bags of cement per 1000

Somewhere (which I cant find) someone knew the quantities required of sand cement and lime per 1000 bricks. As we are about to employ a brickie who wants us to buy this stuff (and fallen for this in the past where they just kept saying they needed more and more, obviously using it on a job where they were providing it) I wonder if anyone can enlighten me on quantities I would expect to buy.

there are 52 bricks in a sq meter, and you would use about 1m3 of sand in a 1000 bricks , expect 10 bags of builders cement @ about $8 bucks a bag per 1m3 of sand and allow for 1 lime per m2 of brickys sand.
you will also need ties either stubbie ties for any veneer walls and the wire ones for the base work , in a std home two-three bundels of wire ties and about 4-5 boxes for the vaneer.

you need to get stainless steel brick ties if your near the ocean, and if the house is being rendered use the water proofing additive in the base work OK!

i think i covered it, oH! there are 36 bags of cement on a pallet i think? :D

20kg bags or 40kg....do they still make 40kg bags....??? going soft we are...:rolleyes:
hehe In my line of work we often concrete steel posts in the ground and use 1x 40kg bag per post, I was doing some contracting work for another company one time and the boss said to use 2x bags per leg.
When I quizzed him about it he said oh! we use 20kg bags because our guys don't like lifting the 40kg bags and that's exactly what I thought big softies.

Not so much as going soft, but protection against insurance claims and workers comp. Our policies and procedures at work have been restructured on Manual Handling. (A few years ago now though).

I don't think the advisory standards (or codes of practice now) actually specify a maximum weight to lift, as there are different factors involved in assessing the risk. Identifying a range of issues with respect to the load provides an outcome for lifting a load or not. Generally, you assess the load as you do the work. i.e. frequency and lifting duration, the distance the laod has to be lifted and moved, the centre of gravity, load size and composition, etc, etc, not mentioning the variance in lifters (i.e. male / female, etc)

The amount of paperwork we need to write in our method statement, Job safety analysis sheets, work activity briefing sheets, Inspection and Test plans and relevant safety checklists is pretty alarming. Supervisors on site need a bloody filing cabinet in the back of their truck just to keep up with the paperwork.

And this, to some extent, should protect the worker during work, and also the contractor against any impending law suit.

F

...not to mention the loss of productivity from wasting time filling out sheets of paper everyday...assessing this and that....ridiculous....!

I have worked in the building game all my working life and worked hard and lifted heavy stuff probably too many times but I'm still ok, I did it carefully, not all the time but knew how to lift....but...my back can go out just sitting down or looking around behind me....go figure...:rolleyes:

It's no wonder people can't afford housing any more..the cost of building has skyrocketed with all this crap...bring back the good ole days....

What about the people who lift weights in training....????
How would a pro footballer write out his method statement...?

...not to mention the loss of productivity from wasting time filling out sheets of paper everyday...assessing this and that....ridiculous....!

I have worked in the building game all my working life and worked hard and lifted heavy stuff probably too many times but I'm still ok, I did it carefully, not all the time but knew how to lift....but...my back can go out just sitting down or looking around behind me....go figure...:rolleyes:

It's no wonder people can't afford housing any more..the cost of building has skyrocketed with all this crap...bring back the good ole days....

What about the people who lift weights in training....????
How would a pro footballer write out his method statement...?

Yep, exactly thorpey,

Maybe we should start bringing to work those big weightlifting belts.:)

Maybe I will include in my next JSA.

F

Back