backwards sloping block

Just curious for you development experts out there

Obviously completely flat is the best

But how much negative is a rear sloping block in terms of development for town.houses or a three level.apartment block?

Block is approx 40m wide by 50m deep
I think the minimum lot size is 600sqm or 400sqm

Can be + or - depending upon where the drainage is located.

What about design wise for townhouses or apartments??? Im trying to imagine how anything could be a positive?? for apartmetns, the carpark would have to go in deeper, I doubt you could put another apartment in the sloping bit

for town houses, the rear townhouses would have to be on stilts,

cant really seen any positives at all!

The degree of the fall of the land would also dictate the design possibilities.

I've done a townhouse project on a rear-sloping site with height controls, high water-table, etc. The site fell a bit more than a full storey from front to rear. This provided an opportunity to design two rows of 2 1/2-storey townhouses - one facing the street, and the other row facing the rear. With some cut-and-fill, the rear-facing townhouses had elevated living arrangements and accessed at that level, whilst the front-facing townhouses came off the street but had a "half-level" facing the rear. In essence, the townhouses sat nicely into the contours and layout was optimised. The townhouses sold well and the developer laughed all the way to the bank.

There are times where 'difficult' sites can throw up fantastic opportunities to value-add to obtain better returns, which one may not have considered on 'simpler' sites.

The big issue with a block sloping to the rear is where does your stormwater drainage go. Is there a drainage easement available or do you have to negotiate one with the rear neighbour(s)

The degree of the fall of the land would also dictate the design possibilities.

I've done a townhouse project on a rear-sloping site with height controls, high water-table, etc. The site fell a bit more than a full storey from front to rear. This provided an opportunity to design two rows of 2 1/2-storey townhouses - one facing the street, and the other row facing the rear. With some cut-and-fill, the rear-facing townhouses had elevated living arrangements and accessed at that level, whilst the front-facing townhouses came off the street but had a "half-level" facing the rear. In essence, the townhouses sat nicely into the contours and layout was optimised. The townhouses sold well and the developer laughed all the way to the bank.

There are times where 'difficult' sites can throw up fantastic opportunities to value-add to obtain better returns, which one may not have considered on 'simpler' sites.

Do you have an address i can check in google maps? I cant really picture this but it sounds like a great idea.

Back