Bad tenant vacacting advice

6 months ago we had 4 rental applications and took the advice of our property management to go with an older couple who already leased a unit around the corner, they came highly recommended.
It became obvious very quickly that they have a major hoarding problem and the property turned to a tip very fast.
Not long after they gave notification that one of the tenants had injured himself and would find moving difficult, to avoid any drams I agreed to extend the lease a further two weeks to keep them happy and hopefully make the vacation easy, the last thing I want is them to be leaving in a hurry.

We are now less than a week from the end of contract date, and the neighbours have informed me that there is absolutely no sign of any packing up, which I must stress will be a major job.
Management have voiced their concerns and are keeping me updated, apparently driving past every day.

I just wanted to ask for any advice from other investors who may have been through a similar situation, any precautions I can now make to ensure a smooth vacate?

I wouldn't be surprised if this lead to our first tribunal, I will not be using the property managers again, prior to these tenants was another highly recommended tenant from hell who stayed 6 months also.

JT - they still have a lease yes?
Sounds like termination by mutual agreement.

If they are still paying, tribunal is likely to go by end lease date.

Why is it not treated as a break lease?

6 months ago we had 4 rental applications and took the advice of our property management to go with an older couple who already leased a unit around the corner, they came highly recommended.
It became obvious very quickly that they have a major hoarding problem and the property turned to a tip very fast.
Not long after they gave notification that one of the tenants had injured himself and would find moving difficult, to avoid any drams I agreed to extend the lease a further two weeks to keep them happy and hopefully make the vacation easy, the last thing I want is them to be leaving in a hurry.

We are now less than a week from the end of contract date, and the neighbours have informed me that there is absolutely no sign of any packing up, which I must stress will be a major job.
Management have voiced their concerns and are keeping me updated, apparently driving past every day.

I just wanted to ask for any advice from other investors who may have been through a similar situation, any precautions I can now make to ensure a smooth vacate?

I wouldn't be surprised if this lead to our first tribunal, I will not be using the property managers again, prior to these tenants was another highly recommended tenant from hell who stayed 6 months also.

JT - they still have a lease yes? Looks like it.
Sounds like termination by mutual agreement. 'End of contract' sounds like a contract ending, not mutually terminating.

If they are still paying, tribunal is likely to go by end lease date. Yep, less than a week.

Why is it not treated as a break lease? Tenant not breaking the lease. Contract date ending.

Did you even read the OP, or did you just like the sound of your fingers tapping the keyboard?

pinkboy

Back