Votes: 34 48.6%
  • Yes due to the AFP's involvement

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • No, they were going to do it anyway

Votes: 7 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Some points to ponder:

1. Drug peddlers will keep doing what they do, the death penalty is no deterrent. There will be many more drug mules and peddlers to replace the ones who are executed.

2. The two who are facing imminent execution did not have drugs on them - they were convicted on the basis of testimony from others who were actually carrying the drugs.

3. They are nowhere as pretty as Shapelle Corby, so why should we interfere with another country's legal decisions.

i voted no

its a fact that drugs ruin lives. These guys made their choice to participate. capital punishment wont stop the problem but it will, in my opinion deter people from becoming mules which will lead to less drugs and less lives ruin. its "for the greater good"

however i do feel sorry for their families and even the indonesian president who have to make the decisions.

I don't believe in the death penalty as retribution. Those boys are guilty of being greedy and stupid. I don't believe they cannot be rehabilitated. However, imho, I do believe in the death penalty for paedophiles and serial killers, more to put them out of their misery and because paedos can't be rehabilitated.

I have pretty much the same thoughts. But to commit a crime like this in another country is a death wish.

Australia doesn't have the death penalty and therefore we should be trying to prevent any of our citizens anywhere in the world being executed for crimes.

We'll stomp our feet and waive our hands, but in the end Indonesia will not grant clemency. IMO it's still worth it, as each occasion must have some small influence over other countries considering abolishing the death penalty.

What's really wrong is the AFP tipped of the Indo authorities. They could have easily arrested the gang when they returned to Australia. We don't (I believe) extradite people to countries where they may face the death penalty for their alleged crimes. Then why should we tip off other countries about crimes that may get our citizens the death penalty?

I am for the death penalty for first degree murder (obviously depending on the circumstances )

Im totally against the death penalty for less crimes

I have no evidence but i feel that they are truly remoseful
and if they were hypothetically released, they would continue to do their chairty work. Unlike some previous drug convicts

Even if they are spared the death penalty, they have to spend the rest of their lives in a cage in a thrid world country! Not much of a let off to be honest

Voted : NO

They chose that path, they deserve the consequences of their actions.

Should have been ended after they were found guilty years ago.

Sick of the media, sick of the celebrities trying to aid for clemency.

No Sympathy.

Last edited:
State sanctioned killing is absurd. It does nothing to aid victims or deter crime. Most countries have evolved beyond it. Some are well on their way. Some never will, and that list is a pretty good list of countries to avoid.

Wow I can't believe there's so many heartless a-holes on this forum.
I voted yes for the obvious reasons but Ed Barton nailed it best. I'd give you kudos but it's not possible on smartphone.

Wow I can't believe there's so many heartless a-holes on this forum.
I voted yes for the obvious reasons but Ed Barton nailed it best. I'd give you kudos but it's not possible on smartphone.

Heartless a-holes? They were trafficking herion - do you think they gave a ***** about the people who they got hooked on this stuff, or the people who over dosed on it? Doubt it.

What's really wrong is the AFP tipped of the Indo authorities. They could have easily arrested the gang when they returned to Australia.

Then why should we tip off other countries about crimes that may get our citizens the death penalty?

I'd hazard a guess...Australia stuffed up by allowing them to pass out of the country before arrest and to save face to keep international political relations with Indonesia.

Imagine the political unrest created if Australia didnt inform them and Indonesia learned about them AFTER we arrested Nine coming back into our border AFTER they dropped the drugs in Indonesia.

Last edited:
Heartless a-holes? They were trafficking herion - do you think they gave a ***** about the people who they got hooked on this stuff, or the people who over dosed on it? Doubt it.

They didn't get anyone hooked. People choose to take drugs. Everyone knows the risks. Same argument people are using against them: they knew the risk, they pay the price.

Off topic, but why the antagonism only toward the seller in a freely entered into transaction?

If there weren't people out there selling the stuff then there wouldn't be people buying it would there? I get what your saying though. They're all as bad as each other. What about the victims of crime from drug related offences? There's a whole list of problems caused by drugs so I dont feel sorry for them at all, I do feel for their family and friends though.

If there weren't people out there selling the stuff then there wouldn't be people buying it would there? I get what your saying though. They're all as bad as each other. What about the victims of crime from drug related offences? There's a whole list of problems caused by drugs so I dont feel sorry for them at all, I do feel for their family and friends though.

How do you feel about the damage caused by alcohol, a government sanctioned drug?
You're probably too young to remember prohibition but Pepperidge Farm remembers when the government decided to make alcohol illegal. Then they changed their mind after 13 years and made it legal again. So now it's the number one cause of crime and suffering. Future generations will also look back at us and think what the hell were they thinking to make the consumption of some drugs a criminal offence and not others.

So more than 50% accept capital punishment? Unbelievable. Throat slashing brings faster deaths, but there are long threads claiming it as barbaric. But firing squad seems fine to you all.

Capital punishment itself is barbaric. Supporting firing squad is supporting ISIS style executions as well. It is their law. The end result is the same.

Reactions: dex
That is more than stretching it.

Probably.

Capital punishment is abolished here in Australia some 50 years ago. But the Aussies here are supporting capital punishment with firing squad. ISIS executions are still practiced in those regions. If Aussies can support capital punishment, what is barbaric in their executions?

Back