Bad Friday

I met a German guy who said said they don't call it Good Friday because Jesus died and there's nothing good about dying so they call it Bad Friday. Actually they don't say 'bad' but have their own word for it because Germans have a specific word for everything.

Apparently the word good once also meant holy. So it was originally meant to be Holy Friday, in the same way that the week before is called Holy Week.

I had thought that it had meant God Friday, which is the story I had heard once upon a time, but a quick Google corrected me on that.

Karfreitag.
When I was living in Zurich there is also a "Bad Santa" - Schmutzli, with a black face, who accompanies the good Santa around.

Chocolate is good.
Long weekends are good.

Why are the births and deaths of the other gods also a public holiday?

Buddha, Mohammed, all the Hindu gods ......
Where's the chocolate and holidays for those?

If they don't understand why the death of Christ would be good, they're missing the whole message.

Even Weeds got it.

cN2q0O3.jpg

Not to mention the fact that clinging to your out-dated "atheist" beliefs means you miss the big issues in our modern day society. Like the drastic reduction in the number of pirates sailing the seas, which has a massive correlation with the rise of global warming!

Back