rather an investment. On average they make a lot less (if you don't count capital gains).

I was referring to Dazz's tag line :)

When I broke my arm I was having a chat at 2am with a nurse, some weeks he wouldn't get paid, others overpaid then underpaid. Nurses get treated like **** by patients and the pay office. That nurse is now working on a mine site after our conversation.

Yep and the last thing we need is a shortage of nurses.

I really don't get the obsession with treating nurses like little fragile children that we have to fawn over. They are working a job, just like anyone else, and get paid decent overtime for their trouble. That's it.

I really don't get the obsession with treating nurses like little fragile children that we have to fawn over. They are working a job, just like anyone else, and get paid decent overtime for their trouble. That's it.

It will interesting to get your opinion after you s**t yourself a few time while being nursed.

or someone you care about does.

Back