background check on prospective tenants

Has anyone used a private detective to check out prospective tenants? I know the PM checks bank accounts, drivers licence etc but I was thinking a PI could do a more thorough background check.

:eek:..... sounds like a bit of overkill.

We self-manage and have only just started having a property manager find us tenants. I was surprised at just how much they delve into the personal details but hiring a private detective just sounds OTT.

Is this a serious question? :p How much does a PI cost? I have been self-managing for a while, and have only just done a check on a tenant on National Tenancy Database for the first time. I used www.landlordschoice.com.au to advertise my property on re.com.au and domain.com.au, and they did the database check as part of the service. I would think this check would be sufficient, hadn't even thought of using a private investigator!

Why bother? As long as they are gainfully employed (which you or your PM checked), have a good rental history (that you or your PM checked) and good personal references what could you possibly find out from a PI that would influence your decision in renting to them?

Why pay - when you can get free?

If you need the database search - let me know.

I will need the following details:

Full Name
DOB
Dirvers license or passport number
If you have address and phone - these are only optional.

www.propertymanagementhq.com.au

I am a bit nervous as I haven't rented out a place before so I may be overthinking things.

I have heard that rental histories can be fudged by the previous estate agents so they can get rid of nightmare tenants. I thought possibly a PI could check criminal history and maybe a driveby on the current address to see whether they are actually a good tenant or not.

:eek:..... sounds like a bit of overkill.

We self-manage and have only just started having a property manager find us tenants. I was surprised at just how much they delve into the personal details but hiring a private detective just sounds OTT.

Hi wylie

Do you mean you just ask the PM to find you a tenant, and once that is done, you self manage the property?

How did you negotiate this with the PM? Do you pay him a fee for finding the tenant?

I'm interested in self-managing, but have been getting PMs to do the work as I'm concerned I'm not as experienced with finding good tenants. If I'm able to just engage PMs to find me the right tenants then self-manage, that would be a perfect situation for me.

Thanks in advance!

Hi jigglypuff. Yes, we have found two good agents in Brisbane who are happy to take on a "let only" where they take one week's rent plus GST to find us a tenant. We have tried this over many years with other agencies, sent them photos and details only to find we never hear back from them.

I know we can get our houses on re.com now via two different "agencies" but we have built up a relationship with this agency now and it is a little more than the cheapest way to get on re.com, but we have been very happy with the tenants they found us back in January when we had three empty at the same time as my mother was in hospital.

They have just found us another great tenant (lease starts tody) so we will stick with them, I think.

Thanks wylie. That's really helpful info for me!

The agent sounds really good! Shame I'm in Sydney otherwise I would definitely ask for a referral =)

They sound reasonable too in only taking the standard letting fee of one week's rent plus GST.

I will look into this a bit more over the next 6 months and hopefully I'll be able to self manage in the future (will save me some money too as they all add up =S)

Back