BA Brisbane - off to a poor start?

Reason behind the BA was I can't easily get to Brisbane, 2 kids aged 3 and 1, and dad in high pressure job. Parents live on a stupid island (Stradbroke) so I can't exactly drop the kids off for baby sitting and go looking around Brisbane easily.

If I could find a builder or even someone with building experience, or investing experience - who lives in Brisbane - to go out and look at places for me and take the pics the agents don't post online, I'd be happy paying for that. This is what I thought a BA would do.

I'm not interested in someone just going for one week on my behalf, as I'd feel pressured to buy and who knows if the right property doesn't come along the week after I sign a contract cause I've only got a week to buy something.

Yes I did DD on this agent, cane highly recommended here. Anyway he's referred me to someone else, I'll keep looking myself for now. For me a BA is necessary as I can't get to Brisbane easily, airfares and accom alone will cost $2000-3000 as I have to bring the kids, so essentially I'd only be paying $7000K for a BA.

I personally do my own DD, organise a return air ticket, accommodation, car hire, fuel, food, drink etc and fly over usually for 7-10 days to make inspections and offers. Basically, I can do all of this for under $1800 which isnt really coming out of my pocket as its paid via equity from my LOC funds (OPM).

In that time I get out & about in my chosen areas identified by my previous Macro DD. Then inspect everything that meets my purchasing criteria at the Micro DD level.

If I see a property that exceptional I will put in an offer there and then, otherwise I will bring all my micro & inspection notes back to Perth, then over the next weeks pick the best of the crop and make an offer remotely from here.

The offer/contract process I conduct by phone, fax, email & registered express post. Once an offer is accepted a signed contract copy is forwarded to my mortgage broker to get the loans process under way. We have a number of brokers we use. Last purchase we used our broker here in Perth but on other occasions we have used our Brisbane based broker. Geographically it doesn't matter where your broker is based. I have no loyalty to any one lender - preferring to spread lenders.

I also immediately forward a copy of the signed contract to our Solicitor to start their side of the conveyancing process. We always use a Solicitor / Conveyancer that is located locally the state the property purchase is in because they are familiar with the settlement process system for that locality.

I then organise the relevent contractors / agencies required in relation to fulfilling our contract conditions / requirements , such as independent valuers, building inspections, pest inspections etc etc. Once these requirements have been met satisfactory to myself I then notify my solicitor of such and the solicitor liases with my mortgage broker to take the contract through to settlement.

Over the years we have found the whole process to run fairly smoothly. With each subsequent purchase you learn from the previous ones so you can fine tune the way you do things along the way. This kind of stuff you dont learn from text books. Its hands on practical experience where the nuts & bolts learning is really acquired.

The biggest obstacle that needs to be conquered is your own thinking. Basically its having the courage to over come the fear of stepping out of your comfort zone to do things that are all new and foreign to you. Are you doing things right, what do you need to do next and the fear of losing are all thoughts you will have to move through to succeed.

At the end of the day once you have moved through these barriers that stop the majority of people you will think to yourself that it wasnt as bad as you thought it was going to be. Chances are you will be revved up wanting to do it all again - I know I was.

As per my signature - You dont have to get it right you just have to get it going!

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Do you know what you want to buy? I've been researching Bris for my sister. I can't believe how many properties are available!!

I have sent you a few PM's which I am not sure you have received...
My offer is still there to look at a property for you if it's in my area. I'm not expecting to be paid . I just love real estate :D

What about flying over with your children for a week or so but staying in a serviced apartment in the city or close by and having your parents stay with you to babysit. A holiday of sorts for them, away from Straddie ;)

If you think you can do better than a BA, fly up and out offer them!

Though what's your plan when your financier's valuer comes back saying the property you offered 415k on, they value at 387k?

How many trips to Bris do you want to make before getting it right?

BTW, I don't use BA's, and prefer to buy new supply, rather than compete with oo's for existing stock. It's a mug's game after all.

On .... well it seems the best place to buy is in Newman, great mining town, lots of activity, 3 bedroom house on 200sqm of subdividable land, going to ask Westminster to design something for me that will hold 20 people. Cost $900,000 rental return once Westminster helps me build a box big enough to fit 20 sweaty hairy workers in should be 100 gazillion a week.

I'm gonna be rich! Planning retirement right now!

Not saying. I gave a strong offer, it's worth it to me.

On .... well it seems the best place to buy is in Newman, great mining town, lots of activity, 3 bedroom house on 200sqm of subdividable land, going to ask Westminster to design something for me that will hold 20 people. Cost $900,000 rental return once Westminster helps me build a box big enough to fit 20 sweaty hairy workers in should be 100 gazillion a week.

I'm gonna be rich! Planning retirement right now!

Not saying. I gave a strong offer, it's worth it to me.

I can't tell sarcasm from real :)
Did you offer on Newman or somewhere else? I'm dying of curiousity - what else can I do on a 38 degree stinking hot day when my own house hunting sux

I'm having a joke. No way would I buy in Newman. I offered in Perth, but not going to say where because i just don't want any flack.

i feel really REALLY good about it though, and my arms tingled with the feeling I associate with something being a good buy. Just put it this way, I am not as inexperienced as some would think, I saw it online at 4.45pm today, called the agent, made her go back to show me the house and made an offer, then went home and told hubby.

I'm having a joke. No way would I buy in Newman. I offered in Perth, but not going to say where because i just don't want any flack.

i feel really REALLY good about it though, and my arms tingled with the feeling I associate with something being a good buy. Just put it this way, I am not as inexperienced as some would think, I saw it online at 4.45pm today, called the agent, made her go back to show me the house and made an offer, then went home and told hubby.

I thought you bought this until I read, "her". http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-wa-bassendean-116272259

Allen Buyers agent

If its Andrew Allen you are on about, I just bought through them and I have had the best experience ever. No issues on returning calls or answering emails, properties shown were excellent and everything was smooth sailing.

Regards

Yes it is Andrew, we spoke and he referred me to someone else, looks like he is very busy and it's good he didn't take us on just for the $ as many would have.

Back