Votes: 34 48.6%
  • Yes due to the AFP's involvement

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • No, they were going to do it anyway

Votes: 7 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Probably.

Capital punishment is abolished here in Australia some 50 years ago. But the Aussies here are supporting capital punishment with firing squad. ISIS executions are still practiced in those regions. If Aussies can support capital punishment, what is barbaric in their executions?

I don't know if firing squad is to be considered barbaric. Possibly beheading (probably depends on how well it's applied). Stoning is definitely a barbaric form of execution.

Another difference lies in the type of crime that is punishable by death and due process that takes place prior to execution.

So more than 50% accept capital punishment? Unbelievable. Throat slashing brings faster deaths, but there are long threads claiming it as barbaric. But firing squad seems fine to you all.

Capital punishment itself is barbaric. Supporting firing squad is supporting ISIS style executions as well. It is their law. The end result is the same.

Well, I voted no, and I think capital punishment is barbaric? WTF? How does that work?

The question wasn't "Is capital punishment barbaric" in which case I'd have said yes, the question was "Should they be granted clemency". It doesn't matter what anyone here thinks.

It's another country. They have their own rules. These idiots knew the rules. They took the chance and lost. Lost big time. It's Indonesia, not Australia.

That's why I voted no.

See ya's.

Am against capital punishment.

Feeling very sad for the families, imagine if it was your child, of course they did wrong, but what are we achieving here.

MTR

Am against capital punishment.

Feeling very sad for the families, imagine if it was your child, of course they did wrong, but what are we achieving here.

MTR

Lesson for others, chances are these kind of things will deter people from trying to traffic into indonesia.

The question wasn't "Is capital punishment barbaric" in which case I'd have said yes, the question was "Should they be granted clemency". It doesn't matter what anyone here thinks.

Clemancy here is whether to shoot them or not. ie whether they are given capital punishment or not. Of course it doesn't matter what anyone here thinks. That is how the ISIS feels as well.

Lesson for others, chances are these kind of things will deter people from trying to traffic into indonesia.

Well, that is what I am pointing out. Jihadists are killing the non-believers "as a lesson for others". Accept that as well and move on.

Let them choose to donate all their organs.
They will still live on, and do a LOT of people some good.

Donate organs? You mean donate legs and arms? Three bullet to the chest and then the head blown off with another bullet. What organ you want to donate after that? Probably you meant operating and taking out the organs first an then shoot them?

Well, that is what I am pointing out. Jihadists are killing the non-believers "as a lesson for others". Accept that as well and move on.

Donate organs? You mean donate legs and arms? Three bullet to the chest and then the head blown off with another bullet. What organ you want to donate after that? Probably you meant operating and taking out the organs first an then shoot them?

Well, if the offer was to donate their organs...they may have a different type of execution.
Sedated first...

Well, if the offer was to donate their organs...they may have a different type of execution.
Sedated first...

Sorry kathryn, it doesn't work that way in Indonesia. Capital punishment is unacceptable. That is what Australia thought some 50 years ago.

I disagree with the death penalty.

I am hoping for some karmic retribution for the corrupt police commissioner who allowed Australians to be exposed to the death penalty because he was too lazy to make the collar here in Australia.

I thought there was a firing squad of 6, but only one has a bullet. They all aim and shoot. None of the shooters know who actually kills the criminal. Not sure where I heard /read this though.

And as for the slitting of throats being quicker. Those who are committing those atrocities are trying to inflict as much pain as possible and it would not be quick.

So more than 50% accept capital punishment? Unbelievable. Throat slashing brings faster deaths, but there are long threads claiming it as barbaric. But firing squad seems fine to you all.

Capital punishment itself is barbaric. Supporting firing squad is supporting ISIS style executions as well. It is their law. The end result is the same.
I also find it incredible how many people voted in favour of capital punishment, yes people who support this probably would see some distorted justification in the ISIS executions. The Indonesian system is barbaric and backward, but maybe we?re not so different from them after all.

Um? No,,,? Why on earth would you think that? Innocent people verses drug dealers? Just a silly thing to say.
The prevailing excuse of "you break their laws you pay their price" (however crap they may be). Many death proponents would sympathize somewhat with other draconian death penalties around the world.

I noticed on the teev news yesterday; right after the latest (mindnumbing) update on the two dudes in Bali - some raids here in Melb on 13 - yes that's 13 properties for drugs for that day.

Cap punishment might be too harsh a penalty, but geez; we need to take a leaf out of Bali's notebook and get a lot tougher on these people here in Aus...with the wrist-slap penalties we offer here; no wonder there is so much of it around.

Many death proponents would sympathize somewhat with other draconian death penalties around the world.

I'm sorry, but that is a ridiculous thing to say. I don't think these two necessarily deserve the death penalty for their crime, but I do believe in personal responsibility and accountability. They did their crime knowing full well the potential consequences. That's why I voted no.

I do generally support the death penalty for very serious crimes eg crimes against children - but in no way does that mean I support or sympathise with 'draconian' penalties around the world! What a strange inference to make.

Do the people commenting here have any idea about drugs?
My BIL became schizophrenic and paranoid after becoming a regular user of MJ, and later he and his girlfriend (another MJ user) killed themselves together. You could argue that the drugs had no direct relevance to his state of mind, but we all noticed the change in his mentality and behaviour after a while.

Another friend of my mother has a son who was a heroin addict (still is as far as I know) and he has caused himself and the family huge dramas and problems over the years - stolen property, cops, hospitals and so forth.

I don't know any ice or cocaine etc users to comment or give anecdotal examples.

Back