Back beat, the word was on the street. That the fire in your heart is out.

Over the past three years, I have purchased five investment properties and while I've made some mistakes along the way(especially with one of my Rockhampton properties), all in all it has been a very positive experience for me.
Nevertheless, I have just lost a lot of interest in investment properties recently. I used to spend at least three hours a night reading up on property or researching, now I'm lucky if it's two hours a week.
I have made some life changes recently, moving in with my girlfriend and starting a new job, so I hope that my interest has just gone on the backburner for a little while and will resurge in time.

Has anyone else gone through a period like that?
I don't want to sound too alarmed, but it was just something that I really used to enjoy and currently I have little interest. As I've decided on property as my investment vehicle of choice, it would be a lot easier if I loved it while doing it.

You'll burn out at anything if you do it too much.
The interest will come back after a little while when you're ready to step up to the next level.
It's probably a good thing to step away for a little while anyway.
Property investing is very limited and there's so many other things to do and learn about.

I can't comment on your situation, but when I read through old posts from the past 10+ years on SS there's many people with 1000+ posts who I haven't recognised. I can only assume they've either reached a level they're comfortable with for the time being, or for good, or they've taken a break from active investing.

I've found what you've described normal for me. There will be periods when I spend 10+ hours a week reading books, Somersoft, browsing re.com, tinkering with financial spreadsheets, and periods where I will hardly do anything investment related for months at a time. Just go through phases depending on what else is happening in life.

As long as you keep things tracking along in the background and make some positive decisions over the long term I think you'll still be in a pretty good position, it's not always necessary to be obsessed all the time to achieve good results.

I've found what you've described normal for me. There will be periods when I spend 10+ hours a week reading books, Somersoft, browsing re.com, tinkering with financial spreadsheets, and periods where I will hardly do anything investment related for months at a time. Just go through phases depending on what else is happening in life.

As long as you keep things tracking along in the background and make some positive decisions over the long term I think you'll still be in a pretty good position, it's not always necessary to be obsessed all the time to achieve good results.

I find this thread very interesting, because I feel the total opposite, it would not be normal for me to have a break I live and breath property on a daily basis, and keep jumping into the next deal and keep powering ahead, its a lovely obsession for me.

Over the past three years, I have purchased five investment properties and while I've made some mistakes along the way(especially with one of my Rockhampton properties), all in all it has been a very positive experience for me.
Nevertheless, I have just lost a lot of interest in investment properties recently. I used to spend at least three hours a night reading up on property or researching, now I'm lucky if it's two hours a week.
I have made some life changes recently, moving in with my girlfriend and starting a new job, so I hope that my interest has just gone on the backburner for a little while and will resurge in time.

I don't want to sound too alarmed, but it was just something that I really used to enjoy and currently I have little interest. As I've decided on property as my investment vehicle of choice, it would be a lot easier if I loved it while doing it.
I've found that my passion is dictated by my useable equity/servicability.

None right now, hence I have no clues about any markets really, and can't be bothered looking at anything other than similar houses to my PPoR for interest sake..

Some folk don't worry about that and find "creative" ways to keep on buying.

No time or inclination to play that end of the risk profile.

I've been very hot and cold over the years. When I wasn't in a position to buy anything and when my first child arrived I barely looked at somersoft let alone posted. APIs sat unopened and monthly real estate letters just filed away.

You'll get back into it once life settles down. With property investing being a long term investment and a bit of set and forget it will have its ebbs and flows. I think I took a year away from here then one day I came back and slowly I had more time and interest for property again.

By now, you should have some how, realized what you gotta do. ;)

What's your destination. You've bought 5 so far so how many are you buying. Where are you on the map? If you're not sure maybe that's the issue.

Alternatively get pre-approval for finanace and I'm sure your interest will come back.

By now, you should have some how, realized what you gotta do. ;)

But the "heart is strong and the mind is weak":)....

Seriously, there is no right or wrong, unless you have the desire and the passion no point to this exercise, forcing the issue will almost certainly end up in failure, go with the flow.

If it is not working for you now, so what??? Its not a race... don't beat yourself up, no biggie, when the timing is right it will happen and it will work because you have the desire.

Most important factor is to be happy today, nothing else really matters when you look at the big picture

I am preaching again:) This is what I tell my daughters, because they don't need the stress and neither do I:)

MTR

Snap out of it!

Spludgey, snap out of it, you've gone all soft. I'll send someone round to btich slap you across the room, lol.

You've obviously made some money (as most property investor's have) and now things are easy and there has been a few life style changes as you mentioned.

Who are you trying to kid about putting property investment on the backburner? It will end up like some half finished car rebuild project rusting away in a backyard.

Every time you look at it you'll dream of how great it could have turned out.

My advice is to sort the issues out that put you in this position in the first place and then go speak to a broker. Good luck.

Last edited:
I know exactly what you mean spludgey.

My suggestion is when the passion recedes with one aspect of your life, seek another passion that you can get fired up about and ride that pony for a while.....you never know where it will take you.

I know exactly what you mean spludgey.

My suggestion is when the passion recedes with one aspect of your life, seek another passion that you can get fired up about and ride that pony for a while.....you never know where it will take you.

Absolutely:) just find another passion and work it.... meaning to life, " be happy today" :)

Last edited:

I would say 'don't force it'. Take a break for awhile and enjoy the new challenges of a job and living with your GF.
Did you have some targets like 'xx IPs in xx years' or was your goal more nebular?
If your goal is nebular then it may be hard to get back on track so thing hard about what you want property to do, do some goal setting and then see how that fits with your current life.

your brain is telling you to take a break, although its probably not the time to take a break as now as stuff is going on.

Back