Balcony or no balcony?

Hi all

We are in the process of obtaining tenders for our home build.

Wondering if we should go with a facade with a balcony. We really like the look of it - but I think the balcony may be useless, as its not like we have any views from our block. It does seem like a waste of money, as the funds may be better spent on other upgrades...

Its tempting though, as it is not everyday one builds a home.

Thanks
monalisa

Last edited:
If its at the front it will never get used, put the money towards something better like 2.6-3m ceilings

Not much point unless you have a view to enjoy from it...

Put the money into other areas of the house that will be more useful ....maybe some landscaping etc.

When building our PPOR we decided against. Balconies looking onto the front road are where pot plants and aging furniture go to die.

Agree with spending money elsewhere.

Last edited:
Thanks all. Agreed, less is more!

Decided to do without a balcony. It looks good in display homes, but we like our low maintenance.

I disagree. A balcony is functional. It's like an extra room. Doesn't matter if there is no view. If it faces the street, there is the view with the people passing by.

You wouldn't buy a unit without a balcony would you?

We have a back tiled area off the family kitchen/living room at pool/yard level and a front verandah off the other front living areas. The front verandah/deck overlooks the front yard and street on the second level as our yard slopes down from back to front so we get a nice view over the yard and the neighbourhood, but we don't see sweeping plains of wilderbeest or Krakatoa errupting but we enjoy getting out into the fresh air most of the year.

We use both outdoor areas a LOT at different times of the day and different times of the year.

I say have somewhere that you can sit outside, preferably a choice of two places (in a good climate).

Last edited:
Some things to consider:
- will you use the balcony?
- does it cost much ? can you afford it?
- street appeal: does the house look better with or without the balcony?
- is the balcony going to add more resale value to the property (more than its cost)
- does anyone upstairs smoke and might want to pop out for a midnight ciggie.
- do you have a pet? (litter tray, fresh air)

Depending on your plans, I do think balconies can provide some privacy to the rooms upstairs by way of the setback and ability to have pot plants, also it serves as a verandah/porch for the entrance below.

Some things to consider:
- will you use the balcony?
- does it cost much ? can you afford it?
- street appeal: does the house look better with or without the balcony?
- is the balcony going to add more resale value to the property (more than its cost)
- does anyone upstairs smoke and might want to pop out for a midnight ciggie.
- do you have a pet? (litter tray, fresh air)

Depending on your plans, I do think balconies can provide some privacy to the rooms upstairs by way of the setback and ability to have pot plants, also it serves as a verandah/porch for the entrance below.

- will you use the balcony? Unlikely
- does it cost much ? can you afford it? It will cost at least 15K. I'd rather spend $ on other upgrades. It is a 'want' and not a need.
- street appeal: does the house look better with or without the balcony? With... I like the look of houses with balconies.
- is the balcony going to add more resale value to the property (more than its cost) - Doubt it.
- does anyone upstairs smoke and might want to pop out for a midnight ciggie. Nope
- do you have a pet? (litter tray, fresh air) Nope

Back