• No

Votes: 34 48.6%
  • Yes due to the AFP's involvement

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • No, they were going to do it anyway

Votes: 7 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Whether a new president wants to save face or the fact that drug dealing is a despicable crime it doesn't matter, killing convicted people is never okay IMO.
They way a society treats such people is a reflection of its institutions and standing IMO

What are they about then?

It can't be political, because the Indonesians have been executing drug traffickers for ages before this; it's a storm in a tea-cup to them currently what is going on with our 2 boys.

They couldn't care less about the Nationalities of the various offenders - as proven by their wide range of Countries represented in their executions...

In the minds of the Indonesians; they see drugs as a very bad thing; hence the penalty.

I think we all agree that the penalty is too harsh/barbaric.

All their previous leaders have ordered executions as far as I know.

So, it's not all about him.

We Aussies are looking through a tiny window in time.

It's very murky and complicated... SBY was not a fan of capital punishment and ordered very few executions (the Bali bombers being one of the few exceptions). Jokowi campaigned that he was tough on drugs and straight away started up the executions to please the public.

It's definitely not a storm in a tea-cup, Indonesia was slowly moving away from the death penalty, especially for drug related crime. It's a big deal what's happening over there at the moment. Lot's of people will be loosing their lives.

The Brazilians are very unhappy and I think from memory recalled their ambassador, Indonesia killed one of their citizens last month and another will be done shortly, I think they both had/have mental issues also.

All their previous leaders have ordered executions as far as I know.
Widodo is an order of magnitude worse. Itś absolutely about politics, not about drugs as evident in Indonesias lax attitude to other drugs which do more harm, and their specific targeting of foreigners and clemency for the locals.

The Australian government needs to take the gloves off after this with some serious measures. I will not be going to Indonesia again, I hope many thousands of others will not either. The Boycott Bali movement is gaining traction.

the Australian government doesn't 'need' to do anything. And the fact that they dobbed these blokes in puts them in a real pickle anyway - some would say the Australian govt has done too much already

Not my words but read this a while ago,and i agree.

The Indonesians have no respect for life. This is a giant "f* you" to Australia...a bit like when they let the Bali bombers out of jail.

Not my words but read this a while ago,and i agree.

The Indonesians have no respect for life. This is a giant "f* you" to Australia...a bit like when they let the Bali bombers out of jail.

The Indonesians have no respect for life? What a load of cr@p.

It's got nothing to do with Australia, they're doing it to many foreigners. This is typical of the fear-mongering you constantly hear about the Indonesians.

The publicity surrounding these 2 men has been huge.

I wonder if it has made anyone reconsider drug smuggling in Indonesia now?

Let's hope it has.

Let's hope it has.

Yes, the publicity has been fantastic hasn't it? Very proud to see that there are so many people speaking up against the death penalty. One day it will be abolished in Indonesia and history will view it as the barbaric act that it is.

Let's hope it has.

depends, it's all about greed and money. Whereas before you could say that you would probably get away with some gaol time and the reward is therefore 'x', now it's execution so the price has gone up to 'y'

Doesn't stop others offending, was the point .

doesn't have to. even if it stops only one criminal from re-offending it's already served it's purpose.

also it would have more effect on other offenders, if it was applied more, and people didn't spend years waiting to be executed.

currently part of the problem is that some spend 20-30 years on death row, so the public knows that even if they do get death penalty it will be years and years before it's actually actioned.

whereas if the whole process took only around a year - there would be a stronger reinforcement.

If one of those mules was your daughter, I wonder if you'd still think they deserve to die for breaking the law. Keep in mind that particular law could be changed next year if the govt changes their mind like we've seen recently in the U.S. But too bad, your kids broke the law when it was "illegal" so now they're dead. Forever.

on the other hand if my daughter was a victim of the heroin they brought into the country, not only would i still say they deserve to die, but i'd also be happy to pull the trigger myself.

No I think that's saved your husband, who said he'd happily kill people and bragged about his abilities...

is the problem that you don't believe his ability to do it and you think he is full of it? Or just the general touchy feely issues around it? I know people that would pull the trigger on these guys. Comes down to your training and background. For me, I'm just an office boy and I am sure the reality of pulling the trigger would be quite shocking

is the problem that you don't believe his ability to do it and you think he is full of it? Or just the general touchy feely issues around it? I know people that would pull the trigger on these guys. Comes down to your training and background. For me, I'm just an office boy and I am sure the reality of pulling the trigger would be quite shocking

I didn't call him a keyboard warrior so you'll have to ask whoever did. Call me a bleeding heart but I think it's a tad weird to say you'd personally volunteer to blow someone's head off. Not something on my bucket list...

on the other hand if my daughter was a victim of the heroin they brought into the country, not only would i still say they deserve to die, but i'd also be happy to pull the trigger myself.

On the other hand you should be pulling the trigger on your daughter for being such a loser. She has no-one to blame but herself.

keyboard warroior of 2015 !

oops, someone has already taken that position!

its a wonder why I have yet to hear one story in my entire life of this or similar being carried out

Back