Bad time to put a rental up for lease? How late in Dec? How early in Jan?

Hey guys,

I'm planning on when to put a property up for lease.

How late in December is too late? I.e. Available for rent Dec 15th, is this too late because people are thinking of Xmas? Is the 5th of December too late?

Should I wait until say the 5th of January or so or doesn't it really matter? Or is the 5th too early because people are still away on holidays or is it good because they are away from work and can move in?

Regards,

David.

We have found over many years, that the two weeks before Christmas are almost hopeless. Who is going to move then, unless they really HAVE to move? (Although, I did find a tenant on Christmas Day a couple of years ago. They called Christmas Day and signed up Boxing Day.)

After the new year, from about the first week in January, things start to move again.

I also forgot to mention I can start advertising the property for rent at least 45 days prior if that makes any difference.

It is certainly a period I would avoid, but really, if a house is empty at any time, we just have to advertise and see what happens. If I was planning it, I would avoid that time.

From one of my PM's for the benefit of the forum:

'Hi David,

I beleive that the last week before christmas it starts to quiet down. We find that it can be busy right up to christmas as most like to secure a property before christmas. After the new year it is very quiet for the first couple of weeks and picks back up as the kids go back to school.

If you have any further queries just let me know.'

I'd be looking to advertise starting the first week in January. I've had great success at this time of year and schedule all of my lease renewals for early/mid January.

Hey guys,

I'm planning on when to put a property up for lease.

How late in December is too late? I.e. Available for rent Dec 15th, is this too late because people are thinking of Xmas? Is the 5th of December too late?

Should I wait until say the 5th of January or so or doesn't it really matter? Or is the 5th too early because people are still away on holidays or is it good because they are away from work and can move in?

Regards,

David.

Hi David see the link below for similar post as I (guess) am going to face this situation too..........

http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55577

KK

We also make our leases due mid January, but our PM has said that mid December is good too. Lots of people move at the end/beginning of the year to fit in with school years.
Marg

And if the renters don't like Xmas, as I don't, moving at this time would not matter.
I'm so happy this is the last Xmas I have to celebrate.

Back